Sign in to follow this  
tambok

Not-often-mentioned dangers and things to watch out

tambok

I agree with what you say. But add to " tourists" new people and new retirees- the ones who came to settle or the ones who are beginning a long love affair with the country and begin to come back again and again. Some get online to set up a date with a girl on Date in Asia. Some also give money to beggars. Some starts going through their inevitable culture shock, get upset and shout at natives when these make their usual frequent mistakes. Some dream of becoming philanthopists. So, let them be warned.

Also, many of these are location dependent and situational. There's no hard and fast probablity that this and that will happen. Having said that, I believe it to be fair that I warn people about things that have happened so that at least they understand that there is a higher possibility of this happening to them here than in Podunk Wisconsin.

If this post prevents a tragedy like one of the above from happening to even one person who is reading this, then it is already something.

I find some of the comments in the OPs post very strange. The locals around here shout at each other in daily conversation. Even if they are a meter away from each other they are loud enough for the whole barangay to hear. Being insensitive enough to use speakers or mikes any any hour regardless of how it might iconvenience someone else is a national pastime. As for giving money that last boy I refused outside Robinson's waved 1000 me and told me to F off.

Laws are often not enforced with the poor locals, but poreners are not locals and can be easily framed and fall victim to some of the things above. Also, there's shouting because one did not hear what the person said and there's angry rebuking of someone for having made a mistake or done something wrong. And a porinar may or may not get away with that.

I've known two people who have been in jail already- one for shouting at his GF- she went an lodged a complaint about him, one allegedly shouting and fighting with his wife- same thing. Anecdotal, I know. But you should still know about this so that you be warned and that this possibility is eliminated/reduced.

Edited by tambok

KID

When did become illegal to give the beggar kids money or candy ?

tambok
When did become illegal to give the beggar kids money or candy ?

This I really and truly do not know but I have a friend who is a lawyer and he told me it was. I've heard that many times from other people. The actual year of the passing of the law is unknown to me. But what is meant is street beggars, not kids whom you know, like your friends' kids and/or yor god children. I have two God-kids and I buy them stuff all the time.

PS. Another common danger.

Some ladies already have BFs and even legal husbands but these have no moneeeeeey!  Some are useless womanizers and drunkards. Frustrated, these ladies start looking for a porinar because a porinar has a lot of money and/or they want to start philandering because the BF is philadering. They start dating the porinar and even sleeping with him. Then they take money and give it to the BF and/or husband. A fat middle aged porinar with money and a young Pinoy stallion with no money but a hard asset that keeps on pounding. Lie to both- get the best of bothe worlds.

If the BF finds out, he will blame you and cause you GBH including death since in this culture there's little impulse control and no regard for consequences.  If that is a husband, you are now, along with the wife guilty of adultery- a capital offense. You're looking at 10-14 years in the slammer. And "I didn't know" will not get you out of it.

This happened to me ( not the slammer and not adultery)  in Thailand and also twice in the Philippines ( but these were BFs) . One lady had just given birth to a child and one was getting pregnant and it was not mine. They were both complaining of bloating and stomach aches ( I could imagine) Both were hiding it to a point. I was lucky to find out in time to block them out of my life and disappear.

Edited by tambok
  • Like 1

roaddog

So just what are you doing in the Philippines. YOU are one paranoid dude.

Of coarse you want to be an ass and act the ass you go to jail. Just like you will in your home country.

You forgot to mention that all foreiners are perverts, scammers or worse.

• Like 1

Denis

and have not felt any more threatened, persecuted nor singled out and victimized than back in my home country.

Totally agree.....

Situational awareness is not just something to be aware of in the Philippines!

• Like 2

mikewright

On Brit who was old was framed like that. The neighbor wanted to shake him down and sent in a 12 year old daughter to sweep his room. She then accused him of molestation and he was arrested, tried and sentenced to death. A lawyer from Australia flew in and defended him and got him acquitted.

What is the name of the Brit who was was sentenced to death for molesting a 12 year old?  Link, please.

Headshot

The death penalty was eliminated in the Philippines several years ago, so this story (if even true) is quite old. Also (just for Tambok), if there is no death penalty, there is no capital punishment (which is the name for the death penalty). A capital offense is one that can get you the death penalty. Adultery is not, nor ever was, a capital offense in the Philippines. If you go to Saudi Arabia, then it can be a capital offense...but not here in the Philippines (at least not within the legal system...there is no telling what the girl's family might do).

The OP is the most paranoid list I have seen in the forums in quite a while. Most of it is just plain rubbish. For the most part, it is just a bunch of stories that have been passed down from who knows how long ago that get more embellished every time they are retold. There are half-truths in most of the stories, which serve to make them more believable.

For instance, is it illegal to give money to beggars here? It depends on where you are. Some cities have those ordinances and others don't. Is it illegal to beg? Again...yes and no. Has this ordinance ever been enforced? Yes, but it is enforced very, very rarely. It certainly isn't something to worry about. The same is true about many of these stories. There is a grain of truth, but the risk is very low.

The exception, I would say, is in being alone with an unrelated minor...under ANY circumstances...or even being in an intimate setting (such as in a hotel room) with a minor while someone else is present. However, the danger here is not that the police will shake you down. The danger is that you may go to prison. The step-father thing is hogwash...provided you are actually married to the mother. If the mother is just a GF, then you are treading on thin ice.

Personally, I like Knowdafish's list better than the list in the OP. There really are quite a few things on that list you should watch out for. There isn't anything on the list to make somebody want to avoid the Philippines, but I don't think that was Knowdafish's intention. They are just things you should know about and avoid, if possible.

