Not-often-mentioned dangers and things to watch out

mikewright

maybe but if the story was early 90s as suggested the story is even older than the Internet. so probably needs a much fine radar

Maybe, but the Barlow and Chambers case was even earlier, in the '80s, and there are hundreds of thousands of entries about that.

OK, so here's the offer.  A free pint of Guinness to the first person who can give me proof that this story of a Westerner sentenced to death in the Philippines for the abuse of a 12 year old child is true.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• udonthani

• jtmwatchbiz

• tambok

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not often mentioned dangers and things to watch out for in the Philippines   1) Giant cockroaches 2) Rats 3) Snakes 4) Loud neighbors 5) Loud chickens 6) Loud dogs 7) Loud dogs with fleas, rab

These dangers rarely if ever get mentioned anywhere so I must warn people here about them. I am not a lawyer so this is based on hearsay - nothing below is legal advice. Here we go: 1) In the Philipp

well to me and quite a few other readers it appears to be mostly "heresay" as you yourself stated. everything you posted is simply rehashed stuff that's been posted ad-nausea...no revelations and to b

Posted Images

BossHog

One hazard you rarely hear talked about is liver flukes.

Lots of the old boys become host to these parasitic tapeworms.

Usual cause is from drinking copious amounts of tuba over an extended period.

I'd say anything over a gallon jug a day might be cause for concern.

It's certainly a good tasty budget option @50 pesos a gallon but it just might catch up with you one day!

• Like 2
Half Baked

One hazard you rarely hear talked about is liver flukes.

Lots of the old boys become host to these parasitic tapeworms.

Usual cause is from drinking copious amounts of tuba over an extended period.

I'd say anything over a gallon jug a day might be cause for concern.

It's certainly a good tasty budget option @50 pesos a gallon but it just might catch up with you one day!

Again... I just made the cut!  ;)

• Like 1
BossHog

On a somewhat related note:

We often see young backpacker types walking barefoot down the road where the dogs all crap and there's broken glass here and there.

Fine on the beach I guess and good for their facebook snaphots but not on a road, even if it has a sandy base.

I yell at kids I know to put their damned slippers on but would feel odd reprimanding an adult on holiday.

By the way I'm getting good at the "throw-your-slipper" tag game but we play on a bermuda grass lawn.

InternetTough

The OP's list seems overly dramatic to me. I read it and for a time forgot my own less dramatic experiences here over the last two years. Very alarming! Then I calmed down and began to breath normally again. 

Another hazard of living in the Philippines: Believing  every alarming thing you read about it on this forum and then getting a heart attack over it!

Edited by InternetTough
  • Like 4
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I am amazed at the often reported stories on TV about some politician or someone famous suing someone for slander, even if what the person says is 100% true. It's usually something really silly (well to me) that wouldn't even get a glance in the USA.

JOKE TO FOLLOW: SENATE SLANDER

A member of the United States Senate, known for his hot temper and acid tongue, exploded one day in mid-session and began to shout, "Half of this Senate is made up of cowards and corrupt politicians!"
All the other Senators demanded that the angry member withdraw his statement, or be removed from the remainder of the session.
After a long pause, the angry member acquiesced. "OK," he said, "I withdraw what I said. Half of this Senate is NOT made up of cowards and corrupt politicians!"
Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 7
jtmwatchbiz

Its better to read some of this SO CALLED PARANOID xxxxx than put your head in the sand

ok ed, but since you quoted me i will say that i hardly have my head in the sand, and i'm not some tourist or resident that leads a sheltered life of shopping, entertaining oneself and generally able to avoid people, places and situations that one may find unappealing. quite the contrary, i'm out 7 days a week along with most nites and all over the city as i'm a working man and i can't pick and choose who i'm in the mood to see or where i will go. if there is a deal i must go. i've been doing this for almost a decade...boots on the ground, and while i can't say i've seen everything, i've seen alot, and i do feel qualified to say that this city, the hazards and the local population are no where near as dangerous as the OP's type of post suggests.  

