Question for the Divers out there

All good advice above.  One-on-one is definitely the way to go to restore confidence.  Being in a class means that you are sometimes rushed into things before you are ready whereas a sympathetic buddy will allow you to take your time.  Using unfamiliar rented equipment may sometimes cause anxiety.  Take time to make sure it fits and you understand how to work it.  I am one of those who needs a lot of weight to descend - 12 to 14 Kg depending upon temperature, salinity and the thickness of my wet suit.  Don't be antagonised by other divers 'bragging' how little weight they need.

Always wear a full suit, gloves and boots.  I'm not sure that I would go as far as the poster above and recommend a hood.  I only wore a hood to protect against the cold.  However the purpose of a full suit here in the PH is not to keep you warm but to protect you against the 'nasties.'  If you are wearing short sleeves and an unexpected current makes you brush against fire coral, you will know all about it! 

My final advice is to dive with people who are as experienced (apart from the dive leaders, of course) as you are.  Don't be pushed into things beyond your ability and experience.  The advanced stuff will happen in time.

For what it's worth I'm a qualified Padi Rescue Diver.

Edited by GoHuk
  • Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spooks

• hyaku

• smidsy

• TorJay

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try having an instructor take you on a shore dive. I know someone who had a lot 'issues' like you are describing and then an instructor took her on a shore dive where they went gradually into very cal

To the OP...I agree with Mariafemac. Weight was probably an issue if you were struggling to stay level...especially is your nose was continuously pointed down. If you purge all of the air out of your

What shop are you diving from? Up at Blue Abyss they walk in for the open water unless it's changed. If you panic a bit you can't get down. Then when you are down the air will be gone in no time and n

For the past 2 years i Have attempted to get my Open Water Dive certificate and have had to stop before completing it. Last year i did good on all the pool dives and even did the written exam and passed. When it came to the open water dives i think i panicked and had to stop. I was in Moalboal and in the morning we did a few pool dives and tests and then went out on the water. The second i got off the boat and into the water i felt a little umcomfortable but not too bad. We gradually descended and i was having a hard time staying horizontal in the water and i think i used a lot of energy and got tired, then my breathing became fast and shallow and i then became claustrifobic and a feeling of panic, like i had to get the hell to the surface whcih i did quickly after signalling the instructor. i'v thought about it lot and don't know if i was just too tired or are generally afraid. I know i get a little bit of dread going down the steep cliff wall and not being able to see the bottom. the dive lasted a total of about 20 minutes and we only descended about 9 meters. I do attribute part of the problem to my smoking and general lack of good cardio conditioning.  So does being tired make you panic or does panick make you tired. I wonder if i would do better if i tried in a different enviornment where the water may be fairly deep but you can the bottom. I like to swim, can snorkel ok. Just dont know if diving is in the cards for me. Any thoughts??

Hiya buddy

As an instructor myself I have  a couple of thoughts and first and foremost I would suggest that the symptoms / signs you pointed out would lead me to think that maybe your weighting may have been an issuing, not just the amount of weight but also the distribution to help keep your balance in the water. Maybe you can cast your mind to check whether you conducted a buoyancy check prior to attempting a descent?

I think that most people are at least a little apprehensive the first time they try. It is perfectly normal. It is the instructor who should help allay some of these fears by taking it all very slowly. I get by this by first swimming under water where the option is there to be able to stand first if it is the first time in the ocean...... naturally the environment will dictate this option right?

Would be happy to correspond further if you wanted any further guidance or advice. I am an active instructor now amongst other things

Goodluck and enjoy

:-)

Mark

I have not dived Moabal so have no idea what local conditions are like or if all dive schools have shore entry only options in that location.

I have no idea what options are available there, so I will not comment any further.

