Vegetables and Fruits Grown in the Philippines

JamesMusslewhite

That is not a bad idea. To comprise a list of vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers, and medical plants by North, South, East, Wast wall exposure. I believe once I finish the list I will research and then break them down into four individual list of each side of a wall, structure according to their preferred sunlight and shade requirements. It will take a little while to complete but will be well worth the effort as it will help those interested in farm & gardening to best insure the best success with each variety.  

Looking forward to that. We tried growing mint along the north wall.  You can't kill mint - but we did.

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• tomaw

• Headshot

• Richard K

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you want to grow a garden or farm crop in the Philippines? What the heck grows here?    When wanting to decide what vegetables and fruits grow well for your farm and garden needs you have to do

They sell 20 foot lengths of white 3/4 inch PVC water pipe in Cebu. I have seen it in a hardware outlet on Mactan. it can be used to make an easy 12 foot X 50 foot rain house that will allow you to gr

Fruit Trees of the Philippines Alvocado (Persea americana) Banana (Saging (Musa sapientum) Barbados nut or Purging nut(Jatropha) (Jatropha curcas) Bilimbi (Kamias) (Averrhoa bilimbi) Breadfruit (

JamesMusslewhite

James,

I am not sure if you have this list of Philippine Medicinal Plants but I found it interesting.... http://www.stuartxchange.com/CompleteList.html

Yes, I had it bookmarked on one of my PC's which fried a hard drive losing about 2 years of collective work. I had been trying to find the proper search string for the last 3-4 days trying to find this website again. Sometimes you get to see good karma in action, and I thank you for this link. This is one of the best websites on the subject that I have found over the years, and though I have several books on this subject it would take several months of typing to compile a better list, and then I would have to still design a website just to host the articles; while this website already has an excellent database of useful basic information available to members now. Outstanding post.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

If you are a farmer and want to have an idea of current wholesalers buying price that is regularly updated than this is the site for you. The information on this site is priceless and if you go to the site's "Home" page you will see on the right side column a scrolling banner called "Wholesalers Buying Prices" which will help you have a fair estimation of the price your crop will bring at the wholesale buyer. Hope you find it useful and informative.

Agriculture and Fisheries Market Information System (AFMIS)

http://afmis.da.gov.ph/index.php/home.html

• Like 3
JamesMusslewhite

how about marijuana....?  is that grown here?

With all the reports of people being busted transporting kilos all around the islands I would say probably quite well.

• Like 2
littlejohn

We have been contemplating starting a farm in the mountains near here (700 meter elevation). The mayor has offered 2 hectares free to people who move there because its in the middle of nowhere and has few people. Its near Dipolog so we just don't get typhoons here. Only one in the last 50 years.

Not sure what would grow well there and make money though. Was thinking potatoes. Was also wondering about acerola cherry, they go by another name here I forget. Don't think it ever freezes there not that high up. Being up in the mountains I expect it gets a lot of rain.

On the other hand we have been contemplating moving to South America too, don't think we have the resources to do both though.

This is one of the best websites on the subject that I have found over the years, and though I have several books on this subject it would take several months of typing to compile a better list, and then I would have to still design a website just to host the articles; while this website already has an excellent database of useful basic information available to members now.

LOL... I also had it on a hard disk that died about 18 months ago and it was your posts on this thread that prompted me to track it down again because I thought it was impressive work then and the quick look I had when I found it this time it seems even better now.

JamesMusslewhite

We have been contemplating starting a farm in the mountains near here (700 meter elevation). The mayor has offered 2 hectares free to people who move there because its in the middle of nowhere and has few people. Its near Dipolog so we just don't get typhoons here. Only one in the last 50 years.

Not sure what would grow well there and make money though. Was thinking potatoes. Was also wondering about acerola cherry, they go by another name here I forget. Don't think it ever freezes there not that high up. Being up in the mountains I expect it gets a lot of rain.

On the other hand we have been contemplating moving to South America too, don't think we have the resources to do both though.

I do not know what the Filipino name is but the fruit originates from the Yucatan. The species is (malpighia punicifolia) and is also called "Barbados cherry".

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
JamesMusslewhite

LOL... I also had it on a hard disk that died about 18 months ago and it was your posts on this thread that prompted me to track it down again because I thought it was impressive work then and the quick look I had when I found it this time it seems even better now.

I am sure glad you found it. Thank you for posting it on the tread. I added the link to the bottom of the OP vegetable and Fruit list so it will be easy for members to find as they will all be grouped together at the top of the first page of the thread.

JamesMusslewhite

Fruit Trees of the Philippines

Alvocado (Persea americana)

Banana (Saging (Musa sapientum)

Barbados nut or Purging nut(Jatropha) (Jatropha curcas)

Bilimbi (Kamias) (Averrhoa bilimbi)

Breadfruit (Balimbing) (Artocarpus altilis)

Calamondin (kalamansi) (xCitrofortunella mitis)

Canistel (Chesa) (Pouteria campechiana)

Chempedak (Artocarpus integer)

Cherimoya (Annona cherimola)

Chinquapin or Chinkapin  (Castanopsis philippinensis)

Coconut (Buko) (Cocus nucifera)

Duhat (Jambul) (Syzygium cumini)

Durian (Durio species)

Dragon fruit (Hylocereus species)

Guava (Bayabas) (Psidium species)

Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam.)