• Like 7
JamesMusslewhite

well to me and quite a few other readers it appears to be mostly "heresay" as you yourself stated. everything you posted is simply rehashed stuff that's been posted ad-nausea...no revelations and to be honest all this anti-filipino stuff is getting rather tiresome. while i'm hardly wearing rose colored glasses, i would add that i have been living here just as long as most other members and have not felt any more threatened, persecuted nor singled out and victimized than back in my home country. 

to me most of these "warning" posts are just lame attempts to distinguish the author as some kind of expert, when in reality they come off as paranoid bores.  

What I really get tired of hearing from the locals is how I do not act like other foreigners. I have to ask, :"Why not?". How hard is it to just treat the locals the same as you want to be treated?

• Like 5

One hazard you rarely hear talked about is liver flukes. Lots of the old boys become host to these parasitic tapeworms. Usual cause is from drinking copious amounts of tuba over an extended period.

If tuba only feeds the worms then obviously they need Tanduay Rhum to kill them.... :biggrin_01:

miles-high

Mocking at the foreign culture may be fun to some people but why don’t we just look at our own backyards…

1) In the US, yelling at a person in public is considered a serious offense. You can get killed in most places including Detroit.

2) Freedom of speech is iffy. Some people get away with it, some need to flee to Russia.

3) Some guys who sell cigarettes and chewing gum can "foist" marijuana on you (I don’t smoke) but have you watched the “Beverly Hills Cop” movie?.

4) Some girls who work in bars or do cyber online lie about their age (that’s where the word “jail bait” comes from, none other than the US)

5) Do not shake hands with strange kids. (I would never do that anywhere in the world, especially in Detroit or Southside of Chicago…)

5a) Giving money to beggars is somewhat risky in Detroit and keep walking. Do not yell at them. I don't know about giving food. They could sue you for food poisoning; ambulance chasers are all over Detroit.

5b) It’s not always safe to live in gated communities and sometimes there's less danger if you live within the inner city Detroit (maybe).

6) The "Get out of my office, you're fired!" can get you killed. Going postal? Remember Royal Oak (Detroit suburb)? It’s the same all over the world.

7) There's no privacy when it comes to becoming a suspect. TV crews and newspapers will swoop on you, and your face will be on the news and in press with your name and all. Even if you have not been convicted, and falsely accused. The whole country will know you. Yes, CNN would be on your doorsteps in no time…

• Like 3
Headshot

If tuba only feeds the worms then obviously they need Tanduay Rhum to kill them.... :biggrin_01:

If you are drinking that much Tuba, liver flukes are the least of your liver's worries. I would say that sclerosis of the liver will kill you long before the flukes do. However, if liver flukes are actually common here, you are more likely to get them from swimming or bathing in streams or rivers, or from drinking untreated, unfiltered water than you are from tuba. Of course, if you are using untreated water in the production of tuba, then you are basically just drinking the water. Liver flukes will literally eat your liver until it is nonfunctional. Then you die.

Mocking at the foreign culture may be fun to some people but why don’t we just look at our own backyards…

...omes to becoming a suspect. TV crews and newspapers will swoop on you, and your face will be on the news and in press with your name and all. Even if you have not been convicted, and falsely accused. The whole country will know you. Yes, CNN would be on your doorsteps in no time…

Et tu quoque. I did not post this to "mock" any culture.  Where is there a talk of "culture"? Where is mocking?

I was warning people about possible legal dangers so that they would keep those in mind and act/not act accordingly. I guess a native Detroiter is then well equipped to deal with the Philippines. I am not from there, so I am not.

And if this were a forum about the US and Detroit, then I guess, we would be posting a similar list. But this forum is not about living in Detroit.

I don't think any people reading this are anxious to make a retirement move to Michigan. And not everyone here is from the USA or Detroit or grew up there. Many people in the Phils are from Europe, Oz,UK, etc.

And America is another country with all kinds of weird laws, and the Philippines adopted and tweaked many US laws.

Thanks everyone for comments, reactions and refutations. Watch TV patrol and Inbestigador- they are in Tagalog- I understand Tagalog and every so often there is a story about another porener  getting caught for crazy things like that or accused of similar things. When people watch those, there's another public reaction against poreners and the police are on guard and on the prowl. There are alread stickers in taxis asking the public to report pervs by text. ( again I do not remember what taxi and I am not here to post proof of every little thing I see. This is not a court of law.) You could be with your step kids or a God child and someone can accuse you of this and that.