Hi there, something akin to walking into a hot bath. Usually not a ripple in sight. Quite enjoyable off season. A few people come, do one dive and leave saying its no good. But if your a regular it's all there. Habagat is a bit choppy but you may be there on the day that sargassum frog fish can be seen. The shop I mentioned is Swiss/German run. I helped get a fewJapanese through open water there and they are not the best divers. Edited by hyaku

Hi there, something akin to walking into a hot bath. Usually not a ripple in sight. Quite enjoyable off season. A few people come, do one dive and leave saying its no good. But if your a regular it's all there. Habagat is a bit choppy but you may be there on the day that sargassum frog fish can be seen. The shop I mentioned is Swiss/German run. I helped get a fewJapanese through open water there and they are not the best divers.

lol The Japanese who worked for me on the dive boats were fantastic in the water.  Many new tourists who wanted to dive could not even swim. Had to intervene on one whale shark trip when I found my skipper had tied a loop around one of the Japanese girls and was trying to teach her to swim so she could snorkel with the whale sharks.  Not a good idea in the Indian ocean

Edited by spooks
Headshot

To the OP...I agree with Mariafemac. Weight was probably an issue if you were struggling to stay level...especially is your nose was continuously pointed down. If you purge all of the air out of your BCD, and you are still buoyant, then you are not properly weighted. With no air in your BCD, you should sink. If you don't, then get some more lead. It is amazing that your dive instructor didn't ensure that you were properly weighted before you wet down. Also, any dive instructor that does check dives in deep water is a total amateur. They should be done in water no deeper than 40 to 60 feet. So...find a real professional dive instructor first...and ask questions BEFORE you go out with them.

If you still smoke, I would suggest that you stop. It really plays hell with a diver's lungs (not to mention all of the other health issues you already know about. Also, don't drink any alcohol for at least 12 hours before diving...especially beer. Alcohol stays in your blood for a long time after you drink it, and can impair your judgment when you are diving. In other words, don't drink and dive. In addition, soft drinks can also cause problems. Both beer and soft drinks load your system up with carbon dioxide, and cause you to be short of breath. If you are a smoker, then this problem is magnified.

If you like Moalboal, a good dive operation has already been mentioned in this thread, but like I said, ask questions before you dive with any dive operator. Do NOT do any dives in deep water (such as Pescador Island). There are plenty of great reefs in shallow water (up to 60 feet) along the Moalboal coast. House Reef is one of the most beautiful, diverse and pristine coral dive sites I have ever dived, and it is in only 20 to 40 feet of water. You would be hard pressed to find any patch of coral more beautiful anyplace in the world. It can be accessed from shore, but it is most often accessed by dive boat. There is nothing that says that great dives have to be deep. Shallow dives allow you to have a lot more bottom time, and the colors are much brighter, since colors are filtered out with increased depth.

Time of year is important here for water clarity and currents. During the rainy season (which we are in the middle of right now) visibility is down and wave action and currents are up. I went diving last week, and it really wasn't much fun. Swimming against the current was extremely tiring. I didn't have to get on the treadmill that day because I had already had an extreme aerobic workout. So...plan to come sometime between February and June if you want the best conditions.

• Like 3

To the OP...I agree with Mariafemac. Weight was probably an issue if you were struggling to stay level...especially is your nose was continuously pointed down. If you purge all of the air out of your BCD, and you are still buoyant, then you are not properly weighted. With no air in your BCD, you should sink. If you don't, then get some more lead. It is amazing that your dive instructor didn't ensure that you were properly weighted before you wet down.

My instructor carried some additional weights himself -- when he saw I was struggling with my buoyancy on my first dive, he slipped a bit of extra weight into the pocket of my BCD.

My instructor carried some additional weights himself -- when he saw I was struggling with my buoyancy on my first dive, he slipped a bit of extra weight into the pocket of my BCD.

Same here.

Also, on the BCD, I find that my BCD wont empty when nose down. So either, I twist up to a sitting position to empty it. Or I would pull the valve with the string on it(dont know the name) which is located around my lower back(there are others).

It took me a while to get my buoyancy right, and when I had it close, I would use my breathing to raise or fall.

But everytime I go for a dive for the first time in a while, it takes me about 10 mins to get it as I want it.

