Sign in to follow this  
tambok

Not-often-mentioned dangers and things to watch out

udonthani

This is not a country I would live in long term ( population is about to be 50% teenagers in the next few years)....

total bullshit. The median age of the Philippines is low at 23.3 years but it is going to get higher, not lower. It is just not going to get higher as fast as like Thailand's median age got higher from about 1980, when it was much lower than the median age in the Philippines is now, at 19.8. Today in 2013, the Thai median is 35.8 higher than Singapore's.

SomeRandomGuy

its funny as I have data that states at the momment that 4 out of every 10 in house hold populations are school age... that is as of the 2010 census.... so that is from 5 to 15 years old.......     that seems to be 40%..... that is just at the moment..... 

as far as median age goes if u went region by region   NCR has the highest median age of 25.5 years and ARMM had the lowest of 18.1 years....

Also as far as standing for the national anthem goes..... out of respect?     

I am not philippino as I seem to be reminded about 50 times a day at the moment... I am a foreigner and have no rights here and as of late am not being respected at all as even being a human being...

The day I am filipino citizen is the day I will stand for another countries national anthem.... out of respect for my home country I do not stand for another countries national anthem.

I respect every avenue of this culture but I will not stand for a national anthem that is mine...that would be spitting on the graves and the boots of men that are fighting for the sovereignty of my nation....

I am a guest here but I do have rights and a nation of my own and unless philippines decides to adopt me then I will and am a visitor here.

My rights needs to be respected too... not just a country that I am visiting and I know I will get a lot of flak for posting this as it is not pc... but I do love the people here ( mostly) and if I did not respect filipino's I would not take one as my partner... but if they want tourists here and want us to invest here then they have to learn to bend a little too..... I have worked with many filipino's in my country.... u think i have ever seen them stand for my anthem back home?

and i just read the phil constitution and it say citizens have to stand for their anthem and the national flag....   last time I looked I am not a citizens here

Edited by SomeRandomGuy

udonthani

if you think that 50% of the population of the Philippines is going to be between the ages of 13 and 19 in a few years then you are just thick as two short planks. The average age of the Philippines is going up. It's gone up by three years just in the time I have been going, 12 years. And I think it will go up even faster in the years ahead.

as for the national anthem in the Philippines is hardly ever played anyway. It is not like Thailand where everything stops in every train and bus station in the country at 8am and 6pm. Not standing in a Thai movie theater when the anthem is played would just be boorish, ignorant, and above all attention seeking behaviour.

SomeRandomGuy

i think the population here will be between 0 and 20 as the majority in the next 10 years....  that is just my observation but hey what do i know... I just live here not visit to root as many young poor girls as i can

• Like 1

passingby

Not standing for the National Anthem when the picture of HM the King is on the screen is more than boorish it will get you in a lot of trouble - as it should be.  I really do not see the problem of standing for the national anthem of countries other than your own.  I have lived in Hanoi in the late 1980's and in Cambodia from October 1979.  The countries were outwardly communist at that time and I stood for the respective anthems.  Standing does NOT detract from what ever you feel for your home country but it does show respect for the country you happen to be in.  Those of us who have been military officers would not have a problem of standing at attention during the anthem of another country - not need to place your hand over your heart - but standing at attention will gain you respect of those about you. 

• Like 3

Paddy

Also as far as standing for the national anthem goes..... out of respect?      I am not philippino as I seem to be reminded about 50 times a day at the moment... I am a foreigner and have no rights here and as of late am not being respected at all as even being a human being...   The day I am filipino citizen is the day I will stand for another countries national anthem.... out of respect for my home country I do not stand for another countries national anthem. I respect every avenue of this culture but I will not stand for a national anthem that is mine...that would be spitting on the graves and the boots of men that are fighting for the sovereignty of my nation....

I cannot agree. Two wrongs do not make a right. 

I don't believe your country is at war with the Philippines. In which case, your government and your armed forces will render honours to the Philippines flag whenever necessary. As an implied ambassador of your country while travelling or living abroad, I believe you are obligated to do the same.

It doesn't hurt you to stand for a couple of minutes. Not standing quite likely will...

• Like 6

Majorsco

When I go to a school function they always play the anthem and I would never insult the rendering of honors. I can't imagine being so disrespectful since I am only a guest in a country who's acceptance of foreigners comes and goes depending on who is around

SomeRandomGuy

ahhh i didnt realize standing up for the national anthem will get me respect here..... I guess after 3 years of doing missionary work and doing what I can for poor people didn't get me any respect here.... hey Ill stand for the national anthem and see if that does next time.... how bout that...

ok from now on too gain respect from the people who some days hate us and some days like us I will now on stand for the national anthem... hope everyone is happy then.

I guess since I am not military I just don't know how to respect people... didn't really want to go around shooting people from other nations out of respect for their lives and all...

I guess as a young aussie guy I don't really get the whole national anthem thing and maybe I am speaking as a person from a much younger generation.

I guess once again I am wrong and all you guys are right... silly me

jtmwatchbiz

I guess once again I am wrong and all you guys are right... silly me

hold onto that thought :)

• Like 1

GoHuk

total bullshit. The median age of the Philippines is low at 23.3 years but it is going to get higher, not lower. It is just not going to get higher as fast as like Thailand's median age got higher from about 1980, when it was much lower than the median age in the Philippines is now, at 19.8. Today in 2013, the Thai median is 35.8 higher than Singapore's.

