Discovery Channel "Designs of a Dictator" Imelda Marcos - free viewer

JamesMusslewhite

JamesMusslewhite

Back in 2007 on the Discovery Channel showed a documentary of Imelda Marcos called "Designs of a Dictator". I found this one hour documentary on the Discovery Channel website which allows you to view the documentary free.  You can also view other documentaries right off the website so I felt many members would enjoy viewing this and other documentaries. So enjoy.

http://internationallicensing.discovery.com/pfd/pfd.nsf/player?ReadForm&docid=75E55876AE2255EB852570CB00618A6A

http://www.ovguide.com/tv/discovery_channel_documentaries.htm

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 6

And she, along with many members of her family, are still is involved in politics here today. Makes you wonder.....

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

They seem to have tried to keep this documentary hidden from the Filipino people. You can not find web links, youtube, torrents, are does it show up in internet searches. I even looked on the Imelda Wiki page and it is missing there as well. I can only assume some of the ill-gotten gain has influenced any available links to the video. It took a lot of time to search it out and 3-4 years it was easily found. It was only obscurely liked back to the Discovery Website. I do not see were it is for sell or even distributed. But one only has to watch the documentary to understand why they want it "out-of-site, out-of-mind". If the average Filipino were to watch it they may throw rocks at the whole clan.

It shows pure evil at work of one some think as a queen or saint.

• Like 1
Mandingo

Did they say the Marcos's were worth 100 billion dollar's at one point? Amazing............yet the country was so poor. Much of the Philippines woes today can be traced to what they did.

• Like 3
udonthani

she is easily the the Filipino politician with the highest name recogniton outside the Philippines. Her winning the Congressional seat in the 2010 election was the only picture anybody bothered to run in the papers here, even though the son of her husband's arch rival had just won the thing. News editors here judged, probably correctly, that nobody would want to see a picture of some prat in glasses, but that people would remember her.

• Like 3
MarinePride

I hate political dynasties. It's never good for any country.  I remember seeing something on the History channel last year about Ferdinand Marcos and his style of rule.  I just wish people would pay attention to politics as closely as they do to sports.

• Like 2

I dont have time to watch it right now, but certainly will do later.

Or, if possible, I will see if I can download it (Torrent perhaps?) and watch it at my leisure.

James, I apologize, forgot to duck 45 years ago. Sometimes have shot term memory loss. I'd already written about Time.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

James, I apologize, forgot to duck 45 years ago. Sometimes have shot term memory loss. I'd already written about Time.

No problem, no harm no foul. I did not see reason for giving a warning or imposing penalty points. I know you are a new member and are still trying to get use to the forum and the members so it is still all a learning process.

There has been recently a strict rule imposed to try to keep threads on topic. I am guilty of going off-topic (A LOT) myself.

• Like 1

And she, along with many members of her family, are still is involved in politics here today. Makes you wonder.....

... how naive the Filipino people can actually be.

No problem, no harm no foul. I did not see reason for giving a warning or imposing penalty points. I know you are a new member and are still trying to get use to the forum and the members so it is still all a learning process.

There has been recently a strict rule imposed to try to keep threads on topic. I am guilty of going off-topic (A LOT) myself.

And you are very fortunate to have been sorted by James.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I used to see her quite regularly. We both frequented the same Korean restaurant. She travels with a surprisingly small posse for someone of her (controversial) notoriety. I've seen vice mayors and B list actors with more bodyguards. 

Edited by Monsoon
udonthani

so Imelda likes Korean food does she. That makes sense when she never had any taste in anything else either.

• Like 2

Its very interesting !

The white guys comments were overly harsh, a bit like they were simply asked to bitch by the producers. The Asian comments were a lot more professional, and as such, packed much more punch.

Its interesting her style, I see that over crowded mishmash style in many middle-class Filipino houses. My Mother-in-Law loves to have her house cluttered with things that simply dont belong together, and to me just cause offence to the eye. But to her, its perfect !

One mans trash is another mans treasure(or womans)

Anyway, as said in the documentary, and generally accepted with the Marcos era, they started off pretty good. A building program isnt a bad thing, if it attracts foreign investment, which creates jobs, which reduce poverty etc. etc.

But of course, like a child who is never told no, it got out of hand.

I forget which poem it comes from, but as the saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

• Like 2
udonthani

Filipino aptitude with government has been spectacularly poor. Despite the leg ups they have had from colonisation not once but twice, it has turned out that they are the most useless of all the ASEAN nations.

• Like 1

Filipino aptitude with government has been spectacularly poor. Despite the leg ups they have had from colonisation not once but twice, it has turned out that they are the most useless of all the ASEAN nations.

The thing to remember is, they had hugh potential in the early days. If I am remembering this correctly, they were second only to Japan in Asia, in terms of economic growth, in the 60's, early 70's.

Its important to consider the impact of the corruption, if the Marcos's stole 10's of billions of dollars, thats not the worst bit. The worst bit is the corruption culture they evoked. From the low police man pocketing fines, to the mayors pocketing road building funds, all the way to the major corporations under paying tax. If they did steal 100 Billion, there is easily much more than that that has disappeared from the governments coffers. Add 30/40 years of that crap, and no country would successfully develop !

Is easy to get rid of the dictator, but much harder to get rid of the culture.

At least Aquino is making some strides in the right direction, the IMF seem very pleased with his progress. Who knows, maybe in 10/20 years ???

• Like 2