Why are banks here so 12th century BC?

senseless

Trying to write a check to cash and cash it at one branch but the account was opened at another branch. 3 hours now waiting in the bank for a "fax" from "my branch".

Just ridiculous.

Welcome to the "modern age".

HEY LETS SEE IF WE CAN GO GET SOME MORE FOREIGN SUCKERS INVESTORS TO CON GET INTO THIS SHIT HOLE GREAT MARKET

I seriously wonder why this country doesn't just fecking collapse in on itself.

"Sir, Sorry Sir, we must wait for the horse drawn buggy to deliver your paperwork, Sir."

I need to remind myself. "Sir, That's how we do it here, Sir".

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1

Trying to write a check to cash and cash it at one branch but the account was opened at another branch. 3 hours now waiting in the bank for a "fax" from "my branch".

Just ridiculous.

Welcome to the "modern age".

HEY LETS SEE IF WE CAN GO GET SOME MORE FOREIGN SUCKERS INVESTORS TO CON GET INTO THIS SHIT HOLE GREAT MARKET

I seriously wonder why this country doesn't just fecking collapse in on itself.

"Sir, Sorry Sir, we must wait for the horse drawn buggy to deliver your paperwork, Sir."

I need to remind myself. "Sir, That's how we do it here, Sir".

Why would you expect the banks to be more modern than any other business, or the government? Most all seem to be a minimum of 50 years behind the times.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

metrobank, but they're all just as bad

No faxing at BPI - they pull up my signature card on the screen at the teller window, and if i had one on file there, my picture. 

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

Exactly what I guessed. Of the "Big Three" Philippine banks - BDO, Metrobank and BPI - Metrobank is undoubtedly the worst.

None of them are up to par with most western banks, but as far as Philippine banking goes, BPI is definitely better than Metrobank.

Open an account with BPI - you may not love them, but you're going to like them better than Metrobank.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid

At least the banks here have not been bailed out to the tune of billions of dollars and expect their customers to cover their greed. bank of America, Lloyds, HBOS, bank of Ireland, all bankrupt unless propped up by governments.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

When I moved to Cebu I went to my local BDO to change my address from Dumaguete. Sorry Sir, you can only do that at your branch in Dumaguete. OK then I want to transfer my accounts to this branch. Sorry Sir, you can't transfer accounts from one branch to another, but sir you can still conduct transactions here if you pay P200 for each transaction, since we are not your branch. OK what is my option. Sir you can open a new account here. OK open new account here and close my accountants in Dumaguete. Sorry Sir, we can't close your accounts in Dumaguete, you have to go back there and close them in person. So I fill out applications for new accounts. Sorry Sir, you have to live here for 6 months before you can open a new account. I've been in the Philippines 4 years. Sorry Sir, but you have to live in Cebu for 6 months.

Back in Dumaguete so while I'm there I go into close my accounts. Sorry Sir, but you can't close your accounts unless you turn in your ATM cards. I don't have them because I no longer use them. I have a friend visiting in a few weeks, I will let him bring them to you. Sorry Sir, you have to turn them in in person. Oh OK well I think I might have destroyed them. She has a conference with her supervisor, who has a conference with hers. Sir you have to file a notice of loss. But they aren't lost, just destroyed. and on and on....

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yea, BDO has their weaknesses for sure. Drove me nuts with the address thing. Even a branch manager gave me the token answer. Then I said, "Well, I can't pay my monthly credit card statement until it gets mailed to me." 

They got it to me right quick at the new address.

• Like 2

At least the banks here have not been bailed out to the tune of billions of dollars and expect their customers to cover their greed. bank of America, Lloyds, HBOS, bank of Ireland, all bankrupt unless propped up by governments.

how can they go belly up when they are allowed to charge a few hundred percent on credit cards... 

I agree with the other posters.  Metrobank was terrible, much worse than BPI.  I've been happy with BPI.

• Like 1

When I moved to Cebu I went to my local BDO to change my address from Dumaguete. Sorry Sir, you can only do that at your branch in Dumaguete. OK then I want to transfer my accounts to this branch. Sorry Sir, you can't transfer accounts from one branch to another, but sir you can still conduct transactions here if you pay P200 for each transaction, since we are not your branch. OK what is my option. Sir you can open a new account here. OK open new account here and close my accountants in Dumaguete. Sorry Sir, we can't close your accounts in Dumaguete, you have to go back there and close them in person. So I fill out applications for new accounts. Sorry Sir, you have to live here for 6 months before you can open a new account. I've been in the Philippines 4 years. Sorry Sir, but you have to live in Cebu for 6 months.

Back in Dumaguete so while I'm there I go into close my accounts. Sorry Sir, but you can't close your accounts unless you turn in your ATM cards. I don't have them because I no longer use them. I have a friend visiting in a few weeks, I will let him bring them to you. Sorry Sir, you have to turn them in in person. Oh OK well I think I might have destroyed them. She has a conference with her supervisor, who has a conference with hers. Sir you have to file a notice of loss. But they aren't lost, just destroyed. and on and on....

once i was in my bank and took a number it was 86 and i looked up and they were on 09  2 hours later they are on 83 and said sorry we close in 5 min i ran to the manager and said are you kidding i have been here over 2 hours and your free coffee is thick enough to use as oil in my car , so he looks at me and says.... well sir we can not do your banking for you now but i can have them make more coffee ?  

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

once i was in my bank and took a number it was 86 and i looked up and they were on 09  2 hours later they are on 83 and said sorry we close in 5 min i ran to the manager and said are you kidding i have been here over 2 hours and your free coffee is thick enough to use as oil in my car , so he looks at me and says.... well sir we can not do your banking for you now but i can have them make more coffee ?

download (1).jpg
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

hehe, your life must be hell here senseless as i see your posts all very mad living here and i understand as it can be so annoying sometimes but i have manged to adjust my atitdue so i can still stay here and be postitive but i did nearly also go nuts in the early times here. i do wonder why u still live here, are u waiting for a visa for wife or something?

Can't speak for Senseless, but we are for the most part, products of our environment. The environment can change rapidly, but many people can't. We tend to often like what we are accustomed to. Like few/some/many others, I am here because of a woman. Not because I was disillusioned with my country or had some burning desire to move to the Philippines. If I draw up a chart of pluses and minuses, my home country, at least for me would win hands down. Now some people take exception to my feelings and actually seem to be offended as if I'm saying that the choices they made are wrong, just because I made a different one. Nothing could be further from the truth. Lets face it. To many on this forum we are faceless contributors with silly names and funny icons. We don't really know each other (well most that is) and the only way anything someone says can hurt someone, is if they let it. Of course some people can really piss you off from time to time, but that's life.

images (5).jpg

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2

...3 hours now waiting in the bank for a "fax" from "my branch".

i'm guessing the clerks are occasionally looking up and wondering "what's he still doing here?  thought we'd got rid of him."

• Like 1