I was an illegal alien in Cebu!

udonthani

I was three weeks late once, for a variety of reasons.  So I typed up a nice apology and explanation letter and took it into Tacloban, expecting the worst.  The Queen Bee called me into her office and read the letter as I sat in front of her.  She looked up over her glasses, shook the letter, and said "We do not accept this apology." Then she stamped my passport and told me to pay on the way out.  I wasn't even charged a late fee.  Wacky country!

I remember her. She was at the Tacloban BoI in late 2009 at least which is the only time I ever got an extension there. A bit of a dragon really. The layout at that office, at least then, was a bit different to most of the others and there were these desks with chairs where you went to pick up the passport at the end, not like from a counter. I sat down opposite her, and she started asking me all these questions, even though I hadn't overstayed or anything and it was just a normal extension. She wanted to know if I was married, and I said I had a fiance. Where was she she asked. Why isn't she here. I said as diplomatically as I could that she doesn't have to be here, she is my fiance, not my Siamese Twin and we are not obliged to spend every minute of every day in each other's company. It was a bit of an interrogation really although it was all over in only about five minutes. I've never had another extension like that one where somebody asks questions.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Brucewayne

• hyaku

• tambok

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was three weeks late once, for a variety of reasons.  So I typed up a nice apology and explanation letter and took it into Tacloban, expecting the worst.  The Queen Bee called me into her office and

you shoulda hung out at the hardware store looking for day work

could you explain how it felt to be an illegal alien?  how did you lose those 3days? seems to be more than what is posted,  of course its LIVINING IN CEBU FORUM that makes it so great with topics li

The best place in my experience to get extentions is in Manila or Angeles City and through a travel agent.

I go to Swagman hotel in Manila- Ermita, pay a small extra fee and they don't even need my signature. I have the extension the next day.  Immigration people should be given a wide berth and should be avoided as far as direct contact as much as possible. Plus, immigration in Cebu and Visayas in general can often adopt small town mentality and nosiness and incorporate them in their duties. Luzon people are colder, more distant and far less friendly. But they are also less nosy and care less about you and your affairs. My experience.

The Swagman agency told me that it's also possible to expressmail them the passport from other provinces. It would be wise, though, to visit them first.

In Angeles City, the travel agency at Wild Orchids is also good at getting all kinds of visas with no hassle but they need your signature.

I never go to immigration myself.

My neighbor in Angeles City recently overstayed by about 2 years. He was ill and kept postponing it. He paid under $1000 US in fines and had his extensions again. He did not go to immigration directly, but did it through a third person.

Again, these are anecdotal examples of how people get away with breaking the law. The Migra has the power to blacklist you though and send you to an immigration detention center in Taguig. The Taguig Hilton. Over a 100 people are there now. These did not anecdotally get away with a slap on the wrist.

Better never ever to overstay and extend weeks in advance.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith, becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American… There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”—Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

Nice try, Theo. The problem with the above quote is that there's strong nativism in America and once people find out that one was not born there, they start treating that person as a non American. In the media, they attach "German born", "Russian born", and call that person "an immigrant" and his old country his "homeland". Even though he/she is a citizen now and has assimilated. Also, a foreign accent is a b/tch to get rid of and even it's ever so slight, immediately the people start treating that person as a foreigner in the USA. No matter how long in the country and no matter how well assimilated. And regardless of citizenship!

Plus, the US Constitution does not allow such a person to run for President or vice President even though he may have come to the US at age 1. But they let Obama, who grew up in Indonesia become one just because of his US birth.

The Philippines is a great place to become fully American, though. Two qualifications are needed- a long nose and white skin. Presto!

Edited by tambok

In the same BI I was renewing my ACR after five years.  The clerk was quite friendly and helpful.  We completed all the forms, and got to the part where she asked for all of my five years of annual registration ORs.  I presented the copies to her.  She said she needed to have the originals, which I had and did give them to her.  I asked why the orginals were needed since I was advised previously to never lose them.  She said was so they could send them to Manila as proof I had registered.  That seemed odd since I had done the annual registration in this office and they keep a book showing the payment.  As well, each time the payment is made, the registration is entered into my computer record.  I was not being aggressive, just pointing this out.  The clerk got curious herself and took the papers to the Queen Bee, some distance away.  I couldn't hear their conversation, but from the glances, I was getting concerned the message was being changed a bit.  

