Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Monetization of Tapatalk.

Paul

I received this email today, from Tapatalk:

Monetization for Forum Owners – Tapatalk to begin testing ad formats

tapatalk-logo.png

Dear Forum Owners,

We are excited to announce that Tapatalk is going to begin testing a free version of Tapatalk and in-app ads as a way to help you make money from mobile traffic.

Moving from a paid app to a free app

We recently started to offer the Tapatalk app for free for iOS devices. Since we began to test the free version, we are very happy to report a significant increase in downloads.

Testing ad formats

In the next few days, we will begin to test ad formats on Tapatalk. The ad formats will be integrated within topics, and there will be three formats; banner ads, app installs, and “Promoted Topics” (similar to Facebook’s Sponsored Stories).

During this initial phase, we will be testing technical integrations. The frequency of ads will be very low, and many of your users may never see an ad.

You can view screen shots of the ad formats in the Tapatalk Engagement and Monetization support forums.

After the test

We expect the test phase to run 30-90 days. At the end of test, we will have a good understanding of the performance of the various ad formats. We will also determine the revenue model, and we will retroactively share the ad revenue from the test period with you.

We are excited about helping you earn money from users accessing your forum through Tapatalk. Over the next few weeks, we will provide you updates on the test and will monitor and respond to feedback on the Tapatalk Engagement and Monetization support forum.

If you prefer that your Forum not participate in the pilot, please email me at [email protected]

Eric Sternbach
Head of Community Monetization
Tapatalk  

Just thought I would let you folks know. 

thebob

I used to use tapatalk a few years ago, but gave it up, I think before LinC even enabled it. LinC is perfectly legible on my iPhone 3GS.

Web designers should account for mobile users, and then apps like Tapatalk wouldn't be necessary.

Paul

Web designers should account for mobile users, and then apps like Tapatalk wouldn't be necessary.

There is a mobile skin available for viewers or IPB forum software, already. Has been for a very long time.

Monsoon

One thing I noticed about the mobile skin is it looks the same in and out of the hidden forums. In fact, it looks like the hidden forums skin from the desktop site when in the non-hidden forums, 

Paul

I guess I could look around for a different "Hidden Forums" specific skin. I hadn't really thought much about that. I will do a comparison of them, tonight. 

T.S.

I used to use tapatalk a few years ago, but gave it up, I think before LinC even enabled it. LinC is perfectly legible on my iPhone 3GS.

Many web designers do account for mobile users, but I prefer tapatalk over the mobile skin on most forums.

It is nice to have the option of using either one.

• Like 1

Paul

It is nice to have the option of using either one.

You know, we did that JUST for you, right? 

Irenicus

I still swear by IPB Buddy for iOS. Simple and a little banner ad on bottom that I just actually noticed. doh.

ThomsonJr

I just surf to the site URL and it gives me the option for either the "mobile" version or "full" version. Works great for me on my Android phone, don't use Tapatalk.

• Like 1

T.S.

I still swear by IPB Buddy for iOS. Simple and a little banner ad on bottom that I just actually noticed. doh.

I have not tried that app, but the reviews which are mostly 1 star say that it just loads the same mobile version of the site that Safari loads... but puts it own ad across the bottom.

Edited by T.S.

T.S.

I have not tried that app, but the reviews which are mostly 1 star say that it just loads the same mobile version of the site that Safari loads... but puts it own ad across the bottom.

I decided to try it out...

Safari...

7ZLaCoE.jpg

IPB Buddy...

Mid2oGc.jpg

afmayer

I received this email today, from Tapatalk:

Just thought I would let you folks know. 

Damn... and I just spent $2.99 on Tapatalk while I was in Costa Rica getting dental work done... The price I pay for my LinC addiction...

Wrye83

I'm getting a must update and then taken to Google play where i must pay for the update. Pretty sure I already paid for the app. Checking my transactions now, if I'm right I'll have a bit of a problem with tapatalk. Can't load pictures from the browser. This new reply option field is difficult on my tablet. Auto text and deleting lines causes the cursor to jump up in the previous written words. Quite annoying. 

Wrye83

I was wrong (surprise, surprise). I didn't pay before. Guess I'll drop the 3 bucks now. (I'll be pretty ticked off if there are ads as mentioned in the email to Paul.) 

Paul

Damn... and I just spent $2.99 on Tapatalk while I was in Costa Rica getting dental work done... The price I pay for my LinC addiction...

By the way, you need to make another donation. This time, only $10, $20, $100, $1,000 USD. Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket. 

I was wrong (surprise, surprise). I didn't pay before. Guess I'll drop the 3 bucks now. (I'll be pretty ticked off if there are ads as mentioned in the email to Paul.) 

I recon that is why they are offering it for free, now, to justify ads? Not sure, since I do not use anything but a laptop or desktop computer to get online. 

Honestly, the only reason I installed Tapatalk, was at the request of members - on both forums. So, just tryin' to give 'em what they want, I guess.