Something my Filipina G/F told me today.

batman2525

I knew a filippino couple in Bacolod.The mother of the woman in the couple lives in the US with kano(there not his kids) .Kano  sends money for a travel agency and 2 jeepneys to the couple.In time mother and kano arrive in Bacolod,every morning early the couple left the house and came home late each evening.My wife and I knew the kano and were invited to visit from Davao for 2 weeks,we watched this happening (the kano also paid the rent for this house).There were no jeepneys,there was no travel agency.Bottles were smashing against the walls when we fled back to Davao.

I hope that was on topic.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jtmwatchbiz

• batman2525

• blaze pontaine

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

these types of threads always crack me up. "filipinos" this and "filipinos" that.   doing business here for almost 10 years now and dealing with a huge number of filipinos on a regular basis, i can

Why would they be mad at the filipino husband?  Filipinos don't think its wrong to steal from foreigners.

Sounds like you already know where you stand since you are not one of the Nationals.The thing is, what will you do about it?

I find it positive that the GF even discussed it with you to begin with.  Most of the Filipinas I have known would not bring something like that up for fear of putting off the boyfriend.  Some live two lives, one for the bf/husband and one for the family.  She may have some redeeming qualities.

I find it positive that the GF even discussed it with you to begin with.  Most of the Filipinas I have known would not bring something like that up for fear of putting off the boyfriend.  Some live two lives, one for the bf/husband and one for the family.  She may have some redeeming qualities.

Exactly! 

My GF has told me everything about her family and most of it is very negative. We both have very little to do with them at all.

But I am in a relationship with her NOT the family

The OP has found a nice lady IMO

First, let me tell you that as a Filipino myself, I find it weird that your Filipina and her family think and feel that way about the Brit. I have yet to hear a Filipina who says what your gf said to you. Don't take what she said against the rest of the Filipinos or the culture. There are lots of Filipinos out there who would prefer a white guy for an in-law over a Pinoy, lol. Your gf's family, if what she said is indeed true and she wasn't just blabbering, is the kind you want to stay away from.

This is my experience too, but of course this varies, as with all people in the world.

I have almost only Filipino friends and they are always there if I need help.

In my daughter's family is both parts, some are great others are losers. The same as with my own family in Norway.

If I'm being scamd it's my own fault, I've been stupid!

You must evaluate people no matter where you are in the world!

• Like 5

This is my experience too, but of course this varies, as with all people in the world.

I have almost only Filipino friends and they are always there if I need help.

In my daughter's family is both parts, some are great others are losers. The same as with my own family in Norway.

If I'm being scamd it's my own fault, I've been stupid!

You must evaluate people no matter where you are in the world!

Right. The problem with a lot of Americans is that they're quick to single out Filipinos (particularly women) as scammers just 'cause they got scammed in the Philippines, when in fact it could also happen to them if they go to say, Mexico, Brazil, etc.

• Like 3

Im sorry Mr Panther I cant divulge that information,It was a big ticket item that I believe cost the Brit in excess of £100,000 (I was told)

It was an unusual type business that was operating outside of Cebu.

wow who in their right mind would risk that sort of money here ? he did,nt do his homework if you ask me.

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Right. The problem with a lot of Americans is that they're quick to single out Filipinos (particularly women) as scammers just 'cause they got scammed in the Philippines, when in fact it could also happen to them if they go to say, Mexico, Brazil, etc.

A fool and his money will soon be parted, regardless of where said fool should reside.

I was a fool and lost more money to American blonde haired blue eyed women than I spent living for 7 years in the Philippines.

• Like 1

The Brit who is married to her sister started a very expensive business a few years ago that recently went bust because he found out the other sisters husband(the Filipino husband) who worked for him was ripping him off BIG time and because of the ripping off by the Filipino husband all of the immediate family lost their jobs that some were getting 15,000 per month just to sign a form or do a little paperwork,so it was a big loss for everyone.

