Why are banks here so 12th century BC?

senseless

hehe, your life must be hell here senseless as i see your posts all very mad living here and i understand as it can be so annoying sometimes but i have manged to adjust my atitdue so i can still stay here and be postitive but i did nearly also go nuts in the early times here. i do wonder why u still live here, are u waiting for a visa for wife or something?

Building a house for my animals so I can leave them here and move to greener pastures.

I came here thinking everyone was all family oriented and worked together to help each other and society out. Talk about complete, total, and utter disillusion. The people power movement had me fooled. I was under the impression that people were great and caring citizens. When I got here I realized I was talking online to a bunch of 80 year olds with rose colored glasses who's wives were just counting the days until they died. When I came here I was the nicest guy on the planet I'd do anything for anyone including a complete stranger. Now I'm a complete and total asshole with shit stains to boot. Stay here for 7 years and see what the philippines will do to you. A large majority of the foreigners I meet here couldn't afford to live in this country if it wasn't a total shit hole so they're perfectly happy with their 50$ a month maids, 1$ beers and all of the inefficiency and bullshit that goes along with it. It's like the worst of the worst in society and it draws the worst of the worst from other countries.

People always complain about how corrupt the government is. It's only corrupt because the citizens are also corrupt. Corrupt citizens will result in a corrupt government not the other way around. Take a look at the devolution of the US for a great example of that.

Once our house is done here I'm headed for NZ. I was looking for a place I could call my home that wasn't so crazy (totalitarian police state, your choices are more war and bigger military or more jack boot thugs and government hand outs, quite a choice) like the US. I really want to give up my US citizenship and don't ever plan to go back. There's got to be somewhere better than that cluster feck of self important idiots. I'm just looking for people that have more than 2 brain cells which occasionally flicker and take pride in the things they do. I'm slowly starting to realize such a place doesn't exist anywhere on the planet. I'm thinking maybe if I can accrue enough capital I can overthrow some place like Nauru through policy changes and turn it into my private UN recognized haven where I declare myself king.

If you know of some libertarian paradise please let me know.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 3

I have had mixed issues with Metrobank.  In all, they meet my needs and I will continue with them.  I've used Metrobank since 2000.  They had branches in Seoul and NYC (and other locations as well).  I was able to use these branches for multiple purposes.

My current branches are one overseas and one in the provinces.  

I can use the online services, but choose not to.  A few years ago I was using the online services and got an email from the bank advising me of some system downtime or such.  The email was sent to me and CC to thousands of what I can only assume are other customers.  Whoops.  This is the kind of security lapse that troubles me.

Also, I made the mistake of reading the agreement I signed to use the online services.  Essentially, it said, if there is a mistake during any transaction, the bank will not be held liable.  Any problem, it is mine.

I have a credit card issued by them (actually it is an ANZ card).  This became almost comical.  The card was to be picked up by me at the branch.  They didn't trust the mail to deliver the card.  Fine.  However, the statements MUST be mailed to a "street address".  I don't have a street address and even if I did, mail is NOT delivered to my barangay.

It finally worked out though as the bank now uses a courier service to deliver the card statements which is reliable.

They also have an online way to see your card statement, but the method of the password does not inspire confidence.  The password is a commonly known piece of info and cannot be changed by the client.  In effect, it is not really a password at all.

This is NOT Metrobank's rule.  It is ANZ!

I don't use the ATMs as I am a long term resident and don't need the convenience of the ATMs.  

I am aware of the limitations of doing business only at the branch the account is in.  This works in my favor as the branch staff know my family by first names and we can conduct business quickly and with a lot of red tape reduced.  For example, some members may know this already, but banks can give a preferred exchange rate when changing currency.  This can be significant.

The only advice I can offer is to know what the limitations and restrictions are before you open the account.  If they are acceptable, go for it.  In my case, the only large bank near to us is Metrobank, so the choice was made for us.  I have learned to live with the conditions.

Kinda like learning to drive here.

If you know of some libertarian paradise please let me know.

problem with such is the neighbors.  their idea of a libertarian paradise may include a yard full of roosters, or the right to drive counterflow in the middle of the night with no headlights.

• Like 1

Why are banks here so 12th century BC?

So they fit in with the culture they serve.

• Like 1

I have no issues with PNB. been with them since 2002. I have savings account accessible via ATM. If I need to speak to someone, they are available within a few minutes at the most. Being a rotarian helps though as the manager is also a member.

In UK, it was very difficult. I had accounts with nationwide, HSBC, Citibank, Yorkshire Guernsey. All operated telephone banking accounts. Could spend ages getting through the telephone scripts, etc only to find myself speaking to a clerk in mumbai who i could never understand.

• Like 1

Metrobank is undoubtedly the worst.

Yeah, when I read the OP I was thinking to myself...I bet it's effing Metrobank.
  • Like 1

No faxing at BPI - they pull up my signature card on the screen at the teller window, and if i had one on file there, my picture.

PNB did that once for me. Problem was they were "offline" and I had to wait 3 hours.

You are definitely not going to "love" BPI. I have had a similar experience with addresses and ATM cards with BPI.  But they do have many branches and ATMs.  However, they suffer from the same problems that are mentioned in this thread.

• Like 1

Sir, Sorry Sir, we must wait for the horse drawn buggy to deliver your paperwork, Sir."

writing a check is consistent with the horse and buggy era....so your treatment makes perfect sense...

writing a check is consistent with the horse and buggy era....so your treatment makes perfect sense...

Ya, If I want the account with the ATM card (that they said didn't exist) I have to cancel the existing one which means writing new checks to the land lord who insisted on having checks (which is the only reason I have the account).

Edited by senseless

Trying to write a check to cash and cash it at one branch but the account was opened at another branch. 3 hours now waiting in the bank for a "fax" from "my branch".

Just ridiculous.

Welcome to the "modern age".

HEY LETS SEE IF WE CAN GO GET SOME MORE FOREIGN SUCKERS INVESTORS TO CON GET INTO THIS SHIT HOLE GREAT MARKET

I seriously wonder why this country doesn't just fecking collapse in on itself.

"Sir, Sorry Sir, we must wait for the horse drawn buggy to deliver your paperwork, Sir."

I need to remind myself. "Sir, That's how we do it here, Sir".

Im surprised they let you do it all.

but fwiw the US "check 21 act" is considered absolutely laughable outside the US. instead of sending checks around they send faxes of checks. or so ive been told

At least the banks here have not been bailed out to the tune of billions of dollars and expect their customers to cover their greed. bank of America, Lloyds, HBOS, bank of Ireland, all bankrupt unless propped up by governments.

to be fair to lloyds there were doing very well until Gordon Brown told them to buy HBOS.

miles-high

writing a check is consistent with the horse and buggy era....so your treatment makes perfect sense...

A check? Postdated checks are in lieu of the employment contracts (or enforcement thereof) in the Philippines… It’s more fun with cash in the Philippines… :)