Surface vs iPad

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Anyone own a surface? The commercial they are runningnon stop during Sunday NFL makes it look somewhat attractive. Interested to hear reports from actual users.

Your post title refers to iPad.  Did you want to get comments about iPads?  I own iPads as well as MacBooks.  

I had some interest in a Surface, but realized the iPads meet all my needs.  

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I have two iPads. So I am looking to compare the surface. I have to give ms credit for their current commercial. Very witty and all of my gripes are brought up in it. Also the price seems to be another advantage.

Edit - my grips with the iPad.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I've been comparing the Mini iPad with the Samsung Galaxy Note 8". I have an iPad and don't consider it a full computer due to it's tablet limitations. It's great for what it does and it does it very well. However I like my android smart phone as it is much more like a computer. Not much it can't do and I like being able to customize it with endless possibilities, something that's lacking in the iPad. If the Surface is customizable and can run most windows programs, I would say it's got a leg up on the iPad.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8.0.jpg

Edited by Salty Dog

If the Surface is customizable and can run most windows programs, I would say it's got a leg up on the iPad.

The cheaper Surface RT runs Windows RT which is basically Microsoft's version of iOS. It only runs tablet specific apps downloaded from the online Windows Store, just like an iPad.

The Surface Pro has a full version of Windows 8 and will run anything that a regular Windows computer can.

So Ive had Apple Mac since the first box they made. Moved here and went windows to game. I know lots of things are not compatabl but what's with Bluetooth? I could not send pics from Android to an iPad. I thought it was a standard method of transferring images mp3 etc. Maybe it was the iPad owner who doesn't know how to pair.

So Ive had Apple Mac since the first box they made. Moved here and went windows to game. I know lots of things are not compatabl but what's with Bluetooth? I could not send pics from Android to an iPad. I thought it was a standard method of transferring images mp3 etc. Maybe it was the iPad owner who doesn't know how to pair.

Not to stray too far off topic, but the iPad can receive files using a variety of apps, some free.  A google search will reveal a lot of choices.  As well, there are adaptors for the iPad which can use SD cards to transfer images and some other files. 

I've had similar interest in the Windows tablets, since my children will use Microsoft programs in school (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).  My principle concern has been the myriad of operating system choices.  Trying to get advice about Windows products such as the Surface product is akin to asking what sort of car should I buy?  

I have found Apple products to be easier to make choices and with fewer concerns about malware.

Further, I can use many of the Microsoft programs on my MacBooks but not been able to do the same with Windows programs.

I have an iMac and a Macbook - so I really don't need another anything that is basically a computer.  

I am looking at an iPad because I like to read books, but doing so on my iPhone is getting to be a hassle. I would buy an iPad now, except I am waiting for the new Mac OS - Mavericks 10.9 to come out - you are suppose to be able to read books on the Macs with it - if I can, I will skip the iPad.

Regarding running Windows programs on a Mac - I have VMWare - it is a PC emulator cost about $50.  We have PC's in the house so I load a Windows OS on to my Mac - Running Windows 7 now. I have some old MS Office software which is ok, but if I need something better, I switch back to my Mac - separate window - and Run Office 2011 without any problems.

The only thing I would want on an iPad if I decide to go that way is a USB Port - other than that I think the iPad is "cute"

I have a Imac, Mac Book Pro, IPad (not used much), but for reading I use a Kindle which is much better for reading and I do a lot of reading.

MattFromGA

I have an iPad mini and love its form factor.  I've earnestly looked through the app store for apps and there are tons of interesting looking apps, but I wind up only using the browser, email, and kindle reader software.  One massive advantage the ipad has over the surface is the app store software base.  However, it seems most of the apps are geared for game players or people who just turned 20.

The surface they show on the commercials is for Windows RT, which to me has a dubious future.  The surface pro can run the real deal Window 8 and the desktop software of Windows on top of the tablet software.  If you want that the surface will clean for floor of the ipad.

I just don't see the ipad and the surface pro in the same type of category of product.

The ipad mini seems to be the perfect tablet form factor for me.  Its very light, just big enough to browser the web for real, and its battery last for days and days between charges.  I forget when I last charged it and we use it sporadically throughout the day.  It is the perfect tablet.  It could never, ever replace my laptop, but I never would want it to either.  The surface pro could replace my laptop, but its too heavy to surf the web while taking a dump.

If I had no tablet and someone was going to give me a choice of a free iPad retina, iPad mini, or a Surface, I'd take the mini first.

• Like 1
miles-high

I have a Surface Pro 256 (a special hi-cap SSD version) w/ Win8.1.

I have 2 iPads, iPads are easier to operate (more intuitive) than Win 8.1 but the real bad things about iPads are 1) no Flash Player; and 2) a built-in GPS. Win8 or 8.1 is not good at all, you need 1 to 3 steps more to get to where you want to go, as compared to Win7.

The iPad GPS is not good at all, wish that was an external option: FAA would not allow certain features because it’s not accurate enough. Surface is much better but for Win8 or 8.1. (Note for Monsoon: JeppView GPS position information on Appr plates is inhibited due to inaccuracy).

So, I am open to suggestions for a better OS/tablet than these two… :)

other than that I think the iPad is "cute"

Agreed. My belief is that iOS is great for women and children :-)