Not-often-mentioned dangers and things to watch out

the rubber hits the road when your out alone... no wife .... and not in the mall ,  today i went to Atlantic hardware to buy paint i patiently sat there waiting for my turn... keep getting people cut in front so i put on my do onto others mode and stood my ground and got served ... i was respectable but firm

Again, you're probably right. I'll just shop with my wife, her friends and family.The only problem is who's going to protect me from them! LOL !!!

post-12051-0-56347200-1380556723_thumb.jpg

post-12051-0-94496900-1380559995_thumb.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• udonthani

• jtmwatchbiz

• tambok

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not often mentioned dangers and things to watch out for in the Philippines   1) Giant cockroaches 2) Rats 3) Snakes 4) Loud neighbors 5) Loud chickens 6) Loud dogs 7) Loud dogs with fleas, rab

These dangers rarely if ever get mentioned anywhere so I must warn people here about them. I am not a lawyer so this is based on hearsay - nothing below is legal advice. Here we go: 1) In the Philipp

well to me and quite a few other readers it appears to be mostly "heresay" as you yourself stated. everything you posted is simply rehashed stuff that's been posted ad-nausea...no revelations and to b

Posted Images

I know tambok (at least a little bit) and he has gotten misrepresented in this thread (also a little bit). He is not a paranoid nut in my experience, has lived off and on (mostly on) in PI for many years, genuinely likes PI and its people, and did not copy his posting from anyone other than himself. He posted it on a site where I am also a member. It was perhaps a little bit more appropriate on that site, since most of that site's members do not live in and have not visited the Philippines.

If he made any kind of mistake, it was in posting this on a site populated by expats and frequent travelers to the Philippines.

OTOH I can't help but think that if this were posted by one of the more long-standing and frequent posters, the reaction would have been different.

• Like 2
Davaoeno

to me by posting that comment on the other forum  where people who are interested in seeing the Philippines and who really dont have a clue about what it is like here  he does every person who reads it a huge disservice because he does sound like a paranoid nut to those of us who live here and know our way around .

what would the reaction have been if i had posted it ? well in the first place I would be way too embarrassed to post that stuff  but if i did so  I  expect  the outcome would be that I would  be ridiculed for months - and rightly so  !!

SkyMan

I expect the outcome would be that I would be ridiculed for months - and rightly so !!
So you're saying, business as usual?
  • Like 1

what would the reaction have been if i had posted it ? 

They would assume you were having a good day :)

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

to me by posting that comment on the other forum where people who are interested in seeing the Philippines and who really dont have a clue about what it is like here he does every person who reads it a huge disservice because he does sound like a paranoid nut to those of us who live here and know our way around .

what would the reaction have been if i had posted it ? well in the first place I would be way too embarrassed to post that stuff but if i did so I expect the outcome would be that I would be ridiculed for months - and rightly so !!

....... I think over half the posts on this fourm sound like paranoid nut cases. ....... And most of them still live there!
  • Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

I don't stand for the philippine natioal anthem... I get a lot of looks but I have my own national anthem and I dont stand for that either.... I dont expect people to stand for my national anthem in australia( i post this as I got looks today for once again not standing for the philippine national anthem).

Today I was ripped off 20 peso and when I said dude  u over charged me the guy said and laughed it is ok u got lots of money ( i mention this as it happened this morning and then again yesterday with a different vendor on a different island and it is cheeky and very very rude).

I got a jeep home today and the standard fare is 8.50 peso... i gave the guy 25 peso as i sometimes do as a tip and he said not that fare is 30 peso's... i told him he was kidding himself and he gave me a death stare and now the gf is all worried about this dude.

I don't know what I am doing wrong here lately... I have never had problems before but the last 8 months I seem to run into problem and issues all the time....

GUys here just stare at my partner all the time looking her up and down and fecking her with their eyes and make their lip smacking noises to get her attention which she ignores but i can see she is annoyed about it.... I am forever being overcharged and over quoted priced for everything I try to buy.....

