A Country of Mistresses, Paramours, and Bastards

Salty Dog

Skywalker

Is there really a Filipino word for bastard?

It's a word I find particularly offensive, since it applies to children born out of wedlock - something they have no control over, giving them a condemnation out of all proportion.

When somebody uses the word as an insult, of course it doesn't relate to the receivers parents relationship, it simply means a nasty individual.  A disparity that is certainly not (necessarily) reflective of that persons father and mother.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• KID

• tomaw

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is his right as it is for all members.  I don't think any of us would post something we disagree with unless to see if other have the same disagreement.

Believe it or not, this showed up on Flipboard a few months ago. I think it was written by a Filipino as it is written in the first person..    

One affect of the no divorce rule is that more couples are choosing to shack up together without the legal entanglements of marriage.  Rather than allow divorce, why not abolish marriage?  At least in

Davaoeno

Guess who will prevail in the land of the blind.

those who manufacture canes ??

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

anak sa labas

I've always thought the reason they don't have divorce is to protect the fat cats, not the common people.

I did a post on my blog a few months ago about divorce in the Philippines. It's mostly about the hypocrisy of pretending that they don't have divorce here, when in fact they do. It's just that they call it 'annulment' and only rich people are allowed to do it (because of the cost).

The costs are so outrageously high that, in addition to the Church, there's also a powerful lobby of lawyers and psychologists (you have to bribe a psychologist as part of the process) who don't want any changes.

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

The USA has had "easy divorce" since the 1960's. Let's see how that's working out:

Almost Half of First Babies in U.S. Born to Unwed Mothers

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57574599/almost-half-of-first-babies-in-u.s-born-to-unwed-mothers/

The average age of marriage is increasing to 26.5 years old for women and 28.7 years old for men. That's up from ages 23 and 26 in 1990, respectively. But, the median age of first birth for a woman is now 25.7 -- meaning that about 48 percent of first births [are] happening outside of wedlock.

Kabisay-an gid

"Easy divorce" reduces out-of-wedlock births?! 

USA Out-of-Wedlock Births By Race, 2010

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_01.pdf

Non-Hispanic Blacks...............................73%

American Indians & Native Alaskans....66%

Hispanics.................................................53%

Non-Hispanic Whites.............................29%

Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders...17%

Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

It's a word I find particularly offensive, since it applies to children born out of wedlock - something they have no control over, giving them a condemnation out of all proportion.

When somebody uses the word as an insult, of course it doesn't relate to the receivers parents relationship, it simply means a nasty individual.  A disparity that is certainly not (necessarily) reflective of that persons father and mother.

I always thought the same thing, but they use it all the time on TV here and in the newspaper. Even when Chris Aquino got her what ever annulment, they kept saying how her son was now a bastard and she had to legally adopt him to make him legal. Which seemed strange since she is his biological mother. But since when does logic ever come into play here. In fact her first child was also born out of wedlock. She has had two children by two different men and never been married according to the courts and the church.

The USA has had "easy divorce" since the 1960's. Let's see how that's working out:

Seems to be working just fine----over 1/2 the people who get married use the option :)

• Like 2
Headshot

Rather than allow divorce, why not abolish marriage?  At least in a legal sense.  

That would certainly make getting a spousal visa to another country a bit problematic.

• Like 2

That would certainly make getting a spousal visa to another country a bit problematic.

Not really.  We are about to apply for a partner visa cos we been living in sin long enough to qualify.  The forms are the same as spouse visa but instead of providing a marriage cert, we just need to show we been living together for a couple of years.

• Like 1
miles-high

This discussion leads to the one and only conclusion – don’t get married in the Philippines, get married in your own country!

K1 is the only way to go (for Americans), never even think about getting married in the Philippines, unless your religious belief happens to coincide with the prevailing marital laws of the Philippines…

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

This discussion leads to the one and only conclusion – don’t get married in the Philippines, get married in your own country!

K1 is the only way to go (for Americans), never even think about getting married in the Philippines, unless your religious belief happens to coincide with the prevailing marital laws of the Philippines…

You can get divorced in the USA no problem, even if you got married in the Philippines. The problem is for the Filipina if they come back to the Philippines. They accept it here, but I think they still have to get a court order which takes time and money. But I would assume if you got divorced, you probably wouldn't care much about you x's problems if she moved back here.

• Like 1

you probably wouldn't care much about you x's problems if she moved back here.

I WISH she would--- I would even buy the plane tickets

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)

i think for many they could use the thread title as their tourism advertising tagline

Such only serve to cause a lot of pain and expense without providing any solid benefit, near as I can see.

The 13a visa??  I couldn't get one of those.. Thats not good!