If it was you, i'm sorry

Tinbum

Very disappointed at some of the posts categorizing and labeling people by nationality

Any "kano" in Asia is always referred to as ----that white guy ---- by strangers or in public

it is only natural to describe people by their race I hear it all the time from people of all races when talking about someone

I am assuming you white hyaku---but do you realize how many times in your students conversations you must have been referred to as ----hyaku the white teacher ???

Edited by KID
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrye83

• JamesMusslewhite

• hyaku

• SomeRandomGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me set the scene. We, the wife and i, are shopping in the SM supermarket yesterday afternoon around 3pm. Quite busy and i'm on cart duty. You know the score, you push, keep up and dont say too mu

I remember having this conversation when we first moved here. I would speak to anyone who looked like a "foreigner" whenever in the malls. Now I usually won't speak to someone in the mall,(some who ha

For crine out loud, where you from and how long you been here are friggin normal questions one ask. Usually I give the nod or a hello to a foreigner and the locals when it seems right. But to bitch ab

Posted Images

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

If you think I am wrong then let me ask you this----have you EVER seen 2 Filipinas pass each other in public in your homeland and them not acknowledge each other in some way????

All the time. 

Any "kano" in Asia is always referred to as ----that white guy ---- by strangers or in picking

it is only natural to describe people by their race I hear it all the time from people of all races when talking about someone

I am assuming you white hyaku---but do you realize how many times in your students conversations you must have been referred to as ----hyaku the white teacher ???

Considering the subject I taught I guess not. Little time to talk. They call foreigners "outsiders" But are well integrated with people that teach them their own culture.

What I meant was the Kano's moaning about each other Rude Brit's, Ahole American's Texans not understanding English? Worst than kids. Who the feck cares abougueoolour? If I did I would not have married a Filipina. Glad I left the West.

Edited by hyaku
A_Simple_Man

Dave having met you, I find it hard to believe that you would not be one of the nice guys

You got me.   :cold:  

But it does not mean I believe I am doing the right thing by being 'one of the nice guys'.  There are many people I end up talking with (read that listening to) whom I wish I had just brushed off so my response in this thread was more what I often believe a guy should do rather than what I would do myself.

On the other hand, some of my favorite friends were met when they approached me in a grocery store or mall in and around Cebu.  So maybe being one of the nice guys does pay off at times.

• Like 3
bahalina buong

I do often get approached by older guys that are friendly at first and want to give me advice on living here... I try not to be rude to guys like that as I can see they are friendly and want to give me advice to save me from mistakes I could make here ( wish I had of met them 6 years ago when I first came here to visit).

I get that too, and most of those older guys giving unsolicited advice are full of it and just trying to save face by pretending to be all-knowing regarding the Philippines.  They also tend to think 'one size fits all' here and their way is the only way of doing things.  I've gotten so much bad advice from those types who are not humble enough to say, "I don't know."

But one poster here said it perfectly that if he was on top of a mountain or in the middle of a desert and saw another foreigner, he would stop and say hello.  But in the mall or supermarket where there are tons of them?  That's just silly. 

• Like 3

I get that too, and most of those older guys giving unsolicited advice are full of it and just trying to save face by pretending to be all-knowing regarding the Philippines. They also tend to think 'one size fits all' here and their way is the only way of doing things. I've gotten so much bad advice from those types who are not humble enough to say, "I don't know."

Lol we have three "experts" in town that sit in the aircon cafe. Someoe christained them The 3 Kings.

If you are 60 with a 18 year old woman ...

The sexpats and predators and drunks.... I try to give them all a wide berth

While I can understand the mechanics of identifying and giving drunks a wide berth, I struggle to grasp how to instantly recognize a sexpat or a predator, so that we can also give those a wide berth.

This thread was about short encounters in supermarkets, after all.

Unless you are suggesting that you judge people primarily and instantly by apparent age differences in their relationships. But I trust that's not what you were intending to say, since it would be against forum rules :-)

Edited by Sven
  • Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

. But I trust that's not what you were intending to say, since it would be against forum rules :-)

mate u know what I mean by sexpats.... and no i dont judge a book by its cover... but I do judge when guys come up and start telling me how many girls they have slept with this week, and start talking about my partner like I to am here just to fill my quota.

Since the amazing and lovely people here of the RP do tend to tar all feathers with the same brush I do make sure I am not around these types of guys.

not trying to read to much into my post..... not intentionally attacking those with vast age differences.... nothing wrong with that.... But guys that we all know are up to no good.... these are the guys I do not associate with and I am sure there is quiet a few you and I probably know and have seen... so u know what and whom I am talking about.

As for the american statement....  ha I am just stirring shit there.... europeans though.... even the guys I am friends with here that are from euro     struggles with some of the cats around and about the place

• Like 1
JSL-USMC

I have to say, of all the people who have just 'randomly' approached me for conversation in a grocery or other store, none had wholesome intentions. Never once has a normal person just wanted friendly conversation under those circumstances. Probably because normal people in those situations are too busy getting their shit done in the store so they can leave and get onto something else productive in life. 

I think that I am fairly normal but I find myself at loose ends at times in a grocery or other store, waiting on the wife. So quite often I say "Hey, How you doin'? to someone. I see people that studiously avoid making eye contact so I wouldn't speak to them or someone who looked like they were in a hurry. Oh well, A tempest in a teapot topic. If they have a Marine Corps emblem/insignia anywhere about them I will speak...

• Like 4
cebubird

I remember having this conversation when we first moved here. I would speak to anyone who looked like a "foreigner" whenever in the malls. Now I usually won't speak to someone in the mall,(some who hang around the malls, frankly look a little creepy) but will usually speak in a grocery store, especially if it is a couple, and like BG said there if he looks unfriendly, then I won't say anything. I enjoy seeing a friendly smiling face whether it is an expat or a local.

Last several times in S&R met friendly guy from Moalboal named Tony(fellow seminole)This past week had a friendly smiling face say a biig "how are you" first. Even tho in the middle of the big sale, we still manged to exchange pleasantries. He has been here more than 6 years and still friendly. Mark if you happen to be reading this, I really enjoyed meeting you and hope your friend in Bohol appreciates you buying all that Folgers coffee for him.

I didn't read all the posts on this subject 'cause I remember all the nasty comments I saw when I first mentioned this more than 3 years ago. My feelings haven't really changed, a friendly person is a friendly person no matter where they are, and a smile and a hello doesn't kill anyone Besides " a cheerful heart does good like medicine".

• Like 9
JSL-USMC

Next time you meet a americano try:

"Hey, Joe!"

I Have. Some people take offense to "Hey, Joe!"  as others do when spoken to in the grocery. It just beats all.

• Like 2

I Have. Some people take offense to "Hey, Joe!"  as others do when spoken to in the grocery. It just beats all.

I excuse the locals, but screw with them ("who the hell are you?! How do you know my name?!"). I get pretty annoyed with foreigners who say that, but usually just give the "you're and idiot" look and hold my tongue and walk away.

Half Baked

I excuse the locals, but screw with them ("who the hell are you?! How do you know my name?!"). I get pretty annoyed with foreigners who say that, but usually just give the "you're and idiot" look and hold my tongue and walk away.

I'd be more inclined to do it the other way around.