I have been here over 5 years and I have always been the nicest guys and I too have always been told I am not like other kano and yet the last 8 months I have for whatever reason seen the ass end of every bad thing around this country.....    for those that live in dumaguete... am i the only one getting this problem?

Here i do vent a bit but i have seen and ( i dont think I am aware of any thing I have done ) recieved some terrible treatment lately.

Also   for those that dont say bad things happen to people  some of u guys here might know english pete that owned a small resto bar in cebu... he was witness to a murder last year and had to leave town as these people wanted to kill him to shut him up from what he had seen (    he just saw a guy in a motor bike helmet shoot a kid in the back two times then in the head two times and has know idea what this guy looks like).

He had to leave cebu thru no fault of his own.

Bad things do happen to people here and not just foreingers....  maybe I am just in a rough patch at the moment but lately I have just had a shit bloody time here and for those that know me....    know I am a friendly and genuine guy.... maybe I am doing something wrong according to the posters here

jtmwatchbiz

maybe I am doing something wrong according to the posters here

i wouldn't get too worried about it. you know the old saying "when it rains it pours". just keep smiling and head about your business and before you know it this too shall pass*.

*jeez i'm really getting to be kinda pretentious with all these cute and over-used inspirational rules of thumb!   

• Like 3
InternetTough
I don't stand for the philippine natioal anthem... I get a lot of looks but I have my own national anthem and I dont stand for that either.

Sheesh! I lived in the USA for my whole childhood and I didn't say the Pledge of Allegiance but I always stood up, but kept my hands at my sides and didn't say it.The Americans (teachers or fellow students) never gave me any problems about it after they heard that I was a Canadian. This was back in the 60s and 70s.

Why don't you stand for the national anthem? This makes life harder for all foreigners here, you sitting away, as Filipinos would rightly take it as an insult. Whenever I hear the Filipinos complaining about the Koreans, it is usually about how they don't respect the Filipinos---it isn't that they are too often loud, obnoxious drunks in Cebu.  The Filipinos are sensitive to issues of respect.

When you are a foreigner, you are a guest, whether you like it or not. You shouldn't feel comfortable in offering gratuitous insult to the host. 

And nobody knows or cares here about what you do in Australia---that hardly gives you permission to insult the nation here.

Edited by InternetTough
  • Like 3
Majorsco

It's about respect. You don't have to say any pledge of sing the anthem, but it sows respect to the country you're living in. And I agree that disrespect by some foreigners does get us all painted by the same brush.

smokey

....... I think over half the posts on this fourm sound like paranoid nut cases. ....... And most of them still live there!

just say hello to prozac and all your troubles will be down the drain like rotter rooter 

• Like 1
BossHog

Standing during an anthem, assuming you're attending the event in question, is obligatory and not optional.

Not doing so could well be considered "a danger and something watch out for".

Sitting during an anthem implies an insult so if it's a big deal to not stand just arrange to be in the CR or whatever at that time.

Also, I'll bet your female companion catches more shit from this behaviour than you may realize.

and somerandomguy: it might be time for a quick vacation out of the country to "recharge". We all have spells like the one you describe from time to time. Keep your chin up!

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
BossHog

Again, you're probably right. I'll just shop with my wife, her friends and family.The only problem is who's going to protect me from them! LOL !!! Attached Thumbnails at_the_dance_floor.jpg Tom and Aida- 3rd Trip to Cebu 004.jpg

So, tomaw, did you marry into a family without any males? If your idea of fun is taking a bunch of women shopping than power to ya! You are one very well trained guy.

jtmwatchbiz

If your idea of fun is taking a bunch of women shopping than power to ya! You are one very well trained guy.

and possibly a well funded guy! with my limited resources i would break into a cold sweat if i had to take a bunch of females shopping :)

• Like 1