Same here.

Also, on the BCD, I find that my BCD wont empty when nose down. So either, I twist up to a sitting position to empty it. Or I would pull the valve with the string on it(dont know the name) which is located around my lower back(there are others).

It took me a while to get my buoyancy right, and when I had it close, I would use my breathing to raise or fall.

But everytime I go for a dive for the first time in a while, it takes me about 10 mins to get it as I want it.

Or I would pull the valve with the string on it(dont know the name) =  Dump Valve lower or upper

everyone, thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, my instruction was totally one on one with Roger Carraway and at no point would i point fingers at him, i though he was great. the weight issue i believe to be correct and actually roger said it may have been an issue as i had to hold onto his arm at times in order to get level. I,m hoping to try again this winter, unfortunately roger has left the philippines so i will have to start all over again, but probably such a bad thing. i think if i work on my cardio and dont try to cram the whole course into 2 days maybe i wont get so tired and have more success. I hope.

i think if i work on my cardio and dont try to cram the whole course into 2 days maybe i wont get so tired and have more success. I hope.

Two days is an aggressive schedule. Mine was planned for three days, I think -- may have been four. Didn't work out in any case because Moalboal got hit by some storms (this was in January), so I came back a few weeks later for my last couple dives. No need to rush it -- Moalboal isn't the funnest town on earth, but it's OK for a few days.

Headshot

everyone, thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, my instruction was totally one on one with Roger Carraway and at no point would i point fingers at him, i though he was great. the weight issue i believe to be correct and actually roger said it may have been an issue as i had to hold onto his arm at times in order to get level. I,m hoping to try again this winter, unfortunately roger has left the philippines so i will have to start all over again, but probably such a bad thing. i think if i work on my cardio and dont try to cram the whole course into 2 days maybe i wont get so tired and have more success. I hope.

I don't think you need to redo the entire course. A good instructor should be able to do an assessment dive with you and fill in the blanks. If you want the contact info for an excellent dive instructor here in Cebu City, PM me and I will send you his info.

Gmb please contact PADI if that's his instructors ticket. They do keep a track of their people. PADI ASIA will contact PADI USA. I used to track down my instructor to find out where he was, here, Thailand etc. He will give you a referal.

" think if i work on my cardio and dont try to cram the whole course into 2 days maybe i wont get so tired and have more success"

When I was teaching the course could be done in 3 days if the tides were right and the student numbers did not exceed 4,    certainly NOT less than 3 days, with 4 days being the average.

I would expect a basic OW course to be not less than 4 days and maybe 5 if taught correctly and thoroughly and I do mean thoroughly. !0 years ago we were moving to a 5 day OW ticket with 8 students ratio plus a DM assistant.

I think you have been asked to do far too much in a  short time and even a younger and fitter non smoking person would struggle 

Edited by spooks
  • 4 weeks later...

one of the main things to do is relax and take your time at the surface before you desend. drop down a few feet get adjusted then go  down. you must be in control and adjust your weights to your body type you can use leg weights, waist or bcd. 

the more you dive the more confident you will become. when your suited up and some thing dont feel right like bcd ,mask ,suit or tank placement.  change out the gear because not all gear fits all

As this thread has been revived, I thought I would add something.

As I am a fairly noob diver something that I overlooked when studying, but had explained to me was the effects of Air in your BCD at different depths. Its something experienced divers take for granted, but I needed to experiment & play around to get the concept......

As you dive, the air in your BCD gets compressed, and doesnt give you the "floatation" you need.

So as you go lower, you'll find yourself descending uncontrollably quicker & quicker than you want to, until you add air to your BCD to counter the affect.

On the other hand, as your ascending, the air that you had added earlier is expanding, and causing you to float too much, meaning that you start to uncontrollably float up the the surface. So you need to let air out.

Its all about the small amounts of air and im probably not explaining this right, its been a while since my last dive !

Here's a helpful link http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-diving-guide/keep-scuba-diving/better-buoyancy-tips/