Not-often-mentioned dangers and things to watch out

bahalina buong

you are assuming that all that growth is a result of an increased birth rate - even as you surely must know that the birth rate in the Philippines, whilst high, is falling and it has been falling for decades. The birth rate now in 2013 is roughly half what it was in 1950. Slower than it fell in Thailand for sure, which is one of the most dramatic falls there has been anywhere. But it is still falling. For example the median age in the Philippines in 1980 was 18.6, in 1970, 16.9. Now it is closer to 25 than 20. It is definitely going up. People are living longer and that is where the growth comes from.

Well, hopefully this rising median age will pull the median mental age up to at least 15.  That would be nice.

• Like 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• udonthani

• jtmwatchbiz

• tambok

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not often mentioned dangers and things to watch out for in the Philippines   1) Giant cockroaches 2) Rats 3) Snakes 4) Loud neighbors 5) Loud chickens 6) Loud dogs 7) Loud dogs with fleas, rab

These dangers rarely if ever get mentioned anywhere so I must warn people here about them. I am not a lawyer so this is based on hearsay - nothing below is legal advice. Here we go: 1) In the Philipp

well to me and quite a few other readers it appears to be mostly "heresay" as you yourself stated. everything you posted is simply rehashed stuff that's been posted ad-nausea...no revelations and to b

Posted Images

SomeRandomGuy

in 2010 census the pop from 0 to 14 was 30,717,524

the working age 15 to 64 was 57,374,256

the over 64 was 4,004,125

so if we add  two together    we get 61, 378,381..... lets divide that number by the pop of 0 to 14

that comes to 1.998155222406598.... lets round that up and call it 2

so a thrid of the population of this country is ummmmm  under the age of 15?   yes

http://www.nscb.gov.ph/beyondthenumbers/2012/11162012_jrga_popn.asp

or is my math not that good.....   median age is not a really great way of saying that... look at the facts and figures of the census        says to me the country is 33 % under the age of 15 to me   

being that 61 million are between 15 and up and 30.7 million are 14 and down.... there is a huge gap between the two numbers......   also since ( and I am not filipino bashing just being honest) 1 in every 3 filipino's then are under the age of 14... in my small mind it does seem to be the teenagers already outnumber every other age group comparatively.... or the median age wouldnt be as low as it is.

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 1

and possibly a well funded guy! with my limited resources i would break into a cold sweat if i had to take a bunch of females shopping :)

......... My American brother-inlaw and I plan on living at least 2 hours away from our wives friends and extended family. The imediate family I have no problems with.
  • Like 1
Headshot

......... My American brother-inlaw and I plan on living at least 2 hours away from our wives friends and extended family. The imediate family I have no problems with.

That is definitely a good plan. Where do the friends and relatives live?

• Administrator
Salty Dog

No one mentioned to look out for the giant bats here.

palawan-philippines-super-fruit-bat-01.jpgtumblr_mdm7hc3KAi1rkr7v4o1_500.jpgtumblr_m355kbKIuF1qalacuo1_1280.jpg

SomeRandomGuy

ha   its lami?

• Like 1

Stand for the anthem? My departed uncle was a grenadier guard who did time on guard at Windsor Castle. If the Queen came on TV at home we all used to have to stand!

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

Ive watched a great deal of filipino's not stand for their anthem and it does not seem to be such a big deal to them.... maybe this whole national pride thing is starting to finally skip generations and we can just go on with our lives instead of having to stand for music like it is some sort of big deal.

U know what I am pretty sure life used to be really simple once upon a time having to stand for a song out of respect just seems stupid and horrible to me.

I refuse to be a slave to the masses... how can we be individuals if we all do whatever everyone else is doing.

I am anti nationalistic at heart as it just begets small mindedness....today watching the national anthem only about 80% of people stood and they were mainly the older generation.... maybe out of respect? or out of brain washing i think would be more likely...