If you don't understand the language, many things are hidden from you and you may be living in blissful obvlivion. Not so if you do. I do.

Once I was visiting a 22 year girl in Cebu and the neighbors came calling after I'd left and said that they had seen someone that looked like me on "Good Morning Bayan" who had been arrested for "white slavery". Of course it was not me, but we all look alike to them. One of the neighbors had a gun, too. And his brother said that I should be arrested and investigated. Just for visiting a girl and looking like some  bad "porener" on TV . 

And because he clearly had no analytical skills- how could I be there if that person had been arrested?-- and just acted emotionally, he was yelling at the girl and raised caine in the neighborhood.

This happened in 1999, Did I expect this to happen? No! Was I paranoid when I was visiting the girl? No! But in the Philippines all kinds of weird things are to be expected. Better not to visit the girl in the house but have a public meet up at Jolibee or something.

The anecdotal " never happened to me" argument is not acceptable. It's not good to take chances when you innocently do things which may be illegal and you never know who can try and trip you up.

Edited by tambok
  • Like 1

PS. When I was in Saudi Arabia, we had an orientation of the what to do and what not to do variety. There were little things such as: do not associate with the locals or go to their houses, do not discuss Israel, ME politics, religion, etc. It does not mean people did not do it. But if they did, they were taking a chance. Many got away with it. Others prefered to err on the side of caution and keep to themselves.

When GIs were stationed  in the Philippines, a similar orientation would often be given. About estafa, about public slander laws, about lending money, about girls who get to the US after marriage and disappear at the airport, etc. Does it mean that it happens every day to everybody? No. Does it mean you have to develop paranoia, stay in you room and tremble with fear? No. Does it mean that you have to be watchful, mindful and extra cautious when you see situations similar to the above which carry a risk and may lead to highly unpleasant consequences? Yes.

The Philippine gov't is already taking steps to protect visitors, and there's tourist police in many places. For example, they took steps to get rid of trannies who were harassing visitors in Boracay and Angeles City. Many police will take your side if someone tries to set you up. But it is not enough, and more should be done. In the meantime you've gotta keep your eye peeled.

The Philippines has its bright side and its dark side. The bright side we all know about and we all love. But somone needs to let people know about the dark side, too because nothing is written about it in tourist brochures. Even if the chance of something like this happening is small, you still need to know about it.

Edited by tambok
  • Like 2

I think you need to browse the rest of the forum before posting. I don't see anything you have mentioned that has not been discussed at some time or other. But thanks anyway. It certainly is the ideal post to read for someone that doesn't want to come. All sounds bit likes Filipino warning "poreners".

• Like 1

1) In the US, yelling at a person in public is considered a serious offense. You can get killed in most places including Detroit.

2) Freedom of speech is iffy. Some people get away with it, some need to flee to Russia.

3) Some guys who sell cigarettes and chewing gum can "foist" marijuana on you (I don’t smoke) but have you watched the “Beverly Hills Cop” movie?.

4) Some girls who work in bars or do cyber online lie about their age (that’s where the word “jail bait” comes from, none other than the US)

5) Do not shake hands with strange kids. (I would never do that anywhere in the world, especially in Detroit or Southside of Chicago…)

5a) Giving money to beggars is somewhat risky in Detroit and keep walking. Do not yell at them. I don't know about giving food. They could sue you for food poisoning; ambulance chasers are all over Detroit.

5b) It’s not always safe to live in gated communities and sometimes there's less danger if you live within the inner city Detroit (maybe).

6) The "Get out of my office, you're fired!" can get you killed. Going postal? Remember Royal Oak (Detroit suburb)? It’s the same all over the world.

7) There's no privacy when it comes to becoming a suspect. TV crews and newspapers will swoop on you, and your face will be on the news and in press with your name and all. Even if you have not been convicted, and falsely accused. The whole country will know you. Yes, CNN would be on your doorsteps in no time…

your love of Detroit is clearly showing