A Country of Mistresses, Paramours, and Bastards

Salty Dog

Is there really a Filipino word for bastard?

It's a word I find particularly offensive, since it applies to children born out of wedlock - something they have no control over, giving them a condemnation out of all proportion.

When somebody uses the word as an insult, of course it doesn't relate to the receivers parents relationship, it simply means a nasty individual. A disparity that is certainly not (necessarily) reflective of that persons father and mother.

..... Yes, calling a person that has a different meaning than the original definition. In the same sense when a person angrily says ''f*** you'' they don't mean for the person to have an erotic time having intercourse. LOL !!!
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• KID

• tomaw

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is his right as it is for all members.  I don't think any of us would post something we disagree with unless to see if other have the same disagreement.

Believe it or not, this showed up on Flipboard a few months ago. I think it was written by a Filipino as it is written in the first person..    

One affect of the no divorce rule is that more couples are choosing to shack up together without the legal entanglements of marriage.  Rather than allow divorce, why not abolish marriage?  At least in

This discussion leads to the one and only conclusion – don’t get married in the Philippines, get married in your own country!

K1 is the only way to go (for Americans), never even think about getting married in the Philippines, unless your religious belief happens to coincide with the prevailing marital laws of the Philippines…

.... I agree with you but for specific reasons. I brought my wife to the US on a Fiance Visa. Her sister got married in the Philippines and just got here recently on a Spousal Visa. The Spousal Visa takes longer and cost more money than the Fiance Visa.

.... According to my wife the Philippine government doesn't allow divorce but even after 10 years of marriage you can get an annulment. Exactly what the difference is, I haven't got a clue.

For most it means finding and paying doctors to testi-lie that what would be cause for divorce in places without no-fault was caused by a preexisting condition. While the judges pretend they are using science for the public good. And that is the extra cost of divorces in most other places. Secondarily if one party does not want an annulment the legal prejudice taken is to save the marriage. Yet after the court decides the government then checks to make sure the separated couple did not plan together to make the annulment as effortless as possible.

However since nobody in the Philippines seems to care if you are with someone besides the "legal spouse" unless you are a VIP or have a foreigner wishing to petition you most don't worry about paying for and lying in court about a preexisting condition.

Which brings us to the original article

All these options are so convoluted – c’mon – who the hay are we kidding when we declare that say Kris Aquino and James Yap’s marriage were invalid ab initio – or that they were psychologically incapacitated to enter into marriage – and yet, the grant of nullity or annulment allows two certified psychologically incapacitated people to remarry.

The never prosecuted adulterous Queen of All Media Kris Aquino and James Yap the pro ball player father probably hired to be the father of her second, trophy child, the first being disabled, did not go the testi-lie route for their annulment. They used the protect the church religious authority clause. Basically while a judge or mayor could have performed a civil ceremony one of those did not. because afterwards Yap and Aquino proved that they were initially baptized in the Catholic Church with no proof of becoming Protestant that only a Catholic Priest, no Protestant or other clergyman had legal authority in the Philippines to conduct the marriage ceremony.

Headshot

i believe he put the quotation box around the article 

That is correct...and Salty PMed me to thank me for doing it.

Tomaw, fixing formatting issues like this is part of what mods do here. It sometimes confuses some of our members and arguments ensue because quotes aren't put into a quote box. Therefore, I go in and put a quote box around the quote so nobody hammers another member for using a quote, but not identifying it as such. Some of our members are very quick to argue with the OP...when in fact, the quoted information may not be their view at all...but was mistaken as their view because a quote box wasn't used.

Edited by Headshot

I did not write this. I just cut and pasted it. Found it interesting. Do I agree? I've always thought the reason they don't have divorce is to protect the fat cats, not the common people. I believe some politicians don't give a rat's ass about any one's interest other than their own. As for the church, I believe it is also mostly political at it's upper levels.

When it comes to individual beliefs. That's between you and your God. If you want the church to guide you, then that should be your choice. Most of us don't get to choose our religion. It was chosen for us before we could even walk or talk. Very few of us ever chose to change. By the time we are old enough to understand, we have already been indoctrinated.

That is not the experience in places where there is real religious freedom and choices. In America the largest denomination could be called ex Catholics. As people change religious affiliation in adulthood at about the same rate they change the til death they do part spouses.

"Easy divorce" reduces out-of-wedlock births?! 

USA Out-of-Wedlock Births By Race, 2010

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_01.pdf

Non-Hispanic Blacks...............................73%

American Indians & Native Alaskans....66%

Hispanics.................................................53%

Non-Hispanic Whites.............................29%

Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders...17%

Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

The question becomes is that because some states made divorce easier, no fault versus finding a private investigator to have a legal cause. Or my theory becomes government stepped in to become the financial daddy and the society left the actual father, and then mothers off the hook. Now decades later they are trying to force any man who lives with a single mother to pay for the child care burden that government assumed for itself 50 years ago.

For all I have seen of Filipino culture it is better culturally to be a single mother then a never married childless thirty something unless she is a Nun or she has cut her hair and tattooed up like the local lesbian population like to do.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

For all I have seen of Filipino culture it is better culturally to be a single mother then a never married childless thirty something unless she is a Nun or she has cut her hair and tattooed up like the local lesbian population like to do.

Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? By the way I just got married last week and my wife is an old maid by many people's standards here. She is 32 years old and childless. No tattoos though and definitely not a nun, or for that matter even a Catholic.

• Like 2

For all I have seen of Filipino culture it is better culturally to be a single mother then a never married childless thirty something unless she is a Nun or she has cut her hair and tattooed up like the local lesbian population like to do

Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? By the way I just got married last week and my wife is an old maid by many people's standards here. She is 32 years old and childless. No tattoos though and definitely not a nun, or for that matter even a Catholic.

It is the reason perhaps that caused the initial article which was posted? Good or bad judgement I can't make the unique marriage and family law of the Philippines just means that a lot of birth certificates will be stamped illegitimate. A generation before they would just lie and list the parents as married. Now as records are being computerized many "single" people are finding out that they are married or bigamist because back in the day the intake nurse or baptizing Priest would mark married when nobody was.

By the way I just got married last week ...

Congratulations -- best wishes to both of you.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)

congrats

For all I have seen of Filipino culture it is better culturally to be a single mother then a never married childless thirty something unless she is a Nun or she has cut her hair and tattooed up like the local lesbian population like to do

I am thinking with increasing acceptance of flamboyantly gay men and butch lesbians there is increasing pressure on women to have a man and children, already married or not, as many old maids of older generations where in the closet homosexuals.

Edited by taiko