Sign in to follow this  
Ogami

Dell MB failure...I think

Ogami

My Dell XPS 435 apparently needs a new motherboard. I've already replaced the PWS so  I think I'll just buy a new computer. Here's the question. I have a lot of software on my HDD and programs that point to specific files etc. A clean slate would be a big hassle. So, can  I use my old  XPS 435 hdd on a new machine so I won't have to worry about activation codes, software installs, lost files etc? If it's possible use my old hdd, does the new machine have to be a Dell? Any Dell? what are my options here. W7 but I think Dell has it's own Dellified version...

T.S.

Running the "Repair" option from the Windows 7 CD on your new computer with your old HD might make everything work.

I did it once years ago with a motherboard replacement.

I usually prefer to start with a clean slate and reinstall everything though.

philuk

This depends on the software installed on your HDD, it would have to be at least a like for like motherboard,

If the original install was from factory or dell recovery disc there is little chance of it booting in your new PC.

As already suggested a clean install would be far better,

You can however install the original HDD as a second drive, just move the jumpers to slave or cable select, and connect it to the centre connector on the ribon cable.

But even that will depend on weather your hard drive is a PATA or SATA drive a lot of the newer motherboards have only one IDE connector, You can get arround this

by buying a SATA PATA adapter, or an external docking station.

• Like 1

philuk

just a thought< have you tested the MOBO, disconect all the periferal cables from the mobo, ie the two large flat ribon cables, remove the graphics card if it has one

and connect the vga cable to the mobo graphics conecter. switch on and see if you can boot to bios, ( hold down the delete key or sometimes the F2 key, F8 F12)

if it boots to bios then switch off and reconect the hard drive ribbon and try again,

I have had a lot of dead pc problems caused by dead DVD / disc drives,

you can also visualy check your MOBO for swollen capasitors, the silver cap on the top will dome up if they are faulty.

• Like 1