Sign in to follow this  
Boss Ross

Blue Screen followed by Windows XP won't register

Boss Ross

My main computer is out of service since it won't let me register my real Windows XP that is installed on it. First that computer would not start up unless I restarted several times and eventually would not start. Found a local technician, he installed a new mother board which fixed the problem. Computer worked good for a couple weeks, then I got Blue Screen. Followed a lot of instructions for hours and eventually ended up doing a RESTORE back a month or so. Now windows won't let me register my Windows XP that was already loaded.

this area says it is monitored by norseman but there is no norseman as a member. When I try to go to norseman I am redirected to Tim. I know Tim and he is back in the states now. Who is the monitor and who can I take my computer too OR who can come here to fix it. I am a novice when it comes to much of the tech stuff.   

HELP!

ps - the tech that installed the motherboard will not answer his cell phone now. Have been looking for ANY repair person for over 2 months now.

Edited by Boss Ross

KennyF

If I remember right XP would load only on the initial motherboard (and a few more criteria).

KonC

Denis

Do you know how old is your hard disk drive?

Boss Ross

Do you know how old is your hard disk drive?

7 years. The tech that was here checked it and said it was fine. I thought that was the problem but he said it was the mother board and should me several resistors that had popped.

samatm

Find new Technician.   Put in new HD.  7 years old .  YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS >      lots of computer places at EMALL .  good luck.    I use SST in SM or Ayala.  They are pricier than most stalls, but i feel relatively safe and sound with their services. 

Edited by samatm

Denis
7 years. The tech that was here checked it and said it was fine. I thought that was the problem but he said it was the mother board and should me several resistors that had popped.

7 years..... wow... I wish.... :biggrin_01:

without knowing your computer usage over the last 7 years I would suggest that the odds of your hard disk degrading to the point of failure are fairly short priced to being odds on.... depending on the manufacturer they may get a kick out of receiving a letter from you extolling the longevity of their product... who knows, they may send you a complementary...!!!

the only hard disk checking program that I have ever used (20 years ago) was a product called Spin Rite ( https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm ) but nowadays it costs $89 and for the money you would be far better to purchase a new hard drive to go with your new motherboard and XP.

as you are an XP user you may like to follow a website called Ask Leo http://askleo.com/ who is ex Microsoft and has a following of XP users as well as all things Microsoft.

cheers

Edited by No Fixed Address

philuk

BSOD (blue screen of death) is mostly caused by a hardware problem, more often than not, a bad stick of ram,

Try removing the ram and put in just one stick, reinstall xp, sometimes just disconecting things from the motherboard and reseating them will sort a lot of problems,

Remove the CPU fan, usually two clips and check the numbskull has put enough thermal paste between heatsink and CPU, an overheating CPU will also cause a BSOD

Edited by philuk
  • Like 1

Tinbum

For all my personal and company repairs to CPU's, laptops, printers. faxes etc i can reccomend

4netz solutions
Unit 207 (Ground floor slightly left of centre)
Krizia Building,  Gorordo Ave, Cebu City 6000
(032) 416 4850

Really friendly, efficient, reasonably priced and a 3 month guarantee.

Edited by Tinbum

Monsoon

The new motherboard did you in. This happened to me once and I called Microsoft and they gave me a new key and all was good.

The ties to the MB is part of their anti-piracy controls.

As I remember I didn't have much of any information for them, just called them and told them the truth, gave them the serial # of my computer etc. And voila.

Edited by Monsoon