• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• tomaw

• Richard K

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you want to grow a garden or farm crop in the Philippines? What the heck grows here?    When wanting to decide what vegetables and fruits grow well for your farm and garden needs you have to do

They sell 20 foot lengths of white 3/4 inch PVC water pipe in Cebu. I have seen it in a hardware outlet on Mactan. it can be used to make an easy 12 foot X 50 foot rain house that will allow you to gr

Fruit Trees of the Philippines Alvocado (Persea americana) Banana (Saging (Musa sapientum) Barbados nut or Purging nut(Jatropha) (Jatropha curcas) Bilimbi (Kamias) (Averrhoa bilimbi) Breadfruit (

JamesMusslewhite

Ok guys the links are all complete and the codes sound. This list should allow members to have a solid starting point for researching varieties to use in your farms and gardens. I hope members find the list to be an easy to use and useful tool.

• Like 4

I suggest that James designs the garden and Boss Hog develops the menu.

• Like 4
littlejohn

Their is no way you can grow Jerusalem Artichokes here unless you live in one of the coldest areas of the mountains. Wish we could I like them.

I hope your right about elephant garlic that would be something I'd like to grow here.

• Like 1
littlejohn

Ooops decided to look it up to make sure I was right and I was wrong. Here is a quote about Jerusalem artichokes.

"In tropical zones it can be grown successfully year round by regular replanting but is best planted at the beginning of the wet season."

I don't suppose you know where to get some in the Philippines? Probably need to keep them in a fridge a while to make them sweet I know we waited for a very hard freeze before digging them back home.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Their is no way you can grow Jerusalem Artichokes here unless you live in one of the coldest areas of the mountains. Wish we could I like them.

I hope your right about elephant garlic that would be something I'd like to grow here.

I could see it growing well in Bagio and in the mountains outside Davao. Elephant garlic, India white garlic grows here quite well.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Ooops decided to look it up to make sure I was right and I was wrong. Here is a quote about Jerusalem artichokes.

"In tropical zones it can be grown successfully year round by regular replanting but is best planted at the beginning of the wet season."

I don't suppose you know where to get some in the Philippines? Probably need to keep them in a fridge a while to make them sweet I know we waited for a very hard freeze before digging them back home.

The trick is they like rather dry soil, so if you make a little poly-plastic covered rain house they should grow great here.year around.

JamesMusslewhite

They sell 20 foot lengths of white 3/4 inch PVC water pipe in Cebu. I have seen it in a hardware outlet on Mactan. it can be used to make an easy 12 foot X 50 foot rain house that will allow you to grow vegetable year round here in the Philippines.

5138456138_166bc9e1b1.jpg

This will also help control bug infestations,just cover the greenhouse with chicken wire then use a roll sheet 6-mil poly. The rolls are 20 fooy wide and either 50 foot or 00 foot in length. just use wood strips and finishing nails at the bottom of the sides and leave the ends open. The chicken wire keeps the plastic ridged during heavy rains so the water does no sag the plastic on the top were it pools and weighs down and collapses. Open ends allow the greenhouse to properly vent the heat of the day. These are great for covering seed starter containers, hydroponic/aquaponic systems, tomatoes, lattice vegetables and fruits, etc. Very simple to make, inexpensive, long lasting, and very versatile.  .

These photos below are some I have build before and shows the space available in a 20'X50' greenhouse raised inly two feet off the ground.

389460_2575381103675_1111552429_n.jpg

405221_2575382903720_1687642081_n.jpg

405900_2575391223928_1898075189_n.jpg

The 3 photos above are from one of our plant outlets. We had several facilities for growing product and two small garden centers. These photos are of our product and Greenhouses, shadehouses, and some of our growing pads. Members are welcome to look at the Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2574883571237&set=a.2574872410958.2118680.1228755709&type=3&theater

• Like 5
JamesMusslewhite

Ok guys the links are all complete and the codes sound. This list should allow members to have a solid starting point for researching varieties to use in your farms and gardens. I hope members find the list to be an easy to use and useful tool.

I will keep adding more varieties as I continue to research the subject. I want to add, herbs, berries, nuts, flowers, and medical plant varieties and am presently compiling a list. When I finish the list I will then add the codes to the list so they will also be linked to useful information on each species.

• Like 3

Waiting on herbs - especially those suitable for a north wall.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Waiting on herbs - especially those suitable for a north wall.

That is not a bad idea. To comprise a list of vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers, and medical plants by North, South, East, Wast wall exposure. I believe once I finish the list I will research and then break them down into four individual list of each side of a wall, structure according to their preferred sunlight and shade requirements. It will take a little while to complete but will be well worth the effort as it will help those interested in farm & gardening to best insure the best success with each variety.  

• Like 4
SomeRandomGuy

how about marijuana....?  is that grown here?