Blocked Win 7

OK, the old motherboard got zapped by lightning down the comms line (not power line).  A new stand-alone network card worked for a while but gradually I was losing all OS services and getting blue screens of death.  So I swapped board, installing a Gigabyte G41M-Combo, a slightly retrograde step but I was able to leverage my Intel Core Duo and my DDR2 memory.  The hardware installation was successful.

I reloaded my Win 7 and tried to activate it.  Microsoft reports that it has blocked my product key, yet this is the same key I have used for about three years (or more).  I'm sure Moses found it easier to get that water from the stone than it is for a customer to talk to Microsoft.  Here are some of the facts so far:

• My Win 7 was bought through Amazon from one of their third party vendors;
  • It is possible that my copy is a MSDN copy that has broken through the threshold number of activations;
  • Apparently when this happens Microsoft blocks the OS through the next set of Windows Updates. Is this why my OS was dying?  Is this why I found many files with a security setting of 'Deny Everyone?'
  • It could be that my copy is an OEM offering.  If so Microsoft ties the product key to the motherboard.  I have just changed my motherboard.

How may I get Microsoft's attention to tell me why my OS is blocked?

I then thought that I would upgrade to Win 8.  So I logged on to the Microsoft Store.  This does not work!  Using Microsoft Store with a Microsoft Browser on a machine running a Microsoft OS fails!  I spent a working life in Business Systems Analysis and if someone tried to implement such rubbish on my watch they would be sent away with a flea in their ear.

Anyone else had success or otherwise with Microsoft Store?

Any help, comments or suggestions would be more that appreciated.  Anyone seen a kosher copy of Win 7 Pro or Win 8 (Pro) for sale here in the PH?

Edited by GoHuk

Microsofts policy is

one os. one product key. one machine.

qhen the machine dies the product key dies with it. you can buy a new product key from microsoft.

They also know when same key is used on two machines and will deactivate one of them.

MattFromGA

They also know when same key is used on two machines and will deactivate one of them.

I doubt this is real.  I know they will block an install when the key has been used too many times, but I've never heard of a machine getting deactivated after it was installed fine.  I have MSDN and use my keys often and have never seen that issue.

Majorsco

Microsoft will block any installation after three to any of their products. Until three, they figure that would constitute legitimate changes. I have done this many times and installation #4 always tripped the limit. Many other software packages have the same limits.

Majorsco

Also, keep in mind madness is a developer license and has different limits. Regular production licenses have the limits.

OK, thanks for the interest but ...

The question is: how do I find out why I'm blocked and if possible how do I get activated?

Majorsco

All I can suggest is Microsoft support. However my experience is that they are not helpful unless you Areca developer paying for hold level support.

If you're game you can search the msdn database but it is not good for diagnosing problems. It is good for explaining a pointed question where you already have some info.

Years ago (win XP) there was a number i had to ring to active windows due to 3 or 4 re-installs as i had some hard drive issues and then some virus issues so had to do 3 or 4 installs over a 10 month period.

miles-high

♪♪ Silence is golden... ♪♪ don't talk "too much" to the MS boys/girls... non-disclosure or minimal disclosure is the key... 1) install Win7, 2) go to the activation page, 3) select manual activation (not through the Internet), 4) you will see the MS phone numbers to call, 5) using Skype or whatever you have, call and tell them you need to activate, 6) tell them that you reinstalled to a new HD or SSD, no need to say anything about MB, 7) insist it was working till yesterday... 8) no, you don't have any other computer... 9) reassure them you are the legit owner, and 10) he or she will start reading the activation code to you... that's all to it... tried many times and still work for me as recent as 3 months ago... :)

PS You cannot upgrade to Win8 until Win7 is activated...

Wow! I'm glad I'm a Mac user. OSX doesn't have a registration number. You can instal on multiple machines / drives.

I can boot any Mac with a portable drive with any of my instals on it.

MS is an expensive rip off. It sounds like they are holding your data to ransom.

Just instal Ubuntu and break the chain.

Edited by thebob

The question is: how do I find out why I'm blocked and if possible how do I get activated?

I had a series of crashes and re-installs early 2012 and triggered a lock out  from Microsoft.

I rang MS support and explained my situation and they issued a new activation key with no problems.

I believe the MS support office was Singapore and I cannot remember if I rang a local Philippine number to get there!

Anyone seen a kosher copy of Win 7 Pro or Win 8 (Pro) for sale here in the PH?

Gaisano Interpace, via the price list I received yesterday, are advertising limited stocks of all Windows 7 'flavors' and Win 8.

Edited by No Fixed Address

PS You cannot upgrade to Win8 until Win7 is activated

I understand however that Win 8.1 (due Oct 17) is a full install version and only a full install version - that is not an upgrade.