Now if it had been my exfilipino family this happened to they are probably mad at the Brit for finding out about the rip off and letting the business go bust, its his fault they are out of a job and not the Filipino bro in law's fault as he was making the best of the opportunity and the Brit could of still kept the business going.   Their loyalty is to blood first no matter what and relatives and close family are innocent.  I have seen this in person, blood, family first then foreigners if they are lucky.   Maybe I exaggerate but its my experience.

• Like 3

A fool and his money will soon be parted, regardless of where said fool should reside.

I was a fool and lost more money to American blonde haired blue eyed women than I spent living for 7 years in the Philippines.

Exactly. Gold-diggers come in different colors (and accent).

It's also American scamers her! And of course, the bad guys are Americans, we good are Europeans! LOL

• Like 1
batman2525

If you MUST have the desire to invest and help out the family, only do it if you are living here full time   He was NOT a hands on investor and that cost him   As someone myself who has lost similar amounts of money from investing I feel for the guy

The business was out side Cebu....even when the Brit owner visited Cebu for their annual vacation he did not bother going anywhere near the business location( about 200 miles away)....he would however invite all the workers and their families to a Christmas street party in Cebu where he would hand out expensive presents at the end of the night....and then complain to me that when he gave them their presents not one of them said thank you.

• Like 1
batman2525

There have been a few times I have asked her a couple of difficult questions......and she seems to answer truthfully....not just telling me what I want to hear...but the other side of things that go on.

Headshot

Two points. First, my situation is opposite of this. I have been welcomed into my wife's family with open arms and open hearts. It isn't about money. It is about trust and loyalty to the family. The extended family is full of deadbeats, and my immediate family completely protects me from them. The extended family doesn't even know where I live...nor will they.

My wife's sister's partner is a Filipino. They aren't married (and never will be) because he left his real wife to be with my SIL, but he can't afford an annulment. Right now, my SIL lives with us as our yaya, and her partner (who is also a deadbeat) lives in the old family house. He lives in and subdivided the in-laws old house into bed spacers, and tries to make some money from the rent...but other than that, he has no income on his own. Unfortunately, my SIL gives him most of her earnings each month as well. He is a shabu addict and has girlfriends on the side, so in reality, my SIL is just supporting his bad habits. My MIL and FIL won't have anything to do with him. He isn't invited to any family functions, and is not welcome in the home where they now live.

So...as far as Filipinos sticking together at the expense of foreigners, I have to say that it completely depends on the family, and that there is no "Filipinos vs. the world" mentality that is pervasive throughout all Filipinos. Certainly, there are families like that here. There are families like that everywhere. I think there are a lot more families that are just like mine who truly love and protect the foreigner who marries into their family. However, you need to know the family as well as the woman BEFORE you get married, or you will find yourself in situations you should avoid. There is no such thing as marrying the woman and not the family. Even if you and your wife avoid the family, there will always be influences from them...even if it is just your wife missing her family because she doesn't see them anymore.

Second, why is it that so many men who have NEVER run a business successfully in their own countries suddenly think they can successfully run a business in a foreign country...especially from long-distance? Most of those who lose large amounts of money in the Philippines have had little business experience as a business owner in their own countries before they tried their hand at business ownership here. It is a recipe for disaster, and way too many guys think that they can be successful at anything they try when they don't really have the skills to help them succeed. Because they have little experience, they trust others to run the business for them. Unfortunately, many of those who are trusted have no more experience at running a business than the foreigner. They just know how to talk a good game. That situation is not likely to end well.

• Like 7
Kabisay-an gid

There have been a few times I have asked her a couple of difficult questions......and she seems to answer truthfully....not just telling me what I want to hear...but the other side of things that go on.

If you're smart, you'll ditch her. If you're not, don't say you weren't warned.

I thought it may be a good idea to find a widow.  Someone who was already married to a (now deceased) foreigner so she is not totally dependent on my money.

Lol,even if he's not dead some have managed to keep some aquired money back from the family.