Vegetables and Fruits Grown in the Philippines

JamesMusslewhite

bounder
I was wondering about coffee beans. Do you think they'd do well in the Philippines.

Coffee beans are grown in the mountains between the municipalities of Candoni and Sipalay on the island of Negros.  Of course they tend to use new pavement to dry their beans upon. 

1404874_10201689033181574_2147176310_o.j

Edited by bounder
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• tomaw

• Headshot

• Richard K

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you want to grow a garden or farm crop in the Philippines? What the heck grows here?    When wanting to decide what vegetables and fruits grow well for your farm and garden needs you have to do

They sell 20 foot lengths of white 3/4 inch PVC water pipe in Cebu. I have seen it in a hardware outlet on Mactan. it can be used to make an easy 12 foot X 50 foot rain house that will allow you to gr

Fruit Trees of the Philippines Alvocado (Persea americana) Banana (Saging (Musa sapientum) Barbados nut or Purging nut(Jatropha) (Jatropha curcas) Bilimbi (Kamias) (Averrhoa bilimbi) Breadfruit (

Coffee beans are grown in the mountains between the municipalities of Candoni and Sipalay on the island of Negros.  Of course they tend to use new pavement to dry their beans upon. 

1404874_10201689033181574_2147176310_o.j

Thanks, glad to know that.

spritsail

James - I am starting some water gardens here in Camiguin and particularly interested to grow water cress (nasturium officianalle) and the water chestnuts. I have a pal arriving from Australia this week with bag full of seeds - kohl rabi etc but says he cant find the water cress. Any ideas where it might be sold in the philippines - I think the local name is Tangkong, and heard it grew in Nueva Viscaya.

Are you gardens open to public, I will be there in Suriagao next week or so enroute to Dinagat to hire skipper and mechanic for yacht and then will be based in Dinagat for the NE typhoon season.

• 10 months later...

James,

Thanks for putting this information together. I'm always looking for green vegetables to eat. I'm in Davao and I found a few places to buy greens. I miss my chard and collards from the US. Are there restrictions in bringing seeds here to plant?

Kevin

hyaku

James - I am starting some water gardens here in Camiguin and particularly interested to grow water cress (nasturium officianalle) and the water chestnuts. I have a pal arriving from Australia this week with bag full of seeds - kohl rabi etc but says he cant find the water cress. Any ideas where it might be sold in the philippines - I think the local name is Tangkong, and heard it grew in Nueva Viscaya.

Are you gardens open to public, I will be there in Suriagao next week or so enroute to Dinagat to hire skipper and mechanic for yacht and then will be based in Dinagat for the NE typhoon season.

Tang Kong or Kang Kong (water spinach) grows like a weed. Around a lot of rice paddies. I eat a lot and even feed the koi with it but have to constantly keep cutting it back.

Wish I could find Aka Shiso (Red Nettle) seeds. Ordinary Nettles grow so should not be problem. It makes amazing vinegar on a par with balsamic.

Edited by hyaku
JamesMusslewhite

I am on the Southern end of Dinagat Island. Our farm is between the towns of Cabunga-an and Cagdianao. If you are ever in the area just let me know.

SkyMan

Don't know why this wasn't pinned before but it is now.

to_dave007

There is what looks like an experimental crop of "something" being grown south of Tuburan on the west coast of Cebu, in Barangay Colonia.  Easily visible from the road.  Rumour is that it's coffee.

• 1 year later...
lolhahaha

I've recently been somewhat successful growing leaf lettuce behind my house that only gets sun in the morning. I was told that it won't grow here but I have the seeds. I planted a mix of several kinds of lettuce but so far it's looking like only one of those is growing well. I got all my seeds from the US last year. I still haven't tried them all.

All the varieties of tomatoes from the US that I brought are growing well, most of the peppers, sunflowers, cucumbers, borage, several varieties of Basil, oregano and morning glory's. I can't get the chervil, spinach, rosemary, or chives to come out of the dirt though. Rosemary should definitely grow here so I'm probably doing it wrong.

4 hours ago, lolhahaha said:

Rosemary should definitely grow here so I'm probably doing it wrong.

You can buy rosemary plants here in the Philippines. We tried several times, but it always died after a year or so, maybe we're too close to the sea. But I saw plant here growing quite well.

I did not see grapes (grapevines) on the list. I brought a plant here a couple of years ago - first it did quite well and grew fast (very fast). Then suddenly it died - maybe a bug? Anyway, the idea was having fresh grapes (and maybe making some wine?). Anybody tried?

lolhahaha

I had a huge bag of grape seeds from the local grapes I had been buying in South Carolina when I drove through there last year. These things tasted great and were huge. Each grape had 4 seeds in it so I had 1000s. Then when it was time to pack I couldn't find the bag. Those grapes should have grown fine here but I won't know now until next time. They were usually labled as scuppernong or muscadine but there are several different color and sizes in the stores. Usually a huge bag was about 1.5-2 dollars there and even though there are seeds, I'll never buy walmart or kroger grapes again, no taste.

Headshot

The two grape varieties best suited for growing in the tropics are White Malaga and Black Ribier. You need to remember, though, that grapes are pretty labor intensive to grow under the best conditions. In the tropics, there is no dormant season, so you have to "force" dormancy by pruning branches, removing all leaves, stopping fertilizing and watering the vines for a month before the dry season, and then kick start the vines by watering and feeding the vines again. Also, because it is so humid here, you have to repeatedly spray fungicide on the vines to prevent infection of the leaves and bunches. You should also know that there are many tropical diseases and insects here that grape vines have no defense for, and you will either spray or lose your vines.

• Like 1
Richard K

Damn man.. thank you so much.. I am book marking this page.

I have had good luck with some stuff and crap-o-la luck with others.. but then I am in a bad area to grow also. (ash path from Pinatubo)..

I had really good luck with collard greens but cannot grow kale for beans.

One of my main problems with some things.. beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers.. seems to be pollination. (and of course insects).. there just doesn't seem to be alot of bee's here.. I have a ton of blossoms.. but only a few fruits.. I did the Q-tip pollination thing and got better results.. but nothing like what nature brings to it... I am hopefully moving soon to somewhere out of the ash path and hope for better results.

btw..I have spent countless hours and piso getting carabao poo and mixing.. what with the compacted burnt limestone ash and my sweat.. very little result... except for the amount of SMG consumed..

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

You need to remember, though, that grapes are pretty labor intensive to grow under the best conditions.

Enough time:) Interesting though there are some winery at sea level (similar to Mactan which is on corals):

http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-tahiti

https://blog.tahiti.com/2012/07/20/vin-de-tahiti-french-polynesias-only-wine-label/

http://www.vindetahiti.com/

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Bigfish

I didn't see pinto beans on the list. Not possible or not available? I love a good smoked ham hock and beans over rice. Or of course to use in tacos/burrito. Speaking of which, are tortilla's both corn and flour available readily? I'll be in Argao soon! Was thinking about bring some bags of seed from the local nursery to the Philippines and found this thread.