Vegetables and Fruits Grown in the Philippines

JamesMusslewhite

USMC-Retired
2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

I didn't see pinto beans on the list. Not possible or not available? I love a good smoked ham hock and beans over rice. Or of course to use in tacos/burrito. Speaking of which, are tortilla's both corn and flour available readily? I'll be in Argao soon! Was thinking about bring some bags of seed from the local nursery to the Philippines and found this thread.

Get a pressure cooker.  Beans are not very good in the PH and without a pressure cooker it was almost impossible to find quality beans that soften up.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• tomaw

• Richard K

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you want to grow a garden or farm crop in the Philippines? What the heck grows here?    When wanting to decide what vegetables and fruits grow well for your farm and garden needs you have to do

They sell 20 foot lengths of white 3/4 inch PVC water pipe in Cebu. I have seen it in a hardware outlet on Mactan. it can be used to make an easy 12 foot X 50 foot rain house that will allow you to gr

Fruit Trees of the Philippines Alvocado (Persea americana) Banana (Saging (Musa sapientum) Barbados nut or Purging nut(Jatropha) (Jatropha curcas) Bilimbi (Kamias) (Averrhoa bilimbi) Breadfruit (

Bigfish

55 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

Get a pressure cooker.  Beans are not very good in the PH and without a pressure cooker it was almost impossible to find quality beans that soften up.  

hmmm, 

So, maybe I should bring a 1 or 2lb bag with me in my luggage and grow my own? Any knowledge of others doing so?

Should I buy some seed packets of anything in particular here before I depart that's not as good there or less available?

Richard K
32 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Should I buy some seed packets of anything in particular here before I depart that's not as good there or less available?

If you like collards bring some seeds. I cannot find the seeds here and it grows really well.

Jim_in_Jax
5 hours ago, Bigfish said:

I didn't see pinto beans on the list. Not possible or not available? I love a good smoked ham hock and beans over rice.

As for the pinto beans, they're available but not everywhere.  I have found them at Super Metro before and they cooked up nice, without a pressure cooker.  I like a good pot of beans with smoked ham hocks also, but I have not been able to find smoked pork, not that I've gone on a big quest to search it out.  Generally in all the groceries we've shopped, there hasn't been any.  You'll need to get a smoker and make your own I think.

As for taco shells, I have seen the hard corn shells in the box like Ortega but I haven't found any soft flour tortillas.  Guess those will need to be home made also.  Love some pintos cooked in enchilada sauce with ground beef and green chili's served over rice with some flour tortillas on the side.  Mmmm-MM

• Like 1
Richard K

I have found pinto's and red kidney beans. I always soak overnight and cook long and slow. They always cook through good. The last batch I made I put in a bunch of crispy pata and some of those tiny red chili's... it was awesome

I found flour tortilla's at SM market in AC and some really good local made plain salted corn chips

• Like 2
Bigfish
1 hour ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

As for the pinto beans, they're available but not everywhere.  I have found them at Super Metro before and they cooked up nice, without a pressure cooker.  I like a good pot of beans with smoked ham hocks also, but I have not been able to find smoked pork, not that I've gone on a big quest to search it out.  Generally in all the groceries we've shopped, there hasn't been any.  You'll need to get a smoker and make your own I think.

As for taco shells, I have seen the hard corn shells in the box like Ortega but I haven't found any soft flour tortillas.  Guess those will need to be home made also.  Love some pintos cooked in enchilada sauce with ground beef and green chili's served over rice with some flour tortillas on the side.  Mmmm-MM

Making my own smoker sounds like a good project. 

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite
On 02/07/2017 at 8:38 AM, Bigfish said:

Making my own smoker sounds like a good project. 

You find quite a few excellent websites with free downloadable plans. I want to make a medium size smoker myself capable of hanging a 1/4 cow or pig. Next to it I want a fair size clay oven so I can bake breads and pizza. There is a flavor that wood-burning ovens bring to a loaf, pizza. etc that is not found when using propane ovens.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Good evening, may I ask where can I find a Chicory plant here in the Philippines?

Edited by KIM
Richard K

why?.. I do not mean that meanly.. i just wonder why... it really is not even a good "green" to eat even tho many southern weeds are.. believe me I have eaten fence line greens and called them good.. I mean no offense.. I am just curious

JamesMusslewhite
On 13/07/2017 at 7:20 PM, Richard K said:

why?.. I do not mean that meanly.. i just wonder why... it really is not even a good "green" to eat even tho many southern weeds are.. believe me I have eaten fence line greens and called them good.. I mean no offense.. I am just curious

Living on the Texas Gulf Coast it is common to use the leaf and roots of Chicory leaves and roots are used as a vegetable for use in soups and stews. The roots and roasted and ground then brewed in coffee or teas and used for many heath benefits as a sedative and appetite stimulant when you have a bad cold or flu. It is a known probiotic which helps maintain healthy gut flora. Chicory tea is also believed to help with conditions like diarrhea, constipation and indigestion. I also read where it is believed to have properties which may aid those with vascular disease and certain cancers.

cebubird
3 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Living on the Texas Gulf Coast it is common to use the leaf and roots of Chicory leaves and roots are used as a vegetable for use in soups and stews. The roots and roasted and ground then brewed in coffee or teas and used for many heath benefits as a sedative and appetite stimulant when you have a bad cold or flu. It is a known probiotic which helps maintain healthy gut flora. Chicory tea is also believed to help with conditions like diarrhea, constipation and indigestion. I also read where it is believed to have properties which may aid those with vascular disease and certain cancers.

"chicory"-wow-never knew that-grew up in household where Luzianne coffee and chicory was ONLY coffee drank.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
sj124

Thank you for the info

• Like 1