Sign in to follow this  
gmb8585

Question for the Divers out there

SkyMan

Jens at https://www.facebook.com/MactanScubaDiveCenter

taught my wife and does his ocean check outs at the end of a pier in about 20 ft of water.  He's very patient and can teach in about 5 languages.  He's also very fair on the pocket book.  I get no discounts or anything for recommending him.

Do quit smoking though.

Edited by SkyMan

cheesemiz

As this thread has been revived, I thought I would add something.

As I am a fairly noob diver something that I overlooked when studying, but had explained to me was the effects of Air in your BCD at different depths. Its something experienced divers take for granted, but I needed to experiment & play around to get the concept......

As you dive, the air in your BCD gets compressed, and doesnt give you the "floatation" you need.

So as you go lower, you'll find yourself descending uncontrollably quicker & quicker than you want to, until you add air to your BCD to counter the affect.

On the other hand, as your ascending, the air that you had added earlier is expanding, and causing you to float too much, meaning that you start to uncontrollably float up the the surface. So you need to let air out.

Its all about the small amounts of air and im probably not explaining this right, its been a while since my last dive !

Here's a helpful link http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-diving-guide/keep-scuba-diving/better-buoyancy-tips/

that correct . so at the surface you want to be neutral buoyant  

diving is great exercise of the body and mind.

SkyMan

Funny thing I was told by a friend who was working towards his instructor rating was I would probably find I don't need as much weight after a while.  I was skeptical and couldn't think of a logical explanation for it.  I think I've dropped 4Kg from my vest since.

Panic is you're worst enemy diving.  It almost ensures you'll do the wrong thing.  Unless jaws in on you're tail, never escape to the surface.

I have this BCD and I think it's awesome and will get my wife the female version when I can.

SQTPQI3.jpg

It has no control hose over the left shoulder.  See the little red lever at the bottom of the left pocket.  push down, air goes out, you go down.  Pull up, air goes in, you go up.  Air is released at several points on the back so it works at any angle, no trying to push some hose over your shoulder.  Release valves are one way so no need to rinse the inside of the bladder.

smidsy

Just to add, I got "BikerDave" from this forum to teach me.

He was excellent, and it was 1 on 1.

I cant remember the price(FX rates are messed up since anyway), but it was inline with the other dive shops, but as he's American, there's no communication issues, and of course it was 1 on 1, back when he ran Private Garden hotel in Dumaguete.

He's over in Texas now, so not an option, but thought I should give him a mention !

cheesemiz

thats a nice bcd. you dont want to see mine you would laugh to hard [ its real old ] and has many holes . got it given to me years ago.  i just use it to hold the tank

TorJay

Funny thing I was told by a friend who was working towards his instructor rating was I would probably find I don't need as much weight after a while.  I was skeptical and couldn't think of a logical explanation for it.  I think I've dropped 4Kg from my vest since.

Panic is you're worst enemy diving.  It almost ensures you'll do the wrong thing.  Unless jaws in on you're tail, never escape to the surface.

I have this BCD and I think it's awesome and will get my wife the female version when I can.

SQTPQI3.jpg

It has no control hose over the left shoulder.  See the little red lever at the bottom of the left pocket.  push down, air goes out, you go down.  Pull up, air goes in, you go up.  Air is released at several points on the back so it works at any angle, no trying to push some hose over your shoulder.  Release valves are one way so no need to rinse the inside of the bladder.

I have the same BCD and love it. 

Make sure your buddy knows how it works though! :)

SkyMan

I have the same BCD and love it. 

Make sure your buddy knows how it works though! :)

She does.  ;) Edited by SkyMan

gmb8585

Would like to say thank you for everyone who has responded to my post. fabulous suggestions and encouragement. I will be back in the phillipines in late november and will try again. Obviously since Roger has died i will have to start from scratch but  so be it. I have cut back my smoking dramatically and will jump on the eliptical machine for the next month to try to get in better cardio condition. now i need to find a new instructor and any further suggetions welcome. Again thank you all so much, the response was more than i could ever hope for and is a tribute to the calibre of this forum ,  greg

JhuonUlric

Hello Good day Maam/Sir.

If I posted this in wrong thread please bear with me. I have a questions for Divers out there. We were planning to have a Dive Resort we have already the place and the dive shop in a beach. I just want to if how can we become a PADI Accredited resort? I appreciate your help guys! Thanks!

cheesemiz

contact PADI 

TorJay

Hello Good day Maam/Sir.

If I posted this in wrong thread please bear with me. I have a questions for Divers out there. We were planning to have a Dive Resort we have already the place and the dive shop in a beach. I just want to if how can we become a PADI Accredited resort? I appreciate your help guys! Thanks!

That's a no-brainer.  Contact PADI.

Many dive operators don't want anything to do with PADI and go with SSI.  You might want to try SSI as well.

spooks

Many dive operators don't want anything to do with PADI and go with SSI.  You might want to try SSI as well.

Many do not want to be with SSI  either

Many are joint

as far as I am concerned

BSAC for ever!!

AS for the nice looking BCD I have an older version Mares Dragon fly  hub similar concept and design.  It blew the  minds of those I taught as I showed them my filler tube was a straw attached to the inside right pocket for manual inflate.  I suspect something similar on those smart newer versions.  When I was teaching I chose the Dragon fly because of its 'lift' and I could comfortably support students on it if they were in trouble, it was real work horse and now gathering dust...sob sob.  In fact I have so much gear and spare parts for most things including a huge quantity of dive cylinder parts it is probably time for me to dispose of them as I will not be diving again.

JhuonUlric

I try to search in google about PADI but I don't see any PADI Philippines that's why I asked here. Well gotta search about SSI then.

hyaku

It's a business. Employ instructors that are accredited with the various associations. I would be more concerned with knowing where your nearest decompression chamber is. I see many shops that don't even possess a bottle of oxygen let's alone and first aid kit.

• Like 1

spooks

I try to search in google about PADI but I don't see any PADI Philippines that's why I asked here. Well gotta search about SSI then.

You will not find PADI Philippines as it does not exist.

PADI South East Asia is Managed out of Sydney Australia, if you contact them and direct your enquiries to their nominated representative who covers Philippines and other close parts you will  get all the info you need and more.

They set out full criteria for accredited dive shops and the levels of accreditation you may wish to aspire to from basic teach up to DIve Master or to going full blown Course center for Instructor accreditation and beyond.

I was just clearing out stuff today, took all day. Junked my Alpine skiing stuff, will not be doing that again and loads more. Stopped at all my diving gear, never realized how much I had accumulated over the years but it is enough to fit out spare parts as well as tool kits for a full blown dive shop. I must have cylinder servicing kits for easily over 70 kits .

looks like it is Ayos Dito and Sulit for me to sell it all off, probably  close to 10 thou $US of kit here!!!not so much Aladdins cave as Neptunes grotto, sea weed not included :animal0028:  :animal0028: