American citizen here, i have a few questions

miles-high

Maybe so I cant refute your claim bbecause I haven't researched that situation. Ive only looked at the situation where a foreign spouse comes on a tourist visa and the citizen spouse decides to stay indefinitely.

Sorry I was wrong on this... I did more research on this while being weather-delayed by TD Usagi, the petitioner does need to file an affidavit of support.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seattlekid25

• Davaoeno

• shadow

• Lauie

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just two questions for you...       Who do you like to take the NL central this year?   and   Should I take the 40.5 over on the Bears/Steelers this Sunday?

given that you have come to the conclusion that any filipinas who want to move to the US only do so because they are money hungry and only care about getting a green card - why would you want to take

I don't know if you're serious or what, but this is the worst advice I've read on this forum so far.

Posted Images

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Sorry I was wrong on this... I did more research on this while being weather-delayed by TD Usagi, the petitioner does need to file an affidavit of support.

Yea I thought that sounded too easy. Afterall, this is the US govt we are speaking of...

:bighug:

ellenbrook2001

yeah i like your response.  basically i was trying to gauge what might happen after 5 years of living in Cebu, married to a wife, with a child or 2 and then all of a sudden we are bored of Cebu and want to come to the united states.  

well every situation his different for me i am retired no way a can sponsor my fiancée before we did enter in a relationship a did stressed to her no way shes can go to AUSTRALIA impossible.but if you are young still and have an income and job maybe you can go back to the USA has a stressed everyone have they own case but remember very very important the girl you know now maybe that not the one you will marry you have too live with someone for years before you know her ??? did meet so many of them before a hit the jackpot my advised come here then observed only time will tell no one have a Cristal ball too know the future ,enjoy your time here a mean in a smart way 

good luck

Once you get all these things ironed out and you're ready to file a petition, just so you know, an immigration attorney is a waste of money and they're very expensive. All they will do is fill out the forms for you which even a 6th grader can do. My husband filed the petition without an attorney. When I got to the US, I filed all other immigration paperworks, from adjustment of status to citizenship by myself. An immigration attorney is only necessary if you have a complicated case. If you need advise regarding what step to do next, etc. there are plenty of sources out there. You'll be surprised how much help you can get from a forum, that you yourself will agree there's no need for an attorney.

I agree an attorney is a waste of money in most cases. If you have time and the drive most anyone can complete the process on their own or with minimal help. However, not everyone wants to deal with it.

The problem with forums like this is you post a question and may get 30 answers, all of which may have been correct when that person went through the process, in that person's case circumstances. However, processes change often and not everyone has the same case circumstances, so it makes it difficult to weed out the correct information from that which is incorrect, does not apply, or is outdated.

There is a whole slew of alternative help (agents) in the middle such as ours, which is a minefield ranging from good to horrible, cheap to still costing thousands of dollars. There are a few with good reputations and reasonable pricing, of which we strive to remain a member of.

Our clients come from a wide range of backgrounds, we have had clients that have been blind, mentally challenged (Down's Syndrome), to highly educated professionals such as doctors and lawyers (Yes, we have even had attorneys as clients).

So just because most everyone CAN do it on their own, does not mean everyone wants to. Several times we could have saved someone thousands of dollars and shaved a year or more off their processing time had they come to us first.

• Like 3
miles-high

howdy warren buffet

I am sure Warren Buffet makes several thousand dollars an hour, if not more...

About 25 years ago, the fresh-out-of-school associates' billing rate was about $250 per hour at the major and/or international firms in the US (NY, DC, Detroit, Chicago, LA)... the top-level partners about $750 to 1,250 per hour... Probably much more these days, I would think...

Accordingly, if you can charge that much per hour doing what you are specilized, e.g., mergers, acquisitions, IPO, etc., I would think you would be wise to leave things you don't really know to immigration lawyers, agets, etc.

It really boilds to the question of how much you think your time is worth…

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 2
Majorsco

There alternatives to doing it yourself or using high priced lawyers. There is a web based service my niece's husband used last year that only cost about $450 for a K1 Application.

There alternatives to doing it yourself or using high priced lawyers. There is a web based service my niece's husband used last year that only cost about $450 for a K1 Application.