How can the younger generation change the world and make it a better place if the things that are always done have to be done because that is how we always did them>?

I think a lot of Filipinos stand for the anthem for the same reason they go to church at look everywhere but the front and check txt messages. Everyone else does it.

How can the younger generation change the world and make it a better place if the things that are always done have to be done because that is how we always did them>?

The way to change things, as explained to me by my father, is to be a member of the appropriate community/organization/country/whatever, rise to a position of significant power or influence and then change things using the agreed mechanisms for change within that community/organization/country/whatever.

The younger generation will succeed in changing the world - in their turn. I hope it really does turn out to be a better place. 

I am unlikely to be convinced that doing something that others may consider disrespectful is a way to change things for the better.

udonthani

in 2010 census the pop from 0 to 14 was 30,717,524

the working age 15 to 64 was 57,374,256

the over 64 was 4,004,125

so if we add  two together    we get 61, 378,381..... lets divide that number by the pop of 0 to 14

that comes to 1.998155222406598.... lets round that up and call it 2

so a thrid of the population of this country is ummmmm  under the age of 15?   yes

http://www.nscb.gov.ph/beyondthenumbers/2012/11162012_jrga_popn.asp

or is my math not that good.....   median age is not a really great way of saying that... look at the facts and figures of the census        says to me the country is 33 % under the age of 15 to me   

being that 61 million are between 15 and up and 30.7 million are 14 and down.... there is a huge gap between the two numbers......   also since ( and I am not filipino bashing just being honest) 1 in every 3 filipino's then are under the age of 14... in my small mind it does seem to be the teenagers already outnumber every other age group comparatively.... or the median age wouldnt be as low as it is.

you just haven't got a clue mate. Filipinos are having LESS children, every single year, year on year like most countries in the world, and their average age is going up to the point where the average Filipino is, at 23.3 year of age, 40% older than they were in 1970 when their average age was less than 17. The country is getting older, like all its neighbours are. Your claim that '50% of Filipinos will be teenagers in a few years time' is complete, utter balderdash. There will be less teenagers in the Philippines in a few years time, not  more, as the birth rate continues to slowly fall and the country country continues to gradually get older and older.

SomeRandomGuy
our claim that '50% of Filipinos will be teenagers in a few years time' is complete, utter balderdash.

if 33 percent is under the age of 14.....   how many of a percentage do u think is between 15 and 19.

so my claim in the years that 50% of the philippines will be teenagers in ten years... well u know what whippy.. it aint to far off my random statistic at the momment....

the median age is 23.3 years whippy... not the average age.... these two things are called different words as they are different.

You are comming here in a few weeks to do what u do... how about u let your mind dwell on that. Instead of insulting me as i might be maybe 5% off from being completely right.

here's a thought for u... if 31 million people are under the age of 14..... and 61 million are over the age of 15 and the median age is 23.3 years.... what actual percentage of those people would be teenagers?.... ill let u figure that out while u consider your trip here next time... im surprised u can be thinking at all with all the great time u will be paying to have here.

and paddy mate the way I have seen to change things is to be one man that people look up to... to be different in your way of thinking and hopefully change a whole generations thoughts thru music or art before being killed by those that want the status quo as it is........not standing for someone else's national anthem is not disrespectful... if it was at a sporting event or at a school event or occasions that it might mean something than I would stand... but at the start of a movie or the opening of a shopping centre ( and i mean opening hours of a shopping centre) then I say no to that..... there is no need for the national anthem to be played during the cinema or as a mall opens except to further impose a governments will on people......or do u really think I am wrong?

Edited by SomeRandomGuy

I think a lot of Filipinos stand for the anthem for the same reason they go to church at look everywhere but the front and check txt messages. Everyone else does it.

I think all sorts of people do all sorts of things without thinking about them and because everyone else does them.

Why do professional soccer players spit on the pitch? Do they do that in their cars or on the street too?