Vegetables and Fruits Grown in the Philippines

JamesMusslewhite

bounder

I don't see grapefruit as a possible fruit tree for the Philippines, but I do see Orange.  But what variety of Orange tree is available and where could I possible purchase a sapling.  I suppose if all else fails I could plant the seeds, but the oranges at the market are SOOOOO small.  I tried watermelon, but the bugs got to them before me and the kids.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• tomaw

• Headshot

• Richard K

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you want to grow a garden or farm crop in the Philippines? What the heck grows here?    When wanting to decide what vegetables and fruits grow well for your farm and garden needs you have to do

They sell 20 foot lengths of white 3/4 inch PVC water pipe in Cebu. I have seen it in a hardware outlet on Mactan. it can be used to make an easy 12 foot X 50 foot rain house that will allow you to gr

Fruit Trees of the Philippines Alvocado (Persea americana) Banana (Saging (Musa sapientum) Barbados nut or Purging nut(Jatropha) (Jatropha curcas) Bilimbi (Kamias) (Averrhoa bilimbi) Breadfruit (

Headshot

I don't see grapefruit as a possible fruit tree for the Philippines, but I do see Orange.  But what variety of Orange tree is available and where could I possible purchase a sapling.  I suppose if all else fails I could plant the seeds, but the oranges at the market are SOOOOO small.  I tried watermelon, but the bugs got to them before me and the kids.

I saw grapefruit trees at a nursery here on Cebu, but I like pomelo better, so that's one of the trees that I'm going to plant (two actually). If oranges will grow here (and they will), then so will grapefruit, lime and lemon.

• Like 1
to_dave007

I believe Pomelo comes in two variety, pink and white. I tried the white variety and found it rather dry and pithy.  I prefer the pink. I bought one just before I left in May and my mother in law has been tending it (and other stuff) so I don't know how it is just yet.  The seedling wsn't particularly expensive, but it'll take several years before I can hope for first fruit to eat.

Can't remember if I saw kalamansi (sp?) mentioned above.  Small green citrus fruit growing from waste/chest high shrub..  Definitely my Cebu favorite..  I squeeze 6 or 7 through a strainer into a glass first thing every morning and have pretty near stopped drinking coffee in Cebu as a result.  I pit about 15 of these in before I left, and they are apparently doing well.  Looking forward to these..  and will likely plant more.

Bought a small lemon or lime tree as well.. at same time.. but I'm told that one is not doing well

• Like 2
Headshot

The pink pomelo is what they grow here. At least, I haven't seen the white ones. Calamansi grows well here. They are everbearing, so there is always fruit ready for harvest.

bounder

saw grapefruit trees at a nursery here on Cebu,

Do you remember what nursery and where it was located.   If you would prefer, you could PM me. 

I see that Oranges grow here, but not heard any locations yet.....but can only hope that they are bigger in size than what I currently find at the market. 

to_dave007

So far, the two best nurseries I've found are:

1) The big nursery in Mandaue across from Pacific Mall.  It actually seems to operate as a kind of nursery flea market, with lots of small independent operators, each with their own "stall" space.  So you kind of need to go around the whole place to look for your favorite stuff.. whatever it is.

2) Just south of Bogo on east side of national highway, across from cebeco office.  The lady that runs the place seems quite knowledgeable and definitely helpful.  I'll go back there.

Anyone else find any exceptional nurseries? Where located?

quit_yume

Fruits: Avocado (Persea americana) Banana (Saging (Musa sapientum) Bell pepper (Capsicum annuum) Bitter melon (Momordica charantia) Courgette (Cucurbita pepo) Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) Eggplant (Solanum melongena) Passion fruit Pineapple Pumpkin (Cucurbita spp.) Squash (Cucurbita spp.) Strawberry

strawberries are not actually a fruit.  ;)

-quito

Headshot

-quito

How would you classify them? They are the seed bearing part of the plant, so they clearly aren't a vegetable. I have heard it said that they are the only fruit with the seeds on the outside. They aren't a true BERRY, but I believe they are classified as a fruit. BTW...I've seen them growing up on Mount Manunggal here on Cebu.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
spydoo

-quito

They are an aggregate accessory fruit. While in the past they were classified as pseudofruit, biologists no longer use that term. In all things biology, one must keep up to date to be accurate as it's a developing field. In other words, we're still learning.

I could see it growing well in Bagio and in the mountains outside Davao. Elephant garlic, India white garlic grows here quite well.

Strawberries are well known to grow in Bagio so crops that need a cooler climate might do well there. I was wondering about coffee beans. Do you think they'd do well in the Philippines.

This truly a remarkable list! Thanks James for all your hard work.

Where's a good place to get seeds, starter plants /trees and other garden supplies in or near Cebu?

So far, the two best nurseries I've found are:

1) The big nursery in Mandaue across from Pacific Mall.  It actually seems to operate as a kind of nursery flea market, with lots of small independent operators, each with their own "stall" space.  So you kind of need to go around the whole place to look for your favorite stuff.. whatever it is.

2) Just south of Bogo on east side of national highway, across from cebeco office.  The lady that runs the place seems quite knowledgeable and definitely helpful.  I'll go back there.

Anyone else find any exceptional nurseries? Where located?

Thanks. This answers the question I just posted.

The mountainous areas Benguet is called the "Salad Bowl of the Philippines", Baguio, and Davao easily grow crops of cabbage, lettuce, and strawberries which are considered more cooler climate crops due to these area's milder climates at elevation.

Thanks James. Do you think coffee beans might do well there or other parts of the Philippines?

My wife's family owns some land in the inland area of Comotes. We are thinking of building a house there. We know it is known for sweet potatoes which is what Comotes actually means. We were thinking of just growing stuff to feed ourselves but apparently they own a large hecture of land big enough to start a sizeable farm. Not sure if that's a good idea for people that are inexperienced.

Thanks for the list, but if all those things are grown in the R.P. then all I can say is that Filipino producers either do not know how to farm/produce effiiciently or they are ripping people off. Because the prices of several things, just at a glance are twice as high as in the USA. Brocolli is one example, there are many more. I am not comparing prices in NYC to prices in Cebu. I am comparing prices in city of one million in sw usa to prices in cebu and elsewhere in R.P. A better list would be food you can buy here more cheaply than USA. The well known examples are pinneapple, coconut, fish as a few and there are not that many. Most things are HIGHER here, not lower.

I am comparing prices in city of one million in sw usa to prices in cebu and elsewhere in R.P:

I'm not sure what part of the US you are talking about. I live in California and just about everything but electronics is a lot cheaper in Cebu. My wife's sister lives in Florida and things are comparable there as well. I don't want to get off topic talking about other products but as far as I know fruits and  vegetables should be rather cheap. As James has pointed out quite well, you can grow your own for free!