If it was you, i'm sorry

Tinbum

ACCENTS? everyone has an accent EXCEPT me!! If all someone wants is a little friendly chit-chat in the supermarket, hardware store, coffee bar, etc...what's the harm? Maybe China make me less sensitive because everyone young and old wanted to talk to 'practice their English' so I welcome a brief conversation with someone who I assume actually understands what I say and vice versa....Kindness and a smile are free...

Yeah, we all have accents, but there are some English accents out there that almost qualify as a language other than English. I've been in areas of Texas (my home state) where I had absolutely no idea what they were saying.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrye83

• JamesMusslewhite

• hyaku

• SomeRandomGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me set the scene. We, the wife and i, are shopping in the SM supermarket yesterday afternoon around 3pm. Quite busy and i'm on cart duty. You know the score, you push, keep up and dont say too mu

I remember having this conversation when we first moved here. I would speak to anyone who looked like a "foreigner" whenever in the malls. Now I usually won't speak to someone in the mall,(some who ha

For crine out loud, where you from and how long you been here are friggin normal questions one ask. Usually I give the nod or a hello to a foreigner and the locals when it seems right. But to bitch ab

Posted Images

Like lee most of the time they ask a question on how to find something or how to get some where i usually offer them a suggestion of joining living in cebu... if its a military question i offer they ask the RAO and if its personal and or about money i let them ask my wife 

I usually listen to what people have to say/ask when they randomly approach me. It still seems a bit awkward for me outside of drinking establishments though.

In all honestly I think most of us know if we will like/get along with/know the motives of a person in less than 30 seconds of a conversation though. Why not give them at least those first 30 seconds? If drivel comes out of their mouth politely find a way to end the conversation and leave the area. You never know who you will run across. I made a great contact for government contracts (my line of work) on one of these random approaches. Of course, for some of you retired guys who sit at home on the Internet all day waiting to die it might not be of any concern to you. ;)

• Like 3

quote name='Lee' timestamp='1379946031' post='711451'] A lot of the people who live in the Philippines seem to forget that there are a lot of tourists too. Tourists are often friendly and happy to see another westerner and therefore may say hello. I have been approached many times in the malls and the conversation usually turns to questions on how to get things done and I then refer them to a forum if I do not know the answer. I personally do not understand why so many westerners are not willing to give a person the time of day when approached since not everyone is a scammer and in fact few are. If the person turns out to be a scammer then I have no problem telling them to get lost since I have a mouth, so I am more than willing to allow the westerners the benefit of the doubt that they might actually need some guidance or just friendly chat and are not there to try to rip me off. 

I was waiting on the street, having a smoke, just after dark,  the other day, while my GF went into the drugstore on Fuente Circle. There were 2 kanos both with fanny packs and small backpacks looking lost. That isn't really a good place to look like you don't know what you are doing, so I approached them and asked them if they knew where they were going.

They were looking for a quiet bar to sit down in, and said that they knew that things disappeared from hotel rooms so they had brought all their valuables with them!

I directed them to the "bar that cannot be mentioned", because It was the safest environment I could think of in walking distance.

They appeared to have Euro accents. I only approached them because their dress, behavior and belongings looked like a big sign that said "rob me".

• Like 7

Don't Americans understand the concept of personal space when you are in public?

Oddly enough, this provincial behavior seems to be a mostly "out-of-country" phenomena. I have never had anybody come up to me this way in the USA, but in the phils it happened frequently. Some type of bonding ritual perhaps? In fact, Americans in certain parts of the USA are the most unfriendly and/or morose people you will meet (especially people from Northern USA... i.e. NYC).

Perhaps the best way to end the conversation is to immediately (upon being approached) ask to borrow money... 

• Like 1

Oddly enough, this provincial behavior seems to be a mostly "out-of-country" phenomena. I have never had anybody come up to me this way in the USA, but in the phils it happened frequently. Some type of bonding ritual perhaps? In fact, Americans in certain parts of the USA are the most unfriendly and/or morose people you will meet (especially people from Northern USA... i.e. NYC).

Perhaps the best way to end the conversation is to immediately (upon being approached) ask to borrow money... 

Yeah, it's the Americans. The biggest aholes I have ran across have been by large and far the British.....or need we mention the Norwegians? Effin arrogant pricks. Of all the bar owners here I have ran across not one has said the problem nationality has been Americans. Bar owners say that by far the bits are the biggest shit stirrers.

I was surprised when I actually went to NYC and locals were stopping me and asking questions about my tattoos, where I was from and general politeness. NYC has to be one of the most accepting cities in the world. They couldn't have gave a shit more if I was black, white or hispanic.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's the Americans. The biggest aholes I have ran across have been by large and far the British.....or need we mention the Norwegians? Effin arrogant pricks. Of all the bar owners here I have ran across not one has said the problem nationality has been Americans. Bar owners say that by far the bits are the biggest shit stirrers.

