Surf's Up on Siargao

BossHog

jtmwatchbiz

hang ten while you can big daddio bosshog coz me and my pals is gonna be crashing your lame beach party right quick!

post-4506-0-53141200-1380171066_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
SomeRandomGuy

i lived there for quiet sometime....  loved sarigao... the people  not so much...

I thought quicksilver had pulled out of sarigao also as they were sick and tired of being constantly ripped off by the locals......I know I was

I think you're right. It seems to have a pointed nose like a dolphin. A shark would be rounder. That's cool if there's dolphins there! :D

Great white and Mako are conical snouts as opposed to the traditional shark shape wedge.  Difficult to scale that pic but it would suggests a 12 footer which is a bit  big for a bottle nose. Tail shape is "mackrel" like which suggest a shark not a dolphin or other aquatic mammal.

Yet dorsal seems to sit at half way point which is not right  for the big sharks as it usually at 1/3 point away from the snout.  Nice picture just not 100% certain as to what it is or is not.  I was also under the impression that Quicksilver had bailed for the reasons given.

Edited by spooks
BossHog

Been on this island since the Clinton (oops I meant Ramos) years and can't recall offhand ever being ripped off. Nothing major anyhow. Maybe a few coconuts and bananas missing once in a while.

/////

@@@

Women's tournament over the weekend. Will try and post videos of that too, if there's interest.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

Looks like a bottlenose dolphin. 

Looks to big for fake tuna

If your sure---paddle out with a couple of gutted fish in each hand :)

BOSS--- great photos and vids

Ahhhh to be young and living off the 101 in cali again

• Like 1
BossHog

BOSS--- great photos and vids

Glad you're enjoying the videos. I'm just snagging them from youtube.

I've talked to Willa Archibald who owns Ocean 101 with her husband, Michael Archibald, an Australian, and she told me they opened their beach resort in 2000 and have expanded since then. They have an occupancy rating that averages 60% plus, mostly young expats. Their standard rate is less than P2,000/night. Another resort, Dedon Island, operates at 30%-40% occupancy as it caters only to an elite crowd. It's cheapest rate is US$980/night. Dedon Island was previously known as Pansukian beach resort for 20 years. It was owned then by Frenchman Nicholas Rambeau, who sold it to the current owner Dedon furniture founder Bobby Dekeyser, a German.

By nature a business could fail under several circumstances-poor management, incompetent or not enough staff, economic downturn, lack of credit, lack of capital, fraud, natural disasters, and, in any country, having the wrong friends.

Edited by CNE Tower
JamesMusslewhite

I was on Siargao mid September when the waves were still not high. But I visited several beach resorts including Cloud 9, Ocean 101, Island Cabana, Dedon, Kalinaw, and Siargao Bleu which is still under construction. I like the place and will be coming back next year when the waves are high. I've also visited Surigao city on my way back to Cebu. The city is small but relatively clean. I've talked with the city mayor over breakfast about the newly opened iron mine of Sumitomo (Japan) in nearby Claver which offers 6,000 new jobs. I'm back in Toronto and looking toward seeing new things in Surigao del Norte next year.

Thanks BoosHog for the photos and update.

James Musslewhite: I also enjoy your postings on farming and fish culture. I've seen some organic farming on Siargao by a relative of the province's congressman and governor. Quite impressive.

Your talking of Dr. Sol Matugas and her husband, she is the person who ask me to design a horticultural curriculum for the High schools here in Surigao City. I hope to have it completed and ready to start here in Caraga Regional Science High by the start of next year's school cycle. I consider her to be good friend of mine and I owe her for helping my son to integrate into Science High, as he was raised in the US and had not attended a Filipino school before he was admitted into their program. She is someone I have the utmost respect for.

Perhaps we can meet next time you come here. 

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

Great white and Mako are conical snouts as opposed to the traditional shark shape wedge. Difficult to scale that pic but it would suggests a 12 footer which is a bit big for a bottle nose. Tail shape is "mackrel" like which suggest a shark not a dolphin or other aquatic mammal.

Yet dorsal seems to sit at half way point which is not right for the big sharks as it usually at 1/3 point away from the snout. Nice picture just not 100% certain as to what it is or is not. I was also under the impression that Quicksilver had bailed for the reasons given.

.... Whatever it is I'm also not sure if it was taken at or has anything to do with Surigao Island.
mactanfamily

Quicksilver may have been sick of being ripped off, but as a company they have lost money for 6 years straight. They are on their way out folks. Dropping Cloud 9 is only the beginning. 

Well actually losing half a BILLION dollars buying Rossignol Skis was the real start.

Edited by mactanfamily

.... Whatever it is I'm also not sure if it was taken at or has anything to do with Surigao Island.

me neither the sharks at surigao are way bigger :yahoo:

bahalina buong

Quicksilver may have been sick of being ripped off, but as a company they have lost money for 6 years straight. They are on their way out folks. Dropping Cloud 9 is only the beginning. 

Well actually losing half a BILLION dollars buying Rossignol Skis was the real start.

They seem to be doing well here.  I see their stuff in Gaisano all the time.  Oh wait, that's QUICKSLIVER.  :P  

Looks like a bottlenose dolphin. 

exactly......as a surfer from Oz one learns to tell the difference from a shark or dolphin silhoette.

Also far as surf breaks go when its pumping I rate that break as hard hitting as Ulluwatu and G-land but as a right hand surfer that take-off is a real heart stopper when you are forced to take off really far inside by some idiot local.

• Like 1
BossHog

Putra Hermawan Wins the 19th Annual Siargao International Surfing Cup at Cloud Nine over Local Barrel Ace Rodolfo (Osot) Alcala

27 September 2013, Siargao Island-Philippines:  In a 30 minute man-on man duel at the 19th Annual Siargao International Surfing Cup at Cloud 9 on Siargao Island today, Indonesia’s Putra Hermawan defeated Siargao’s local barrel ace Rodolfo “Osot” Alcala to win the ASC-sanctioned Men’s Open Division and bring home the $5,000 USD winner’s prize as well as 3,000 valuable ASC championship points.

Alcala will receive $2,000 USD for his impressive performance during the competition and the honor of the runner up title.....

After the Men’s Open final, the Women’s Division competitors got their chance to take on Cloud 9.  The waves were sometimes a bit intimidating for the women, but the standouts were local sisters Nildie (Blancada) Rietenbach and Nilbe Blancada.  Nildie on her back hand was charging deepest and taking on the biggest set waves, posting the sessions highest single wave score of 8.33 and the highest total heat score of 15.33 out of a possible 20.