Not-often-mentioned dangers and things to watch out

I think all sorts of people do all sorts of things without thinking about them and because everyone else does them.

Why do professional soccer players spit on the pitch? Do they do that in their cars or on the street too?

I have often wondered about spitting.  I think its more working class

and no they pick their nose in the car

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• udonthani

• jtmwatchbiz

• tambok

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not often mentioned dangers and things to watch out for in the Philippines   1) Giant cockroaches 2) Rats 3) Snakes 4) Loud neighbors 5) Loud chickens 6) Loud dogs 7) Loud dogs with fleas, rab

These dangers rarely if ever get mentioned anywhere so I must warn people here about them. I am not a lawyer so this is based on hearsay - nothing below is legal advice. Here we go: 1) In the Philipp

well to me and quite a few other readers it appears to be mostly "heresay" as you yourself stated. everything you posted is simply rehashed stuff that's been posted ad-nausea...no revelations and to b

Posted Images

udonthani

do you even know what the median age is? It means that 50% of the population is under that age and 50% is older. And the median age is going up and up all the time. Women were having less children now than they were five years ago, And they were having less children five years before that.

what this means is that the proportionate number of teenagers, and people that will become teenagers in the coming years is going to get lower and lower and lower.

of course the Philippines is still a very young country age-wise. But it is not as young as it used to be. And in the future it will get still less young.

here is the ASEAN Median Age List 

Laos 21.6

Philippiines 23.3

Cambodia 23.7

Malaysia 27.4

Myanmar 27.6

Vietnam 28.7

Indonesia 28.9

Brunei 29

Singapore 33.6

Thailand 35.1

• Like 2
udonthani

the median age is 23.3 years whippy... not the average age.... these two things are called different words as they are different.

different yes - but not much different. There would be no more than a few months between the average and the median. Demographic statisticians always use median rather than average in large samples of millions. People only use averages with small samples, like average age of sports teams, because it is that bit easier to calculate. If you were to work out the average age of the last Australian cricket team, and then work out the median age of the same group, you will find that the differebce is tiny.

SomeRandomGuy

so still the highest percentage age group is between 13 to 20   yes?          ie teenagers? right? so this country is already predominately teenagers?

and yes I am fully aware of what median is.....  and all u have said is concur with my statement that teenagers basically rule this country as they are the majority and as i posted  one of the lowest median ages in the country was in mindinao at 18.1 as the median age....

how about i just ask u this and u can just answer yes or no and we will leave it at that....  do u think there is a lot of teenagers here... more so then lets say the rest of the demographic?

and even saying all that    do u really think that age really is a true factor when we all know ( not filipino bashing just stating truths) that people are not as mature even at 24 as a 24 year old in the west would be....    quiet a few 27 year old i have met here almost seem to have the mindset of a 16 year old back home

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
Davaoeno

so still the highest percentage age group is between 13 to 20   yes?          ie teenagers? right? so this country is already predominately teenagers?

i dont think you understand what 'predominantly ' means 

udonthani

I would not say that it is the highest group numerically, because I don't know and neither do you, but yes I would say that it is one of the highest.

but one thing I do know, is that age group of teenagers is going to get less in the future, not more. Surely you must see that. Filipino women are having less and less children and they were having less and less children ten years ago too, than they were before. Ergo, the proportion of teenagers is bound to get lower and lower. If teenagers really are the biggest group right now numerically as in 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40 and so on, then that will change soon when the 11-20 group is no longer the largest group and the largest group becomes not the 11-20 group but the 21-30 group. it is just a mathematical certainty as it is very unlikely that the birth rate will not continue to lower.

SomeRandomGuy
having ascendancy, power, authority, or influence over others; preeminent.

i think that what it means and in context but what I am saying is that they are the majority in an age bracket demographic...

I hope that is what it means.... maybe I got it confused with my natural tendency to say hmmmmf   whatever dude

And yes I have read the global problem of lower birth rates... I have also read that those living in this country that are living way below that poverty line are still having many more babies then the 3.1 per woman quota in the 2010 census hence bringing in a new generation of people that will have very low education into a labor market that needs skilled workers which will not have any jobs to give them as they will lack the skills to fill that work market...

strangely enough I get all the same information u also get.... probably from the same site...

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
udonthani

look mate you got yourself into this mess because you claimed that teenagers were going to be 50% of the Philippines in a few years time when they are not even 20% now. One thing is for absolutely sure. Teenagers are going to become less frequent not more frequent. So if they are 20% now, then in a few years time they will be like 18% or 19% as the median/average age of the Philippines continues to rise. .

and paddy mate the way I have seen to change things is to be one man that people look up to... to be different in your way of thinking and hopefully change a whole generations thoughts thru music or art before being killed by those that want the status quo as it is........not standing for someone else's national anthem is not disrespectful... if it was at a sporting event or at a school event or occasions that it might mean something than I would stand... but at the start of a movie or the opening of a shopping centre ( and i mean opening hours of a shopping centre) then I say no to that..... there is no need for the national anthem to be played during the cinema or as a mall opens except to further impose a governments will on people......or do u really think I am wrong?

