I was an illegal alien in Cebu!

I wonder what would happen if you overstay by 1 day and go to the airport do deal with it.

My experiences are somewhat old and therefore may be out of date.  However ...

First time I overstayed by a couple of days and did not realize until lining up for emigration.  Nothing was said and I got my departure stamp.

Second time was a similar situation but this time I was directed to a separate desk to pay a fine.  I had no Pesos and they did not take credit cards or USD.  I had to backtrack to the departure hall where luckily a bank was open.  I changed USD into Pesos and went back to pay my fine.  Then back to original emigration desk where I got my departure stamp.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Brucewayne

• hyaku

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was three weeks late once, for a variety of reasons.  So I typed up a nice apology and explanation letter and took it into Tacloban, expecting the worst.  The Queen Bee called me into her office and

you shoulda hung out at the hardware store looking for day work

could you explain how it felt to be an illegal alien?  how did you lose those 3days? seems to be more than what is posted,  of course its LIVINING IN CEBU FORUM that makes it so great with topics li

No, because we are overstayed we can't be blacklisted being overstayed is not a crime in the Philippines

Not too sure regarding your statement about overstaying not being a crime.  You need to clarify what you mean.  If not a crime then why is there a detention centre in Manila for overstayers?  Under what legislation are overstayers deported?

Perhaps - I do not know - once fines. etc. are paid then the slate is wiped clean and you are not prevented from reentry.

Edited by GoHuk
A_Simple_Man

That's nothing, I know a guy who overstayed for 19 years and only had tp pay P40,000 at P10,000 per month for 4 months. He got a lecture, but no threats as he tells it.

So you are legal now  :ROFLMAO:

A_Simple_Man
There have been cases of them frowning, barking "What are you doing here in the Philippines? Why are you here? " which is not pleasant.

I had a similar experience, when returning to Canada.  The Canadian Immigration official asked me:  "What were you doing in the Philippines?  Why were you there?"  The follow up questions were:  "Have you also been to Thailand?  Are your friends filipino or expats?"

I go to Swagman hotel in Manila- Ermita, pay a small extra fee and they don't even need my signature

If you personally know these people, would you mind asking if they can also do the new 6 month visa?  I understand it is only available at Intramuros BI at this time and I do not know if personal appearance is mandatory.  I would do as you suggest if it is that easy.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
Brucewayne

So you are legal now  :ROFLMAO:

Not me, I have only been here a little over 7 years.

udonthani

There have been cases of them frowning, barking "What are you doing here in the Philippines? Why are you here? " which is not pleasant. When I balance the possibility of stress and humiliation ;a growling bulldog face on the one hand, vs. peace of mind and good mood on the other, to me it's worth the fee.

I just do not understand why this could possibly happen so often. The dynamic and layout of the offices mean that any personal interraction is difficult. Quite often, in most offices they are behind a pane of glass, and with others they are behind a counter which while it is less distant than when there is a pane of glass, still acts like a psychological barrier. The single solitary time anything like that happened to me was that time in Tacloban where I was sitting opposite the officer at a desk. That has never happened at any other place where I have done an ordinary extension.

overstaying is not the really serious problem in the Philippines it can be in Thailand. There if you get stopped by a cop and he looks at your passport and it is one day over you are going to the slammer no arguing. It helps a lot that foreigners are not supposedly legally obliged to carry their passport with them at all times like they are in Thailand.

its like any place a lot depends on the mood your in and the kama you push out on if BI is going to make it a hard day or a light day.. the first time we went with tim i think he was 2 years over we went inside to ask HOW much and the guy told us and then said dont come in unless you have the money to pay if you go in and have overstayed and dont have the money to pay your getting locked up ,, if you go in and start acting like your special you will get locked up ,,, its like when the police pull you over in the west its either a ticket or a Warning and its all on you 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
Skywalker

overstaying is not the really serious problem in the Philippines it can be in Thailand.

Which serves as the almost perfect example of the difference between a Country that welcomes long term tourists like me, and Thailand; where they only want your money, and even then, you step out of line and they kick you out quicker than you can say "Amazing Thailand".

I wonder what would happen if you overstay by 1 day and go to the airport do deal with it.

You run the risk of your fine being higher because they know they have you over a barrel.  Would you rather be on your way to the airport free and clear or have a problem looming that could potentially cause you to miss your flight?

• Like 2
udonthani

You run the risk of your fine being higher because they know they have you over a barrel.  Would you rather be on your way to the airport free and clear or have a problem looming that could potentially cause you to miss your flight?

yes there was one time in Mandaue when some Brit guy was getting stroppy in the office because he had realised that his existing extension only covered him until 2 days before his departing flight left and was trying to arrange some sort of deal with them to extend for only two days, but for less money. They said no you have to extend for at least one month and pay the full fee. He was raising his voice and it was getting confrontational. I stepped in and calmed him down a bit and tried to explain that there was nothing for it and it would be best if he did pay the full fee. As somebody has no way of knowing what their attitude will be at the airport.

in fact that was the time I got let off the 1000 peso overstay fine because I was two days late by accident. That might have been why they were nice to me.

I overstayed in 1981 for 3 years.. (Young stupid and broke) A Filipino friend took my PP to the airport where they stamped me leaving 3 years earlier and then on to arrivals where they stamped me in 2 years 10 months later.. They gave me one extention which brought me up to date... 5k.PHP.

Job done!

Edited by fred42

I overstayed in 1981 for 3 years.. (Young stupid and broke) A Filipino friend took my PP to the airport where they stamped me leaving 3 years earlier and then on to arrivals where they stamped me in 2 years 10 months later.. They gave me one extention which brought me up to date... 5k.PHP.

Job done!

well fred looking at the date tell me you overstayed during the marcos time them were the days ..... when being an american was like being a local but them are not these days 

yes there was one time in Mandaue when some Brit guy was getting stroppy in the office because he had realised that his existing extension only covered him until 2 days before his departing flight left and was trying to arrange some sort of deal with them to extend for only two days, but for less money. They said no you have to extend for at least one month and pay the full fee. He was raising his voice and it was getting confrontational. I stepped in and calmed him down a bit and tried to explain that there was nothing for it and it would be best if he did pay the full fee. As somebody has no way of knowing what their attitude will be at the airport.

in fact that was the time I got let off the 1000 peso overstay fine because I was two days late by accident. That might have been why they were nice to me.

It's always best to use sugar rather than vinegar in situations such as this.