Philippine Tribal Tattoo

HTM

Tattooing was practiced in The Philippines for hundreds of years before European contact. Filipino tribal tattoos symbolize rank and accomplishments and are thought to have magical powers.

post-2957-0-98853200-1380073689_thumb.jpg

Fang-Ud is the last tribal tattoo artist or mambabatok of Kalinga, a landlocked mountainous province in Northern Philipp

post-2957-0-86106700-1380073793_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

post-2957-0-94009700-1380076013_thumb.jpg

Kalinga bikking (chest tattoo), ca. 1900.
This chief, as evident by his complex markings, took many a head. He is fortified in a tattooed skin of centipede scales  (ufug).

Headed that way

That woman is Chinese I think. Her name might be Tu Hung To Lo

i like to get tribe tatoo but i only worry is it safe, can i get diseise?

All depends on who you use as an artist. I've seen one guy do traditional tattoo's here and he used clean 'needles'..

My friend though who got it, said it was an experience on it's own but wouldn't get another one cause it hurt like crazy (could be the position too, on the right side of his stomach) This guy already has multiple tattoos and still had to cry over it so I guess it's not that much fun to go through.

• Like 1

How about in the Muslim areas? I would guess it was more suppressed there then the later almost disappearance with the emergence of Spain

• 1 month later...

Personally I'd love to get a Filipino tribal tattoo .. whether that is old school method or using the newer tattoo guns........... my concern is finding somewhere safe -clean needles etc etc...

Go find a tattoo place in Makati or The Fort maybe? 

smokey

i remember years ago this guy got a huge tat.... i think it was suppose to be PRIMO but his had a e in it ... get spell  check before tat..

• Like 1