Sign in to follow this  
quit_yume

How is Marinduque?

quit_yume

I have tentative plans to do some traveling around Marinduque in January.  Just wondering if I need to be on higher alert there or is it basically ok?   

I know there are some NPA there but I dont know their activity level or general level of hostility there.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-quito

JoeLansing

I have tentative plans to do some traveling around Marinduque in January.  Just wondering if I need to be on higher alert there or is it basically ok?   

I know there are some NPA there but I dont know their activity level or general level of hostility there.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-quito

I wouldn't worry about it.  Most places are fine until you get into south Mindano/Zulu Peninsula.  (Read Muslim areas).   On Bohol when I was there the NPA had quite a presence.  The worst they'd do is ask you for a small donation and you could just say no.  But if you gave them a good donation they'd let you shoot their guns.. :)   I used to live on the streets as a kid and I'm kinda fearless to a point.  You can make anyplace you are a lot safer by not acting timid, don't flash lots of cash, keep fancy cell phones, laptops, and cameras out of sight.  If someone was checking me out when I used an ATM I'd go walking over to them after I got my pesos and ask them "do you know me?" :)  You can also make anyplace a lot more dangerous by doing dumb things or acting like a timid victim.   Back in 2006 I was told not to go to Carbon Market by expats and my girl.  I took that advice.

- Joe

Edited by JoeLansing
  • Like 1

Monsoon

Some friends of mine went there and stayed at an uber expensive resort. They won a free nights stay but paid for the second night. It was crazy expensive but they said it was nice. They took their car over and drove around the island. They didn't say anything about danger or potential danger. Neither of them are Filipino.

spritsail

whoops - sorry the latest online version has not been added to the site. The webmaster quit a couple of months ago