Buying and using a DVR in Philippines

I wonder if any members have been able to set up a Digital Video Recorder here.  I have no experience with using a DVR.  

Presently, I have Dream Satellite with a flat screen Samsung TV.  That's it.  I have a separate speaker for the audio portion, but otherwise, no other add-ons.

I am unsure if it is even possible to use a DVR here.  Furthermore, where I would buy one.

I assume the Dream box I have will not permit any sort of channel selection beyond what I do now (use the remote control).  

I would like to record a program which may be on at hours I am not around to watch the program.  I am hoping a device can be used to simply connect to the Dream Box, and set the DVR to record at a specified time.

Of course, since I know next to nothing about these devices, I may be completely out of my league and use of a DVR is not possible here.

Any advice on locating a DVR and setting one up?

Theres a good chance cdr king would have one.

just connect it between your sat box and the tv. mostly all the leads will be in the box

Majorsco

You would have to use the record by time feature since the DVD would not be able to change the channels. It would work like a VCR.

For it go change channels you would have to have one with a satellite tuner for dream. Not likely to have one available so either use a PC with dvr sw or a any dvr with time recording.

Six years ago in the US I had DirecTv with an HD DVR.  I could watch record 2 HD channels and watch a third at the same time.  But that was six years ago so maybe wait another 15 years and you can have that here.

Cignal satellite seems to have the most advance system but unfortunately no DVR yet that I know of.

If you can find a simple DVR you could set it record at a certain time and leave your tuner set to the right channel.  Hardly a simple click record from the menu but better than nothing.

You would have to use the record by time feature since the DVD would not be able to change the channels. It would work like a VCR. For it go change channels you would have to have one with a satellite tuner for dream. Not likely to have one available so either use a PC with dvr sw or a any dvr with time recording.

Thanks. What is a DVR sw?

What do you mean for it go change channels?

Not sure what is meant by satellite tuner for dream. I have a dream system with a box and antenna which I set for one channel at a time.

Edited by MikeeW
ricoevangelista

If you are looking for a DVR to buy here in the Philippines, you might find one.  But if you are expecting that they would function like the DVRs provided by cable services in the US like AT&T and Comcast, you'll just end up disappointed.  The DVR is mere electronic equipment but the DVR system that makes it function is tied down with the cable service providers system.  So if a Comcast user steals a DVR from an AT&T user it will not function the same way, worse case scenario it might not function at all.  If you buy a separate device not provided by your cable services, the best that it can do is record the program.  But if you hope to program it to record on a certain time when the program you wanted to record starts, I doubt that could be possible.  The better alternative would be is to get a good internet service.  TV programs that you missed can always be found on the internet.  Buy a PC that have HDMI ports so you could use an HDMI cable to connect it to your wide screen and us it as a computer monitor.   

If you are looking for a DVR to buy here in the Philippines, you might find one.  But if you are expecting that they would function like the DVRs provided by cable services in the US like AT&T and Comcast, you'll just end up disappointed.  The DVR is mere electronic equipment but the DVR system that makes it function is tied down with the cable service providers system.  So if a Comcast user steals a DVR from an AT&T user it will not function the same way, worse case scenario it might not function at all.  If you buy a separate device not provided by your cable services, the best that it can do is record the program.  But if you hope to program it to record on a certain time when the program you wanted to record starts, I doubt that could be possible.  The better alternative would be is to get a good internet service.  TV programs that you missed can always be found on the internet.  Buy a PC that have HDMI ports so you could use an HDMI cable to connect it to your wide screen and us it as a computer monitor.

Thanks for the clear explanation. I can see now that it won't work. I guess I woul gave to just leave the DVR running and record on a single channel to "catch" the show I wanted. Not very practical.

I don't have a way to used to Internet for recording, though that does sound like a better option.

You can set the dream box to change and show particular channels at particular times. It will switch automatically. But as mentioned it would have to be switched on all the time.

My problem is they have a one month schedule and repeat stuff all month. If you miss something no doubt it will be on again that week. For series I miss I just buy the DVD for 50 pesos.

Not sure what dream box you have, but I don't have any option to show particular channels at a specified time.

I'm not trying to catch regular programming, like a series. I have no faith in dream or any other provider to show what they claim. Especially dream. They are unreliable and unpredictable.

My intention is to record a specific program such as a movie which comes on at a time I am not at home or late in the evening.

Majorsco

I have both dream and Cignal in my house and I don't see the option in dream. Cignal has it but you have to confirm the change ten minutes before program otherwise it doesn't change.

This won't help you in your current situation, but Sky has a DVR in Manila and will bring it to Cebu.... who knows when.  This is one thing I really miss from home!  And as you say, the shows (U.S. football and golf) are often shown when I'm asleep.  Sky in Cebu does have a new system called IRecord, but you have to plug a portable hard drive into the Sky receiver and it's pretty cumbersome.  I tried it and it works - ok.  Clarity isn't great and the recordings are spotty.

We have Sky cable and bought a Panasonic DVR in Saudi when I was working there, installed it to the tv and sky cable box, works very well BUT you can only set the timer to the programme displayed on the box.

I used to see DVR for sale in Cebu a few years ago but have not seen them recently.

Maybe try searching on the internet may help.