Whippy, could you publish your sources and links.  I find it curious that when there is an average population increase of around 2.5% per annum this does not lead to a lowering of the average age.  The only explanation for an increase in average age is that there is a 'bulge' that is working its way through the statistics.  If true then the increase in average age is temporary; it will reverse.

GoHuk
I don't stand for the philippine natioal anthem...

Simply, discourteous!

Edited by GoHuk

SomeRandomGuy

and hey joe u give me money isnt?

yet

I am not catholic and always stop during prayer time with my head bowed

I honestly think no matter what I do here....    even if i was perfect in every way like most of u guys.... there will always be something seemingly that i do that is disrespectful to someone in the RP...

u just can't win can ya

Edited by SomeRandomGuy

udonthani

Whippy, could you publish your sources and links.  I find it curious that when there is an average population increase of around 2.5% per annum this does not lead to a lowering of the average age.  The only explanation for an increase in average age is that there is a 'bulge' that is working its way through the statistics.  If true then the increase in average age is temporary; it will reverse.

you are assuming that all that growth is a result of an increased birth rate - even as you surely must know that the birth rate in the Philippines, whilst high, is falling and it has been falling for decades. The birth rate now in 2013 is roughly half what it was in 1950. Slower than it fell in Thailand for sure, which is one of the most dramatic falls there has been anywhere. But it is still falling. For example the median age in the Philippines in 1980 was 18.6, in 1970, 16.9. Now it is closer to 25 than 20. It is definitely going up. People are living longer and that is where the growth comes from.

SomeRandomGuy

the day I trust the philippines to actually do any sort of accurate census is they day pigs fly.....    people here just pull numbers out of hats.... my 12 local squatter families here have atleast 7 to 8 kids between each of them...... i wonder if they even know what a census is

• Like 1

udonthani

what you clearly do not realise is that fifty years ago some of those kids would have been orphans or at least one parent short. As in dead. Both birth and death rates are falling in the Philippines. Result : a growing, but ageing, although still young by international standards population. There may be a few countries in the world that have a median age that is getting lower, they are likely to be in AIDS ravaged countries in Africa with high birth rates, but high death rates as well. You can be totally sure that the Philippines is not one of them.

bahalina buong

you are assuming that all that growth is a result of an increased birth rate - even as you surely must know that the birth rate in the Philippines, whilst high, is falling and it has been falling for decades. The birth rate now in 2013 is roughly half what it was in 1950. Slower than it fell in Thailand for sure, which is one of the most dramatic falls there has been anywhere. But it is still falling. For example the median age in the Philippines in 1980 was 18.6, in 1970, 16.9. Now it is closer to 25 than 20. It is definitely going up. People are living longer and that is where the growth comes from.

Well, hopefully this rising median age will pull the median mental age up to at least 15.  That would be nice.

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

in 2010 census the pop from 0 to 14 was 30,717,524

the working age 15 to 64 was 57,374,256

the over 64 was 4,004,125

so if we add  two together    we get 61, 378,381..... lets divide that number by the pop of 0 to 14

that comes to 1.998155222406598.... lets round that up and call it 2

so a thrid of the population of this country is ummmmm  under the age of 15?   yes

http://www.nscb.gov.ph/beyondthenumbers/2012/11162012_jrga_popn.asp

or is my math not that good.....   median age is not a really great way of saying that... look at the facts and figures of the census        says to me the country is 33 % under the age of 15 to me   

being that 61 million are between 15 and up and 30.7 million are 14 and down.... there is a huge gap between the two numbers......   also since ( and I am not filipino bashing just being honest) 1 in every 3 filipino's then are under the age of 14... in my small mind it does seem to be the teenagers already outnumber every other age group comparatively.... or the median age wouldnt be as low as it is.

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 1

tomaw

and possibly a well funded guy! with my limited resources i would break into a cold sweat if i had to take a bunch of females shopping :)

......... My American brother-inlaw and I plan on living at least 2 hours away from our wives friends and extended family. The imediate family I have no problems with.
  • Like 1

Headshot

......... My American brother-inlaw and I plan on living at least 2 hours away from our wives friends and extended family. The imediate family I have no problems with.

That is definitely a good plan. Where do the friends and relatives live?

Salty Dog

No one mentioned to look out for the giant bats here.

palawan-philippines-super-fruit-bat-01.jpgtumblr_mdm7hc3KAi1rkr7v4o1_500.jpgtumblr_m355kbKIuF1qalacuo1_1280.jpg

SomeRandomGuy

ha   its lami?

• Like 1

Baywak

Andrew Zimmern's having an orgasm.

• Like 1

BossHog

just add sugar

hyaku

Stand for the anthem? My departed uncle was a grenadier guard who did time on guard at Windsor Castle. If the Queen came on TV at home we all used to have to stand!

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

Ive watched a great deal of filipino's not stand for their anthem and it does not seem to be such a big deal to them.... maybe this whole national pride thing is starting to finally skip generations and we can just go on with our lives instead of having to stand for music like it is some sort of big deal.

U know what I am pretty sure life used to be really simple once upon a time having to stand for a song out of respect just seems stupid and horrible to me.

I refuse to be a slave to the masses... how can we be individuals if we all do whatever everyone else is doing.

I am anti nationalistic at heart as it just begets small mindedness....today watching the national anthem only about 80% of people stood and they were mainly the older generation.... maybe out of respect? or out of brain washing i think would be more likely...

How can the younger generation change the world and make it a better place if the things that are always done have to be done because that is how we always did them>?