Another Raid on Cebu Bars

greatplace

when you have parents who encourage their own daughters to work in those bars what chance have you got ? money is more important than morals in this country its sad to say .As long as there is poverty and corruption it will never be eradicated .I have never been to a bikini bar and never wish to visit one ,To me a bar is a place to go for a drink and chat with your mates ,a game of pool or darts a bite to eat etc etc .

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spooks

• Alan S

• hyaku

• SomeRandomGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have any you guys visit the squatter areas? My friends live in Duljo and I go there on occasion to visit,maybe have a beer or two. Put yourself in the girls parents shoes. They are both in dire povert

If they were really serious about this, they would just close down every girlie bar and disco in the Philippines. They would totally dry up tourism, and all their troubles with "bad foreigners" would

owner sells bar to foreigner ... foreigner remodels bar ,,, bar gets raided.... old owner if Forced to take bar back and sell again... endless cycle 

Have any you guys visit the squatter areas? My friends live in Duljo and I go there on occasion to visit,maybe have a beer or two. Put yourself in the girls parents shoes. They are both in dire poverty and are in late 40's or 50's. What are their chances of landing a job or a trade at that age. Everybody in squatter area has small business,,sari sari,mom n pop street food selling. So most make enough for the very basics of survival. Their daughter did not finish high school so she can apply for work 365 days a year for regular work,aint nobody going to hire her.She's tired of seeing her parents struggle daily so she HAS to make a choice to earn pesos. Lots these girls are at the end of a rope,and have to do what they have to do. I'm sure lots you guys here can't relate to that lifestyle,but as they say don't judge me unless you have walked in my shoes. My girls pop is 57,toothless and uneducated,and her little bro was 12yrs old when their mom abandoned them. My girl was 16 and they were damn near homeless and down to one meal a day. So she had to work in a bar to survive. Did she want to dance in a bikini and go to hotels with strange men? No...but she felt she had no other option at that time. Now she is in college and has no money worries,Im making sure of that.No welfare here like in the states gents ,there is no safety net for the poor here.

Absolutely right.  I don't think most realize what conditions these people live in.  When you live in a cesspool with little or no chance of getting out, working in the bar looks pretty good, and pays pretty good.

• Like 4

This is truly true, not only speaking about squatters area's but also people from far away provinces who end up here hoping to find that one job..
Offcourse parents from these poor area's know about what goes on in the city, and know that a good looking girl can earn herself some good money.

Poverty should be eradicated, including making prostitution legal to provide people with a good clean working environment where they don't have to be scared or be involved in criminal activities. But yeah what do we do about?

Just don't ever visit any of those bars, and if you do be respectfull enough to someone who is also just trying to earn a living.

Have any you guys visit the squatter areas? My friends live in Duljo and I go there on occasion to visit,maybe have a beer or two. Put yourself in the girls parents shoes. They are both in dire poverty and are in late 40's or 50's. What are their chances of landing a job or a trade at that age. Everybody in squatter area has small business,,sari sari,mom n pop street food selling. So most make enough for the very basics of survival. Their daughter did not finish high school so she can apply for work 365 days a year for regular work,aint nobody going to hire her.She's tired of seeing her parents struggle daily so she HAS to make a choice to earn pesos. Lots these girls are at the end of a rope,and have to do what they have to do. I'm sure lots you guys here can't relate to that lifestyle,but as they say don't judge me unless you have walked in my shoes. My girls pop is 57,toothless and uneducated,and her little bro was 12yrs old when their mom abandoned them. My girl was 16 and they were damn near homeless and down to one meal a day. So she had to work in a bar to survive. Did she want to dance in a bikini and go to hotels with strange men? No...but she felt she had no other option at that time. Now she is in college and has no money worries,Im making sure of that.No welfare here like in the states gents ,there is no safety net for the poor here.t

A_Simple_Man

Poverty should be eradicated,

Yeah, so should working for a living . .  wait a minute, the US and Canada solved both of those problems with the welfare system.  Should they try that here?

• Like 2

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

BOTH Club Temptation and p*ssycat bars are operating without business permits, according to records at the Cebu City Treasurer’s Office (CTO).

I love this part. No permits but somehow they paid their taxes without a permit number. Maybe the City Treasurer's Office has their own Pork Barrel scam going on and was going to pay the permits after they made some interest off of the money.

• Like 1

Poverty should be eradicated, including making prostitution legal to provide people with a good clean working environment where they don't have to be scared or be involved in criminal activities. But yeah what do we do about?

What you can't do is save people from themselves.

So let's throw millions of US dollars at the problem then - just open up today's newspaper or watch the PH TV .. Napoles is all over it for fleecing all that "save them from poverty and disaster money". This is hardly shocking news, pretty much SOP.

So there are now senators about to be named for being part of it - and what do they do? They are preparing to point the finger elsewhere at someone else fleecing the cash.

They are poor for a reason - they need to look in the mirror and over their shoulders to see who is at fault.

For sure some are born into it and they themselves become part of the problem and more fuel to the fire - but in my book the root cause (and solution) is undeniable.

• Like 1
Headshot

Even though the bars on Mango get all of the attention, they are actually just a tiny tip of a huge sex industry iceberg here. When I first visited my wife's (GF at the time) family home in Calamba (Cebu City), there were a lot of girls hanging around in the neighborhood. My GF saw that I noticed, and pointed out that there was a brothel right across the street from her home. She said there are brothels in many of the poorer neighborhoods around the city...like probably a couple of hundred just in Cebu City. Their main customers are Filipinos...not foreigners. Most foreigners don't even know they exist. Do these brothels have business licenses? Of course not. Do they pay taxes? No way. Do the girls in the brothels make the kind of money the girls working in the clubs on Mango are making? Not even close. Do the local police go after the brothels? They get payoffs and payment in-kind, so nobody ever bothers these places. Everyone who lives in the lower echelons of society knows this is happening everywhere here, but nobody goes after these places. Why? That should be obvious.