After a few minutes of this, the Queen Bee walked over, unceremoniously handed the assembled papers to me and said....."You'll have to go to Manila to renew your ACR."

I remember her. She was at the Tacloban BoI in late 2009 at least which is the only time I ever got an extension there. A bit of a dragon really. The layout at that office, at least then, was a bit different to most of the others and there were these desks with chairs where you went to pick up the passport at the end, not like from a counter. I sat down opposite her, and she started asking me all these questions, even though I hadn't overstayed or anything and it was just a normal extension. She wanted to know if I was married, and I said I had a fiance. Where was she she asked. Why isn't she here. I said as diplomatically as I could that she doesn't have to be here, she is my fiance, not my Siamese Twin and we are not obliged to spend every minute of every day in each other's company. It was a bit of an interrogation really although it was all over in only about five minutes. I've never had another extension like that one where somebody asks questions.

There's a new younger one now. Very cooperative but doesn't seem to know the updated requirements and really messed me up. Not her fault. I suppose BI have never heard of inter office memos.

udonthani

I go to Swagman hotel in Manila- Ermita, pay a small extra fee and they don't even need my signature. I have the extension the next day.  Immigration people should be given a wide berth and should be avoided as far as direct contact as much as possible.

as usual they never say exactly what the fee is. They just say it is 'small', when usually it is not. It is going ot be at least 700 peso, one of the more well known foreigner providers of this service in Cebu now charges 1200 for this.

I would never bother paying anybody to get an extension except maybe, because I have heard of there being big delays there, in Manila.

Angeles BoI is a total doddle and only takes 30 minutes.

the Tacloban incident I mentioned was a real exception, and that was the only time anybody has ever asked me any questions at all. It would not even put me off going to the Tacloban office again, never mind somewhere else. Usually in BoI offices, they just take the money and give you your passport back in one hour, or less and there is no way I'm going to pay anybody 700 pesos or more to get out something as simple and straightforward as that. 

In the same BI I was renewing my ACR after five years. The clerk was quite friendly and helpful. We completed all the forms, and got to the part where she asked for all of my five years of annual registration ORs. I presented the copies to her. She said she needed to have the originals, which I had and did give them to her. I asked why the orginals were needed since I was advised previously to never lose them. She said was so they could send them to Manila as proof I had registered. That seemed odd since I had done the annual registration in this office and they keep a book showing the payment. As well, each time the payment is made, the registration is entered into my computer record. I was not being aggressive, just pointing this out.
That's odd.  When I went to get my perm 13A ACR card the ACR girl asked about my AR for that year as she said it wasn't in their 'system.'  That wasn't on their list of requirements so it was at home and she said she needed that or I could pay again.  I gave her a 'when hell freezes over' laugh and headed downstairs.  I go by the BoI fairly often so it would be nothing to just get the receipt and stop by another time.  When I was heading out the door I thought of something and just went to the AR window and told them I needed a print of my AR payment.  A couple searches and the guy found me and printed it off.  Didn't even have to pay him p2 for the paper.  Took the printout up to the ACR window and done.
  • Like 1
Skywalker

I go to the BI in Mandaue myself, gives me something to do, and I quite enjoy it as a people watching experience.

I suspect the incidence of people overstaying a few days is more common than most people think, because almost everytime I have been there, there has been at least one guy apologising to the big guy, because he forgot the dates etc.  I have also been in that same position, and had no problem at all.

Best advice if you are in that position, be ubber polite, apologetic and don't talk when you should be listening!

JamesMusslewhite

There was a documentary on local television a year or so ago and it was about Americans stranded in Manila for years.

They resorted to begging at, or near the U.S. Embassy and claimed since they were married and had children, they wouldn't consider going back to the states.

I would imagine there are a lot more undocumented aliens here than any of us could possibly imagine (this is assuming that the beggers can't afford to pay for a visa to stay here).

Perhaps one is hanging around S&M asking forum members, "Hey are you an American?"