Don't get me wrong - I don't need to maintain the status quo. I am a little conservative in my thinking is all and I have no real problems with tradition. If you achieve being a man everyone looks up to (for whatever reason), I contend that you will have achieved a significant level of influence in the community of "everyone" and you may wish to exercise that influence to make changes. Under those circumstances, I have no problems with the changes you might make since you would probably have a majority supporting you.

Not standing for a national anthem is disrespectful if the people of that nation consider it so. If you get so much as one frown when remaining seated, you certainly showed disrespect to at least one person. The fact that I consider it disrespectful (and, being a dinosaur, I do) is neither here nor there.

I agree with you in that playing the national anthem at a commercial event or in a cinema is outdated thinking. It used to be considered normal. Somebody has indeed made a change you can agree with - but not yet in the Philippines. 

You choose to describe playing the national anthem as "impose a governments will on people". It can equally, and reasonably, be described as "encourage national pride".  Whether anyone should encourage national pride is a different discussion.

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

doesn't matter about percentages... whole country is already run by teenagers anyway... age doesn't defer wisdom or mentality...

though it is comming up to the next census as it is 2013... lets just see if the numbers add up this time... i do seriously doubt the accuracy of the statics here... after all   it only has a 7% unemployment rate   right? :sarcasm:

I only see what I see around the place and in my back yard i see 20 families with 6 to 8 kids each and none of them are over the age of 14....  and I very seriously doubt the good people of the census ever got around to counting them... nor the folks up the mountains nor half the islands in this country....  i have read reports that the actually population is and can be anywhere to 20% off what the census has said... i guess only time will tell

SomeRandomGuy

Don't get me wrong - I don't need to maintain the status quo. I am a little conservative in my thinking is all and I have no real problems with tradition. If you achieve being a man everyone looks up to (for whatever reason), I contend that you will have achieved a significant level of influence in the community of "everyone" and you may wish to exercise that influence to make changes. Under those circumstances, I have no problems with the changes you might make since you would probably have a majority supporting you.

Not standing for a national anthem is disrespectful if the people of that nation consider it so. If you get so much as one frown when remaining seated, you certainly showed disrespect to at least one person. The fact that I consider it disrespectful (and, being a dinosaur, I do) is neither here nor there.

I agree with you in that playing the national anthem at a commercial event or in a cinema is outdated thinking. It used to be considered normal. Somebody has indeed made a change you can agree with - but not yet in the Philippines. 

You choose to describe playing the national anthem as "impose a governments will on people". It can equally, and reasonably, be described as "encourage national pride".  Whether anyone should encourage national pride is a different discussion.

paddy mate i help little old ladies get on to trikes.. i help pregnant women off them... if an old lady drops something at the store i rush to pick it up for her... i give my taxi to an old lady or a woman with a child or that is child bearing because i am respectful and more importantly   no one else of their fellow country men are doing it....   I go out of my way to help people and be kind and lovely whenever I can.... if someone falls down I help pick them up not stare at them at make jokes like I have seen here....  I am not totting my horn mate but no matter what u do here there is always someone that u piss off as they never see this shit... they just see another rich kano...or another tourist that is an atm.

Its a shame too as I have met some truly amazing people here and even fell in love with one....well as i say u can't please everyone

That is definitely a good plan. Where do the friends and relatives live?

........ Cebu City. So far we're considering building a house in a subdivision in Compostela or Moalboal to live in when I retire 2-3 years from now.. Edited by tomaw
udonthani

doesn't matter about percentages... whole country is already run by teenagers anyway... age doesn't defer wisdom or mentality...

there is a lot of competition for this, but that is arguably is the silliest thing you have so far said. The Senate president Juan Ponce Enrile is 89 years old and his term as senator will run for another 3 years. He was Defence Secretary during the Marcos martial law era. The two candidates for the recent Mayoral election won by previous president Estrada were 76 and 83 years of age respectively. The Philippines is country of youngsters presided over by ancient hulks from the Marcos era.

SomeRandomGuy

i didnt realize a president ran a country    here i always thought he was just a figure head for the ruling elite so the masses can feel like their vote counted... sorry my bad again

I have always thought it was the media and wa wa wee that ran this country as people seem to listen to them a lot more

funny though I have met some 80 year old guys here that act like teenagers.... i guess it is all that young girl thing they get into

anyway bed time for me it is almost 3 am       i have to get ready for even more dumber statements to make tomorrow just for u....

though i do prefer when u are arguing like this instead of talking about how many poor girls u are going to get to drop the pants when u get here

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
Knowdafish

look mate you got yourself into this mess because you claimed that teenagers were going to be 50% of the Philippines in a few years time when they are not even 20% now. One thing is for absolutely sure. Teenagers are going to become less frequent not more frequent. So if they are 20% now, then in a few years time they will be like 18% or 19% as the median/average age of the Philippines continues to rise. .

pr1266f1.gif