Something my Filipina G/F told me today.

batman2525

batman2525

Having a casual conversation with my Filipina G/F today and she mentioned something I thought was a little strange.

She has two older sisters,one is married to a Filipino living in Cebu and the other is married to a Brit and they live in the UK.

The Brit who is married to her sister started a very expensive business a few years ago that recently went bust because he found out the other sisters husband(the Filipino husband) who worked for him was ripping him off BIG time and because of the ripping off by the Filipino husband all of the immediate family lost their jobs that some were getting 15,000 per month just to sign a form or do a little paperwork,so it was a big loss for everyone.

So,during our conversation I said to my G/F how do the rest of your family feel now that they know that the Filipino husband lost them their jobs.....she said...oh they are over that now, there is nothing they can do, the Filipino husband is part of the family9by marriage) what can they do she said,I said ok...but what about the Brit husband who is also part of the family(by marriage)...and what she said shocked me....she said,well the Brit husband is not a part of my family as much as the Filipino husband....why not I replied,did he not invest millions of pesos to start a business that your family benefited from,.... only to lose it all because of the Filipino husband ripped  him off resulting in the business going bust..???and he is married to your sister just like the Filipino guy is married to your sister...

Yes she said that is true....But the Brit husband is not  a Filipino is he she asked.

Ok I said...and left it at that....(now thinking where do I stand..... being only the boyfriend !)

• Like 4
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jtmwatchbiz

• batman2525

• smokey

• blaze pontaine

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

these types of threads always crack me up. "filipinos" this and "filipinos" that.   doing business here for almost 10 years now and dealing with a huge number of filipinos on a regular basis, i can

Why would they be mad at the filipino husband?  Filipinos don't think its wrong to steal from foreigners.

Sounds like you already know where you stand since you are not one of the Nationals.The thing is, what will you do about it?

You now know were you will stand in the family and to never do business with them. I think you handled that conversation very well and now you can think with no conflict. Good luck!

• Like 5
Mandingo

I've work with hundreds of Filipino's, this is the exact attitude I see every day. There are only two types of people to them, Filipinos and then everyone else, lol.

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

Why would they be mad at the filipino husband?  Filipinos don't think its wrong to steal from foreigners.

being part of the site staff i'm sure you meant to say "those filipinos" and not all filipinos in general.

• Like 4
  • Admin (Retired)

now thinking where do I stand..... being only the boyfriend !

that's where i would be taking the next long conversation to

i really wouldn't care what the rest of her family thought .. but i would very much care about what my wife or prospective wife would think

• Like 8

First, not all Filipinos think it is okay to steal from foreigners. So, let's not lay judgements on the entire culture. 

With that said, Welcome to the Philippines, Batman.

Oh, it can get worse, in situations. Let's say you married your g/f. Then, both you and her father fell into the water. One of you would surely drown, in order for the other to be saved by her simply by throwing a rope out. Guess who would get the rope, mate? Hope you can swim really well...

She can get another husband. She can't get another father.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 7

Quite true. I have seen some women in the Philippines who would never betray their husband for the family. I have seen many who would stand by their man through thick and thin, without thinking twice about it. There is no doubt, there are plenty who are not like like that.

You can find a woman with the qualities you seek. You will never find them in this g/f, though.

• Like 4
  • Admin (Retired)

these types of threads always crack me up. "filipinos" this and "filipinos" that.

doing business here for almost 10 years now and dealing with a huge number of filipinos on a regular basis, i can say that there is absolutely no reliable generalizations i can make. i will say that if a foreigner comes here or anywhere else in the world with the attitude that they are above the locals, they will no doubt get their asses handed to them.   

some people do indeed over generalize.. and sometimes we just use it as a verbal shorthand, 

people should use generalizations with care and they should read other peoples generalizations with even more care

the best is watching people generalize but then getting upset when they are included in one

jtmwatchbiz

the best is watching people generalize but then getting upset when they are included in one

stay tuned :)

• Like 3
blaze pontaine

I was using verbal shorthand, of course not ALL filipinos think its ok to steal from a foreigner.  I do stand by my original statement but should have added the word MOST. 

• Like 4
Skywalker

I do stand by my original statement but should have added the word MOST. 

'cos that is not a generalisation....it's almost a qualification right?   :rose:

• Like 1