Dollar Bank Account Hell

USMC-Retired

Yep think outside the box but really who wants to do that much thinking.  Should they (banks) not what if the situation and ensure that customers have a enjoyable experience.  However it is what it is and you must endure this and prepare yourself mentally. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monsoon

• RogerDuMond

• streak03

• JSL-USMC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a land of thieves and liars - these rules exist for a reason.   When you remind yourself where you are it's not stupidity it's perfect sense.

Well it seems stupidity knows no bounds. I have lived in Cebu for 8 years and decided today to open a dollar bank account. This would allow dollar transfers from my USA bank account.  So my first stop

Salty,   I transfer money all the time from my USAA account to my wifes account at BDO.  Its an overseas wire, USAA charges me 35.00 no matter how much I send over.

streak03

Terrance,

Yep, I send a bit more than that over on occasion.  Its very easy to just give USAA a call, have them send it, and its in BDO in about 2-3 days. USAA is the bank I use in the US.

Edited by streak03
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Xoom Exchange rate sucks  42.2350 PHP per $1 US  today.,  Western Union is much better 42.9350 PHP per $1 US  today

• Like 1
johnormoc

My wife had a dollar account at China Bank. When we were building our house, I wanted to deposit some funds in it so she'd have the resources to cover the ongoing expenses for the house materials. I went to deposit a check for $2,500 and they wouldn't take it.  They said it was too large of an amount and wanted me to write 5 separate checks of $500 each and deposit them on different days. Makes absolutely no sense. Like the OP said, I have no idea why anyone would want to do business here. You really have to leave your brain at immigration when you enter this country.

I  use a service called Remithome.  Currently their rate is 42.30 plus they charge me $10 up to $1000 per day.  I have been using them for several years and they allow me to send more and they move the funds in about 24-36 hours.

My bank back in the US is Affinity Plus FCU

throttleplate

I deposited $5000.00 check written to myself and was in my account in less than 2 weeks at BDO.Maybe because I sat down with the more older and wiser man that works there and treated him with courtesy and didn't stress out he did more for me than I would expect from a usa bank.Since then he has become a friend whom I will pop into the bank when walking by just to say hi.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I deposited $5000.00 check written to myself and was in my account in less than 2 weeks at BDO.Maybe because I sat down with the more older and wiser man that works there and treated him with courtesy and didn't stress out he did more for me than I would expect from a usa bank.Since then he has become a friend whom I will pop into the bank when walking by just to say hi.

While we are on the topic I am curious what was the bottom line cost? I thought BDO charges a fee for clearing US checks? Did they give you their published rate when it cleared?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

JSL-USMC

Why use USAA (whatever that is) for $35 when Xoom only charges $5 for transfers up to $2,999.  Maybe you were transferring more?

I think XOOM makes their profit on the exchange rate. Quite a hefty one at that. Half of a peso on $3000 is 1500 is $35. You ain't gonna beat em.

Majorsco

I think XOOM makes their profit on the exchange rate. Quite a hefty one at that. Half of a peso on $3000 is 1500 is $35. You ain't gonna beat em.

Yes that's true. I get my transfer to a bank in less than 5 minutes. I use them every month to transfer my retirement. I wouldn't trust the banks here.

throttleplate

While we are on the topic I am curious what was the bottom line cost? I thought BDO charges a fee for clearing US checks? Did they give you their published rate when it cleared?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

no fee,money from check deposited matched current rate at that time.
RogerDuMond

Opened both peso and dollar accounts at HSBC before leaving the US with $10 each.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I was just talking to BPI and apparently I can open a BPI account in the US. I haven't had a chance to discuss all the terms with them yet as I had to go to another appointment. They did say it would be a US based account number, SWIFT code, ABA# etc. 

So that could be interesting way to transfer from US to Philippines. 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Opened both peso and dollar accounts at HSBC before leaving the US with $10 each.

You won't do that today.

Wondering when they will update their slogan to a more appropriate one:

HSBC - the world's terrorism bank...

RogerDuMond

You won't do that today.

Maybe not as that was a little over 2 years ago.

Why use USAA (whatever that is) for $35 when Xoom only charges $5 for transfers up to $2,999.  Maybe you were transferring more?

I transfer US $ to my HSBC dollar account here for free...why spend $5, when you don't have to? 

I keep only about $50 in that $ account and am a wondering why have US$ in an account here?  Certainly, the bank

isn't paying interest.