Sign in to follow this  
tambok

Not-often-mentioned dangers and things to watch out

Paddy

I am not totting my horn mate but no matter what u do here there is always someone that u piss off as they never see this shit... they just see another rich kano...or another tourist that is an atm.

All I can say is, never worry about things you cannot control. Only worry about things you can control. I don't recommend giving up your courteous ways. However, if you perceive that you always get negative feedback regarding your actions or if you feel you are constantly put upon, it may be time to re-examine the way you interact with those who do this to you. 

• Like 2

SomeRandomGuy

mate I have met quiet a few guys my age that have been getting very similar things happen to me..... problem is because we are somewhat younger then the average expat we are considered tourists and easy marks...

most of the dudes i know that are much older then me never have these issues.... they are never approached to buy drugs, join gangs we all get the kano tax but lately i been getting it every time i walk out of my house....  I do wonder if it is a dumaguete issue as I did not have these problems in cebu...   my only problem with cebu was i could so it slowly getting worse for air pollution and traffic and gang and drug problems... plus It was time to move away from the family and give my partner a chance to breathe and be herself.

bahalina buong

mate I have met quiet a few guys my age that have been getting very similar things happen to me..... problem is because we are somewhat younger then the average expat we are considered tourists and easy marks...

If you can't manage a break from the Phils, the next best thing is seclusion and/or limited contact with the locals.  A few months ago, I was in a similar place that you are now, but I couldn't take that much-needed break due to family obligations.  So I just stayed home, for two weeks straight, and it really helped me.  Now when I go out (which is 3-4 times a week), I make sure I'm in a very good mood, or I don't go.  Meditation, motivational readings and a tall glass of bahalina usually gets me where i need to be, mentally.  Then I remind myself not to take the locals too seriously and not to expect much from them at all.  Most frustration here is a result of expecting Filipinos to behave....like something other than Filipinos.  Setting the bar really low usually results in being pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 4

softail

most of the dudes i know that are much older then me never have these issues.... they are never approached to buy drugs, join gangs we all get the kano tax but lately i been getting it every time i walk out of my house....  I do wonder if it is a dumaguete issue as I did not have these problems in cebu...   my only problem with cebu was i could so it slowly getting worse for air pollution and traffic and gang and drug problems... plus It was time to move away from the family and give my partner a chance to breathe and be herself.

This is interesting, why don't you tell us about your experience being approached to join a gang.

Doug

SomeRandomGuy

This is interesting, why don't you tell us about your experience being approached to join a gang. Doug

are u serious?    no big deal one of the cousins of the brotherhood here approached me and we started talking and asked if I was interested in helping their org out with finance and in return would be offered all the pro's and con's that come with it.

no real big deal.... i guess i just have that look.

I do get asked quiet often if I want to buy shaboo,,,  which is strange for whatever reason and I am asked more now then ever if I would like to smoke weed and buy weed with certain memebers of the local area....

Was even offered to go and see where there crops were a few years ago ... wow what a big red flag danger bill robertson conversation that was....

softail

are u serious?    no big deal one of the cousins of the brotherhood here approached me and we started talking and asked if I was interested in helping their org out with finance and in return would be offered all the pro's and con's that come with it.

no real big deal.... i guess i just have that look.

I do get asked quiet often if I want to buy shaboo,,,  which is strange for whatever reason and I am asked more now then ever if I would like to smoke weed and buy weed with certain memebers of the local area....

Was even offered to go and see where there crops were a few years ago ... wow what a big red flag danger bill robertson conversation that was....

Must be because of the crowd you are hanging out with, I rather doubt that most foreigners are approached to join the local gangs.  I hope we don't have a thread on the forum with a title going something like "remember that guy" bla bla bla.

SomeRandomGuy
Must be because of the crowd you are hanging out with,

yeah it must be... ummm monks and priests and my gf mainly... maybe they are a bad influence on me

actually that gang thing was really quiet random... i was sitting minding my own business in robinson's contemplating life and thinking about zagu when this dude just comes out of nowhere and starts talking to me.... said he  knew me from some one or something ( maybe back when I used to do missionary shit I thought) then starts talking about the brotherhood and shit....

Some guys here I think get confused and think some of us look the same

Edited by SomeRandomGuy

smokey

yeah it must be... ummm monks and priests and my gf mainly... maybe they are a bad influence on me

actually that gang thing was really quiet random... i was sitting minding my own business in robinson's contemplating life and thinking about zagu when this dude just comes out of nowhere and starts talking to me.... said he  knew me from some one or something ( maybe back when I used to do missionary shit I thought) then starts talking about the brotherhood and shit....

Some guys here I think get confused and think some of us look the same

its always about the money..... like the girl that hands you a card that says... hello i am a deaf mute and then asked for a donation its only later when you see her order a Starbucks coffee you realize they must have braille on the cups  

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

its always about the money..... like the girl that hands you a card that says... hello i am a deaf mute and then asked for a donation its only later when you see her order a Starbucks coffee you realize they must have braille on the cups

I dated that girl for a couple of days... turns out she could talk and i was let down... thought I would get away with a non nagging gf

tomaw
..... WOW!!! Where can I find these guys? They look like something out of a sci fi /horror movie. I just got an idea: Mileshigh and I can train them to pull us through the air on hang gliders! They navigate with their own radar so we won't even need an instrument rating!!! LOL !!!