• Like 1

Being illegal or overstayed in the Philippines can happen for a reason that you will never read anywhere.

Wala kwarta

This is my story

When we arrived my family and I here in Cebu 5 years ago, after spending 2 years in Europe, life was beautiful and my investments allowed me to live a nice life with no stress and any kinds of worries at all.

But, after 1 year, we got separated.

My income has been divided by 6 and that was the beginning of a nightmare.

People who know me, know that I am saying the truth.

I just could not pay anything

Almost got evicted because I was late for rent (4 months)

not able to eat enough

got Internet cut off

Had a motorcycle accident 2 years ago and just stayed home because no money for hospital, now Im limping and knee hurts like hell

When my father died, I was not able to go to his funeral

Once, I had to wait for 4 months to change a P1000 part on my scooter

The only thing that I have left is an apartment but I need to share the rent (rent to own) with my F***G wife

Now I am 2 years late and have no idea how I am going to do it

However, after my father died, I will receive a very big check which should be between now and 1 year

That's the only way for me to pay off my immigration fees and penalties

I will receive half of my pension in 18 months

i have 3 children over here, I am still married

No, because we are overstayed we can't be blacklisted

being overstayed is not a crime in the Philippines

the only thing is to stay discreet

when you go there to pay, just have a low profile, it's my fault etc...

and they actually love to receive these big amounts from you

Yes, there is a lot of people overstaying here, most of them don't want to go to the office every 2 months, but only a few are late for a money problem.

The worst thing that could happen to me would be a deportation because

I have nothing in my country, and don't know where to go

I try to stay positive but every morning, I tell myself

more money due today ...

Brucewayne

Being illegal or overstayed in the Philippines can happen for a reason that you will never read anywhere.

Wala kwarta

This is my story

When we arrived my family and I here in Cebu 5 years ago, after spending 2 years in Europe, life was beautiful and my investments allowed me to live a nice life with no stress and any kinds of worries at all.

But, after 1 year, we got separated.

My income has been divided by 6 and that was the beginning of a nightmare.

People who know me, know that I am saying the truth.

I just could not pay anything

Almost got evicted because I was late for rent (4 months)

not able to eat enough

got Internet cut off

Had a motorcycle accident 2 years ago and just stayed home because no money for hospital, now Im limping and knee hurts like hell

When my father died, I was not able to go to his funeral

Once, I had to wait for 4 months to change a P1000 part on my scooter

The only thing that I have left is an apartment but I need to share the rent (rent to own) with my F***G wife

Now I am 2 years late and have no idea how I am going to do it

However, after my father died, I will receive a very big check which should be between now and 1 year

That's the only way for me to pay off my immigration fees and penalties

I will receive half of my pension in 18 months

i have 3 children over here, I am still married

No, because we are overstayed we can't be blacklisted

being overstayed is not a crime in the Philippines

the only thing is to stay discreet

when you go there to pay, just have a low profile, it's my fault etc...

and they actually love to receive these big amounts from you

Yes, there is a lot of people overstaying here, most of them don't want to go to the office every 2 months, but only a few are late for a money problem.

The worst thing that could happen to me would be a deportation because

I have nothing in my country, and don't know where to go

I try to stay positive but every morning, I tell myself

more money due today ...

Sorry to hear all of this, but it isn't the first story of this nature I have heard and I am sure it isn't the last.

Yeah, a small fee is usually Php 300-1000. Yup. a wide range.

Even though it is not cheap, I would rather not deal with immigration directly. Some of them can be prejudiced/racist/xenophobic/nativist/mysandrystic, etc.and some may be having a bad day at home at take it out on you.

There have been cases of them frowning, barking "What are you doing here in the Philippines? Why are you here? " which is not pleasant. When I balance the possibility of stress and humiliation ;a growling bulldog face on the one hand, vs. peace of mind and good mood on the other, to me it's worth the fee.

I wonder what would happen if you overstay by 1 day and go to the airport do deal with it.

jtmwatchbiz

I wonder what would happen if you overstay by 1 day and go to the airport do deal with it.

i'm pretty sure they have an office there to handle that and altho not recommended, one can pay their late fee at the airport if the situation demands.

done that. you will have to pay to to renew before you can board your flight.