Our fee is $500, there are a few that are cheaper, and a lot that charge considerably more. Cheapest nor most expensive is always better...

please try to keep up and read every post rather than every 3rd one !!!!   :banghead:

Sorry Ian... I have a bad habit of only paying attention to the interesting posts (like yours)...

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Sorry Ian... I have a bad habit of only paying attention to the interesting posts (like yours)...

i'll let it go this time !! 

• Like 1

Our clients come from a wide range of backgrounds, we have had clients that have been blind, mentally challenged (Down's Syndrome), to highly educated professionals such as doctors and lawyers (Yes, we have even had attorneys as clients).

I have had to reread this . you mean clients? or these type of clients  are forum members?

if one can navigate thru the "rules" exceptions. exemptions etc etc. they may be able to do it themselves

yet in some cases.. one better or should strongly consider legal advice(from a practicing Immigration attorney)

Reeves and gurfinkel come to mind as they NAMED ones that are always in the news.

http://www.gurfinkel.com/

http://www.rreeves.com/

I agree an attorney is a waste of money in most cases. If you have time and the drive most anyone can complete the process on their own or with minimal help. However, not everyone wants to deal with it.

The problem with forums like this is you post a question and may get 30 answers, all of which may have been correct when that person went through the process, in that person's case circumstances. However, processes change often and not everyone has the same case circumstances, so it makes it difficult to weed out the correct information from that which is incorrect, does not apply, or is outdated.

There is a whole slew of alternative help (agents) in the middle such as ours, which is a minefield ranging from good to horrible, cheap to still costing thousands of dollars. There are a few with good reputations and reasonable pricing, of which we strive to remain a member of.

So just because most everyone CAN do it on their own, does not mean everyone wants to. Several times we could have saved someone thousands of dollars and shaved a year or more off their processing time had they come to us first.

I had friend who wanted to get a tax number for his adopted daughter from the USA IRS. It was all proper and normal. Unfortunately, the process involved using a mail systems of the USA as well as courier or mail systems here. That means there will be delays. Unfortunately, these delays kept causing the process to come to a complete stop. He would file the documents as asked, but they would inevitably arrive too late and the process would be terminated. Start again and same thing. He did this three times over a year and a half.

Finally, he stumbled upon the knowledge that the RAO has a volunteer who is allowed to process this application on behalf of individuals here. This "helper" did not charge a fee or gain any benefit except the knowledge that he was helping out others.

Turns out, this problem of the documents being late, returned and process terminated was well known. So, there was a simple solution, and it actually involved a bit of lying on the forms.

The forms have a block to be marked if the application for the tax number is coming from a USA service member. If the block is checked, the forms get processed through a different route back at IRS. In effect, a different set of clerks handle the documents. When they see that the application is from a USA citizen for an adopted child, they don't stop the process when it is apparent the applicant is not a service member. That is simply ignored.

How did the RAO person know to do this? He was TOLD to do so from the IRS.

Once the RAO representative had the documents with the block checked, the process took just a few weeks.

In effect, the entire process would likely have NEVER succeeded without the intervention of someone who knows the rules and how to use them to their advantage.

Thanks to shadow for pointing this out. I do not disparage anyone who is providing a service to help someone wade through the bureaucratic messes invented by the Department of Redundancy Department (DREAD).

Edited by MikeeW
  • Like 1

I have had to reread this . you mean clients? or these type of clients  are forum members?

if one can navigate thru the "rules" exceptions. exemptions etc etc. they may be able to do it themselves

yet in some cases.. one better or should strongly consider legal advice(from a practicing Immigration attorney)

Reeves and gurfinkel come to mind as they NAMED ones that are always in the news.

http://www.gurfinkel.com/

http://www.rreeves.com/

I have never heard of Reeves, but Gurfinkel has a very good reputation, and charges a VERY hefty price, upwards of $5,000 for a very simple case. Gurfinkel charges more per hour than we charge per case, start to finish. The only case I could think of where one would need services of that nature would be an appeal or getting a ban lifted.

www.pinayvisa.com 

Yes, we have "clients", both forum members and non forum members, currently numbering several dozen per year.

Actually Ellen...you can take your fiancé over to Oz whether you are on unemployment benefits, disability or OAP, as long as you can prove a genuine relationship, have some sort of address (could be a hotel) get married within 8 months of visa grant..and guarantee you can support her for 2 years......you can get a family member to co-sponsor if you need to...

Edited by ozboy