Shutting down the big places on Mango creates headlines for the agencies responsible for these "rescues" and that, in turn, brings them more money. But it is all just hype. They have no intention of going in and dismantling the sex industry here. It wouldn't be in their best interests. I love the way they are trying to blame all of this on foreigners (both owners and customers)...even though no foreign owners are in the records and foreigners only make up a small percentage of the customer base for the sex industry here. My guess is that the agency responsible for this will never make any charges stick against any foreigner "owners" because there is no paper trail to them. However, it IS probable that two businesses have just been destroyed, a lot of Filipinas are now out of work and a whole lot of money will no longer be pumped into the local economy. Nice going...idiots.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 6
jtmwatchbiz

However, it IS probable that two businesses have just been destroyed, a lot of Filipinas are now out of work and a whole lot of money will no longer be pumped into the local economy. Nice going...idiots.

most of the dancers in these mango bars don't get barfined all that often anyhow and just collect their paltry base pay for shuffling lazily on the stage for a few sets in between huddling together in the corners giggling, yacking and acting like immature idiots. they do pick up quick cash when their shift ends and they flock up the street to juliana's to snag stray koreanos and others looking for fast short-time relief. the other bars will of course take in any dancers put out of work as well, especially anyone who is a 5 or better looks wise. it's no coincidence that this raid was during the slow season do you think? come december and january no one would want to upset the apple cart.  

• Like 3

That article has so many holes that it could be a sieve.

It is in sense a way of slavery making these woman work for 6 days a week

So is working 6 days a week in a factory, or stacking shelves in a supermarket. However, many millions of us do that every week.

There has been prostitution  for ever, or at least, from the days of ancient Greece and they were commonplace in Roman times.

You are NOT going to stop it, so best to accept that and make it as safe as possible. However, that is too simple so wiont happen.

• Like 1

Even thought the bars on Mango get all of the attention, they are actually just a tiny tip of a huge sex industry iceberg here. When I first visited my wife's (GF at the time) family home in Calamba (Cebu City), there were a lot of girls hanging around in the neighborhood. My GF saw that I noticed, and pointed out that there was a brothel right across the street from her home. She said there are brothels in many of the poorer neighborhoods around the city...like probably a couple of hundred just in Cebu City. Their main customers are Filipinos...not foreigners. Most foreigners don't even know they exist. Do these brothels have business licenses? Of course not. Do they pay taxes? No way. Do the girls in the brothels make the kind of money the girls working in the clubs on Mango are making? Not even close. Do the local police go after the brothels? They get payoffs and payment in-kind, so nobody ever bothers these places. Everyone who lives in the lower echelons of society knows this is happening everywhere here, but nobody goes after these places. Why? That should be obvious.

Shutting down the big places on Mango creates headlines for the agencies responsible for these "rescues" and that, in turn, brings them more money. But it is all just hype. They have no intention of going in and dismantling the sex industry here. It wouldn't be in their best interests. I love the way they are trying to blame all of this on foreigners (both owners and customers)...even though no foreign owners are in the records and foreigners only make up a small percentage of the customer base for the sex industry here. My guess is that the agency responsible for this will never make any charges stick against any foreigner "owners" because there is no paper trail to them. However, it IS probable that two businesses have just been destroyed, a lot of Filipinas are now out of work and a whole lot of money will no longer be pumped into the local economy. Nice going...idiots.

I do remember a recent article in cebu where they busted one of the local taxi cab hustles. They take you down one of these dark alleys and the girls get around the car and you pick one. These places are designed more for the locals than foreigners. They even used a PNP officer as the guy to buy the girl. Turned out she the girl was a minor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the police on this. It could have very well have been the true story was the PNP officer was recognized and threatened then turned it around and had them busted.

SomeRandomGuy

it's no coincidence that this raid was during the slow season do you think? come december and january no one would want to upset the apple cart.

that is so true no one ever raids during peak season..... to much money coming in to worry about legality or not....

Just go up to juliano's and watch all the underage girls there being pimped out with the po po standing around doing nothing about it all....

• Like 3

When I lived in AC, I got to know some of the bar girls (several lived next door to me).

One told me that she had previoulsy worked in a Filipino-owned bar. There, she had a "quota" and had to go with at least 20 guys a day. She got P50 a day, if they happened to remember to pay her.

In the foreign owned bar she worked in in AC, she earned far more just for dancing, and was always paid promptly.

She could manage to live a fairly comfortable lifestyle without ever "going out" with a customer.

(In addition, she had  a regular health check, which doesnt happen  in Filipino owned bars.),

I'm not saying that none of the major bars employ under-age girls, but I will say that, at that time, of those that I spoke to, none were under the legal age.

Foreign owners seeme dto be vary careful, knowing that the cards were stacked against them if the authorities raided them.

Of course., whenever there is a raid, you get loads of publicity, loaded with emotive phrases and language.

Just remember that there are a lot of people who want to make  name for themselves and have their own agendas.

What actually happened and "the truth" take second place.

• Like 2
Davaoeno

had to go with at least 20 guys a day. She got P50 a day

so you are saying that this girl had sex with guys for about 2.5     pesos each, and that she worked there because ?? what- that was the best paying job she could get ??   Where is Snopes when you need it ! 

"During the interview with law enforcers, she said, the employees of the bars revealed they allegedly have not received their salaries for some time."

Maybe right there is the explanation this particular venue got into trouble.