• Like 7

hyaku

Anyway Tambok thanks for the heads up. The most dangerous thing I did today was nearly slipping in the chicken shit when I collected the eggs.

The locals are far more bothered about gossiping, between themselves, ripping each other off and stabbing each other to bother about me.

• Like 1

mikewright
The death penalty was eliminated in the Philippines several years ago, so this story (if even true) is quite old.

I know the OP qualifies his post by saying that he is not a lawyer and that his post is based on hearsay, which is self-evident, but still, the tone of the post suggests we are dealing with fact and not some figment of imagination.

The example given about the Brit who was sentenced to death by a Philippine Court for molesting a 12 year old child is presented as if it were fact. If this had really happened, it would have been plastered all over the newspapers, both in the Philippines and abroad.  What is unfortunate is that some naive and gullible people read stories such as these, and because it was “on the internet”, believe it to be fact.

Perhaps the warning should be to people not to believe everything they read in the internet. It would be a shame if people were put off visiting the Philippines because of posts such as these.

• Like 1

tambok

None of those things happened to me, and I welcome the refutations. I do hope they are rare. But people talk about those and tell me the horror stories.

I have no links about the Brit. I saw that book about 10 years ago. And there was a similar story on TV.

And maybe I am being paranoid but I just wanted to share my concerns. And if they are exaggerated,well, then so much better.

Bill H

I dunno about the laws on kids, except they are not well enforced and I've heard favor the kids.  I was attacked in the Fuente years ago by a gang of beger kids trying to take my money after visiting an ATM.  I ended up beating them off with a rolled up newspaper while making my way to an armored car's shotgun toting guard.  I did not get in any trouble, and in fact several people offered me refuge from the kids after the guard with the shotgun pointed it at the kids to shoo them off.  Some people who saw all this were yelling at the kids, no one seemed mad at me at all.  The police were not called and that was the end of it.

I'm in my fourth year now.  I don't think the OP has been here very long and I've not experienced any problems with the locals.  It always pays to be aware and polite, but I also stand my ground when I think it's the right thing to do.  A taxi driver tried to rip me off at the South Bus terminal yesterday and I refused his demand.  He had a tizzy fit, but I said no.  Even the Porters we're telling the guy he was out of line.  He complained to the conductor when I got on a bus and the conductor laughed at him.  So it's not nearly as bad as the poster made it out to be.  That said, you need to be aware and polite.  I try to be both, but I'm not going to be a door mat to anyone.

• Like 4

ed villas
to me most of these "warning" posts are just lame attempts to distinguish the author as some kind of expert, when in reality they come off as paranoid bores.

Its better to read some of this SO CALLED PARANOID xxxxx than put your head in the sand and pretend it doesbt 

happen.

when we walk out of house (we are a POSSIBLE TARGET) every morning their is a chance however slight that this "XXXX" can happen

yes i agree that it is "paranoid" bore too. BUT sometimes we (at least I) need to read this to be refreshed in WHAT XXXX

can happen

There was a book' Sentenced to Death" and it was at the National Book store on sale several years ago.  The first case was described in it. The second- happened to a friend of a friend.

REGARDING this "death"sentence for those that are FOB(fresh off the boat/plane =under 20yrs or less)

their was a CASE,

in involved an European early 1990's   , in Baguio, he was convicted of a Serious offense regrading a child.

they said this child was under 12yo  ,

This case went to the Supreme court of the Philippines. late 1990's or early 2000

since they didnt have a TRUE Date of birth of this (child) Victim and the case was ??(cant recall exact details) reversed.meaning the DEATH PENALTY was removed, again its been nearly 10plus yrs since I last read about this case

and yes i believe he had a Foreigner attorney working on his case(as with native/Filipino attorneys too) 

Edited by ed villas
  • Like 5

mikewright

REGARDING this "death"sentence for those that are FOB(fresh of the boat =under 20yrs or less)

their was a CASE,

in involved an European early 1990's   , in Baguio, he was convicted of a Serious offense regrading a child.

they said this child was under 12yo  , This case went to the Supreme court of the Philippines. late 1990's or early 2000

since they didnt have a TRUE Date of birth of this (child) Victim and the case was ??(cant recall exact details) reversed.meaning the DEATH PENALTY was removed, again its been nearly 10plus yrs since I last read about this case

and yes i believe he had a Foreigner attorney working on his case(as with native/Filipino attorneys too) 

OK, this should be very easy to verify. A Westerner sentenced to death in the Philippines would have made world headlines. And again when it was reversed. We all know how much attention is given in the press when a Westerner commits a crime in the Philippines, the coverage on this would have been massive. According to the above posts there has been a book and a TV program about the matter.

So what was the person's name? Anyone?

sperry

OK, this should be very easy to verify. A Westerner sentenced to death in the Philippines would have made world headlines. And again when it was reversed. We all know how much attention is given in the press when a Westerner commits a crime in the Philippines, the coverage on this would have been massive. According to the above posts there has been a book and a TV program about the matter.

So what was the person's name? Anyone?

maybe but if the story was early 90s as suggested earlierthe story is even older than the Internet.  so probably needs a much fine radar.

But having siad that, the key point of the OP is to read betwen the lines.

Laws in this country are written with a broad brush which does mean that just about everybody breaks the law sometime. And this allows the law to be selectivley applied which can be unfortunate to say the least in some cases. 

But as a general rule in the Philippines if you act nice with the world, the world will act nice with you. Same as anywhere else.

Edited by sperry
  • Like 1