Jamaican cherry (Aratiles) (Muntingia Calabura)

Joey Oak (Marang) (Artocarpus odaratissimus)

Key Lime (Dayap) (Citrus aurantifolia)

Lanzones (Lansium domesticum)

Longan (Dimocarpus longan)

Lychee (Litchi chinensis)

Madras thorn (Camachile) (Pithecellobium dulce)

Mango (Manga) (Mangifera indica)

Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana)

Olive (Olea europaea)

Orange (Dalandan) (Citrus sinensis)

Papaya (Carica papaya)

Passion fruit (Passiflora edulis)

Pomegranate (Granada) (Punica granatum)

Pomelo (Lukban) (Citrus maxima)

Rambutan (Nephelium lappaceum)

Sapodilla (Chico) (Manilkara zapota)

Sour apple (Santol) (Sandoricum koetjape)

Soursop (Guyabano) (Annona muricata)

Star apple (Caimito) (Chrysophyllum cainito)

Starfruit (Balimbing) (Averrhoa carambola)

Sugar apple (Atis) (Annona squamosa)

Tamarind (Sampalok) (Tamarindus indica)

Velvet apple (Kamagong) (Diospyros blancoi)

Wax apple or Java apple (Malcopa) (Syzygium samarangens)

Nut Trees of the Philippines

Almond (Prunus amygdalus dulcis)

Areca (Areca catechu)

Cashew {Anacardium occidentale)

Chestnut (Castanopsis philippensis)

Cocoa (Theobroma cacao)

Coconut (Cocos Nucifera L.)

Betel (Areca catechu)

Brazil (Bertholletia excelsa)

Filbert (Corylus maxima)

Kenari (Java almond) (Canarium decumanum and C. commune)

Kukui (Aleurites moluccana)

Macadamia (Macadamia tetraphylla)

Peanut (Arachis hypogaea)

Pecan (Carya illinoensis)

Pili (Canarium ovatum)

Pistachio (Pistacia vera)

Soy nut (Glycine max, G. soja, or Soja max)

Tropical chestnut or Water Chestnut (Pachira aquatica)

Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia)

Walnut (Juglans regia)

List of Philippine Medicinal Plants

http://www.stuartxch...mpleteList.html

• Like 4

I will keep adding more varieties as I continue to research the subject. I want to add, herbs, berries, nuts, flowers, and medical plant varieties and am presently compiling a list. When I finish the list I will then add the codes to the list so they will also be linked to useful information on each species.

........ Thanks James for your informative list and links. Your positive attitude and innovative ideas are a welcome relief in this often dismal forum.
  • Like 1

I could see it growing well in Bagio and in the mountains outside Davao. Elephant garlic, India white garlic grows here quite well.

..... Strawberries, another cold climate fruit, is also grown and sold in Baguio.
  • Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

........ Thanks James for your informative list and links. Your positive attitude and innovative ideas are a welcome relief in this often dismal forum.

Thank you, it takes a couple of days organizing, researching, and coding the list so they work on the forum correctly. I will continue to update the lest by adding more varieties as I come across them. I started a Facebook group a couple of months ago called "Philippine Farm and Garden - horticulture, aquaculture, and mariculture" https://www.facebook.com/groups/616404865059971/645553195478471/?comment_id=645616052138852&notif_t=like where I have been writing articles to post there on relating subjects. It just seem to be only proper to include them also here on the forums as so many members are presently living were they are doing farm and garden projects or they are planning to move here and have a hard time finding decent information. I am presently knee deep in writing a horticultural reference text that will be between 20-24 books when finally completed so I am constantly researching information on these subjects everyday. If I come across useful websites, articles, and videos that I see can be of interest to members than I like to add them in threads on this section so they can be shared with fellow members. You would be amazed sometimes how members remarks and comments have helped me expand my own research and writings on certain subjects, often I am learning as much as I am sharing so it is mutual. If just one person is enriched by these posts and threads than it is worth all the time spent on the threads I have started or contributed on the three sections of the "Living Green in the Philippines" forums.

It is nice to hear that a member appreciates the work. I thank you for your post.

• Like 3
use a roll sheet 6-mil poly. The rolls are 20 fooy wide and either 50 foot or 00 foot in length

Is this UV resistant variety? - otherwise won't last long in the tropical sun.

(PS Don't think 'peanut' is a nut tree.)

Edited by hchoate
JamesMusslewhite

Is this UV resistant variety? - otherwise won't last long in the tropical sun.

(PS Don't think 'peanut' is a nut tree.)

true but it would be lost if listed under "vegetables", and that is the only "nut section" I have so far. :biggrin_01:

The non UV 6-mil clear will last about 2 years here under normal conditions