Can't argue one way or the other regarding Euro's other than to say my several years living in Germany was a mostly friendly experience (other than my bad Deutsch getting laughed at).

I was surprised when I actually went to NYC and locals were stopping me and asking questions about my tattoos, where I was from and general politeness. NYC has to be one of the most accepting cities in the world. They couldn't have gave a shit more if I was black, white or hispanic.

Perhaps your experience is the exception rather than the rule?

I was born and raised right outside of NYC... worked there a few years also. In my experience many NYC natives are rude, loud and obnoxious... a feeling that would be echoed by upstate natives that live in proximity to Catskills/Adirondacks resort areas that New Yorkers frequent. In Florida (where I currently live) New Yorkers either visiting/living here have the same reputation.

Can't argue one way or the other regarding Euro's other than to say my several years living in Germany was a mostly friendly experience (other than my bad Deutsch getting laughed at).

Perhaps your experience is the exception rather than the rule?

I was born and raised right outside of NYC... worked there a few years also. In my experience many NYC natives are rude, loud and obnoxious... a feeling that would be echoed by upstate natives that live in proximity to Catskills/Adirondacks resort areas that New Yorkers frequent. In Florida (where I currently live) New Yorkers either visiting/living here have the same reputation.

Sorry, I have to say the most arrogant aholes I have met here have been Europeans. America and Australia seem to supply most of the drunk retards here but the pissy "I'm too good to be here" attitudes come from the EU. I'd rather be around a friendly drunk idiot than a whiney European with a sandy vigina any day.

Maybe my 4 days in NYC was not enough to judge. I don't really care though as I was treated with respect. I'm not exactly sure what you would consider an average New Yorker as when I was there it seemed to be one of the most ethnically diverse places in the world. Seems you might be taking the stereotypical Hollywood persona as the norm. They were cool as shit to me. Maybe a bit loud, but if you are loud back they will respect. (I had a Yank get loud and wanted to fight when I accidentally dropped a ketchup bottle from a second story resto and it landed near him, when I threw the mustard at him and told him to shut the f up or come on up he grumbled and walked away).

Edited by Wrye83

Yeah, we all have accents, but there are some English accents out there that almost qualify as a language other than English. I've been in areas of Texas (my home state) where I had absolutely no idea what they were saying.

One those unintelligible accents is the Devon/Cornish accent that was taken over by the Pilgrim Fathers.

Davaoeno

when I threw the mustard at him and told him to shut the f up or come on up he grumbled and walked away).

as you pointed out ----  rude, loud and obnoxious.. "  ,

thank you for making your point so clearly - now I understand where you are coming from much better .      

He obviously read your suggestion "   If drivel comes out of their mouth politely find a way to end the conversation and leave the area. "

no appology ? [ as the OP suggested}

Edited by Davaoeno

you know t

here are good people bad people in all races colors nations all you guys bitching about  different people are  what keeps the shit stirred.  

I am white from the US and some of the biggest assholes I have ever met  have been white from the  US but some of the nicest people have been white from  the US. you cannot or should not  judge people by color  or country 

it is just so wrong

if a person is an asshole he is just an asshole so accept it and learn from it  don't have anymore to do with them

• Like 1

Well after reading your replies, it kind of ties in with how i felt it would turn out. There are introverts and extroverts amongst us, so no surprise there.

The apology was by way of using hindsight. Maybe i did come across as cold or rude, certainly un-communicative, but that was the scared rabbit talking. Whoever Mr big smiley man is, he has to admit to having a very loud voice, and the possibility of coming across as somewhat "foward" in his approach.

I initially saw his over friendly approach as a bit of an invasion in my private space, but in hindsight, i think it was made in good faith.

Just because i am not like Mr Smiley does not make him wrong, but it does not make me right also!!??

A lovely conundrum. 

Davaoeno

but in hindsight, i think it was made in good faith.

considering that you havent talked to him again i find that an amazing thing to conclude 

I was having a coffee and sandwich at a starbucks here when i was interrupted by a foreigner I was caught flat footed mouth full and wondering WTF is happening.  He did not seem to realize that his happy self intro was probably not so well timed and I must have looked like a deer in the headlights wondering how I was going to say anything without spitting out my snack.

So I just looked at him and he continued. Eventually i managed to engage  chew and swallow before saying hello you just caught me at an awkward moment.  e was harmless and friendly and was just being sociable just got me at an awkward moment

Yet I still have a lingering concern about being approached by strangers.  He advised that he had seen me around and that I had children etc.

Then off he went probably thinking to himself 'there is another unsociable foreigner i wonder what he has to hide' etc  I was trying to hide the contents of my mouth!!

• Like 2

I have no problems talking with strangers, almost anywhere. 

For a seasoned guy on the ground, you may not realize how much of an influence - positive or negative, you could have on a newbie. 

There is nothing wrong with being polite. 

You fellows find it difficult to be polite to a stranger? Not everyone is out to get, or take something from you. 

• Like 7