Sign in to follow this  
poby

Cebu colonoscopy - my experience. (warning graphic content)

Jawny

Anybody wanting to have this procedure done in the Philippines needs to make darn sure they have it done in a top-notch medical facility. If that means traveling to Manila, then do it.

I know of a guy in the States who died from complications of a botched colonoscopy. I'm betting the chances of a botched procedure are noticeably higher in the Phils.

Sorry to learn of your experience of knowing a guy who died of this procedure.  I know there are statistics which will reveal a colonoscopy has some inherent risks.  The OP seemed to be making a valid point that it is a worthwhile procedure for members of the forum.  I support his effort and feel that Chung Hua (and probably other Visayas hospitals) have the capacity to do the procedure safely and professionally.

The "botching" seems to come from the physician doing the work and not sure how the facilities in Manila will have less botching.  

My father died in large part because he did NOT have a botched colonoscopy.  In fact, he had only one in his lifetime and it was a few months before he died from the cancer detected during that exam.  

In a similar vein, I wonder if the well known celebrity of Rock and Roll fame died because of the procedure he had gone through the day before he had a massive heart attack?  Could his undiagnosed type 2 diabetes have had something to do with his sudden death?  Or was it the simple outpatient procedure he had gone through?

Thanks again to poby.  

poby

I'm sure it's safer to have it done in a western country but even here, I think the risks are small. But any surgery is inherently risky and you can die from it where ever you are.  I made the decision that I would rather stand a higher risk of death here but have my Mrs by my side than be thousands of miles away and still face a risk.

Even if cancer had been found, I had already decided to get it treated here for the same reasons. I can face anything with the strength she gives me by being with me. Quality is more important than quantity of life and being without her is a life I don't need.

• Like 4

broden

just go to the airport and act suspicious

they'll do it for free

• Like 2

Kabisay-an gid

If you do the research on what some of the bad things that can happen to you if things go wrong during this procedure considered routine by many doctors you will want to have it done in a country where you have big medical dollar coverage and access to effective malpractice avenues to try to take care of the medical conditition created by the doctor/anesthisiaologist/staff.  (I have had 2 of these procedures in USA, now at age 70).

True that! Google botched colonoscopy, and peruse the first ten pages or so of results.

Lots of things can go wrong, including improperly administered anesthesia.

There have been many true stories told on LinC of medical nightmares in the Philippines, like the doctor who couldn't even stitch up a cut properly.

I'm all for having the procedure done, but as I stated in my previous post, find the best darned medical facility you can.

Manila has more of the best hospitals, clinics, doctors and nurses than any other city in the country - hands down. Cebu City is a distant second.

If for whatever reason one can't have it done in their home country, Manila is the way to go, and only a short flight from every airport in the country.

joepitts42

I had 2 colon scopes in Cebu with Dr. Rudy Gho.  I recommend.

bargeman

If your Mom died of colon cancer at 68, you should immediately (if not sooner) schedule a colonoscopy as you have a genetic predisposition. I forget your exact age (40-45?) but colon cancer can strike as young as the 30's.

Exactly, my Doctor told me the youngest he had ever treated for Colon Cancer was a 19 year old male. So best to go early if you have family history or discover unusual symptoms.

Don't put it off Guys.!!!

mistaeric

I had mine done after I turned 50 and passed with flying colors. They even gave me a parting gift of photos of the inside my clean colon! Thanks doc I will framed it and put it on my fireplace mantle. I was talkin to a buddy of mine here in the states and he told me that when he had the colonoscopy done,they didn't use ANY sedative!! He said he felt everything the docs did,including the cutting or burning of the polyps they found. He told me they should have given him a shot or two of whiskey and a leather belt to bite down on! I believe that could happen in another country,but here in the U.S? I didn't believe him 100% but I took it for what it was worth.

oscarpears

My Mother died at 61 from Colon Cancer. My sister had the Colonoscopy done at 50 and they found pre-cancerous polyps that needed urgent removal.

In my Mothers case, she was diagnosed in July and passed away the following February.

I have never had a Colonoscopy, but I see plenty of Polyps as I walk down Colon Street.

NHANORAK

First bled in my mid 20s. As it was only an occasional bleed, I didn't mention it to the Doctor until a couple of episodes close together when I was 46. Had a colonoscopy at 47 and polyps were found and removed. A follow up 5 years ago @ 51 revealed no further polyps.

Definitely worth following up with your Doctor if you bleed.

hahahohoheehee

Everyone should have a colonoscopy once they hit 50.  It's the best prophylactic measure to avoid dying of colon cancer, which usually has no substantive symptoms until you are dead man walking.

However, like most people, I am averse to having my ass violated by a 4 foot dildo, even when it's for my own good. So I've been putting it off.  Recently, I've observed some unusual dark red material where there was none before, such occurring regularly over the past month or so.  Hence my reluctant decision to get this procedure done.

After considerable thought and investigation, I decided to get it done here in cebu.  In Australia it would cost me nothing and probably less chance of catastrophic complications, but seems a bit silly to fly all the way back there just for a simple anal raping procedure, and then fly back again.  I also considered what if it was cancer.  What would I do?  I decided if it was, I would rather find out about it here and get it treated here.  For the sole reason that despite the increased risks, I want to be with my Mrs, especially if I'm facing a possibly terminal event.  Better a shorter life with her by my side than a longer one without her.

Anyway, on to the main event...

I found a gastroenterologist/internist recommended by someone online as being good with their colonoscopy, and that being the only recommendation I found, I chose to go see her.  She turned out to be a rather attractive young lady with impeccable english.  I asked how many of these had she done and she said, no idea but well into the hundreds.  Had she ever had any complications?  Not so far.  I was surprised she was able to schedule the procedure for 8am the following morning.  I thought 24 hours of drastic prep time was required - liquid diet etc.  But actually, she said I could eat a normal dinner and just take some disgusting tasting phospho sodium at 7pm and 8pm and drink lots and lots of water or sprite.

The laxative seemed to do little until I woke up at 3am and that's when the evacuation began.  Pretty much continued until 5am when I was due to insert a couple of dulcolax suppositories.  That was about as much fun as you can imagine.  The anal squirting continued for another hour or so and then we headed off to the old chong hua building C.  Incidentally, I wish I had drunk a lot more sprite/water cos I was extremely thirsty at this stage but no liquids allowed after midnight.  Bear this in mind, if you have similar instructions. Get as much water into you as you can stomach before the cutoff time.

Chong Hua building C 2nd floor endoscopy unit is old and not as well lit as a modern facility.  Which gives an initial impression of uncleanness.  But if you actually look more closely, it does seem to be quite clean.  (The same certainly can't be said for chong hua medical arts building!)

Arrived there with 15 minutes to spare; the nice lady doctor arrived 15 minutes late and then there was a further delay as all the operating rooms were busy.  All the paperwork was done and forms signed and finally in to business by 9am. Gowned up, tabled and IV needle stuck into the back of my hand and then wheeled into the scary room with the machines that go "ping" and gowned/masked people.  I was impatient for the drugs as I'd never had anything like this before and wanted to be off in lala land asap.  They stuck the oxygen tubes thing in my nostrils, had me roll onto my side and then were about to put the drugs in at which time I no longer remember much until waking up in recovery.

I have a vague memory of pain and discomfort, like a dimly remembered dream.  But no pain on waking.  Just lingering short term memory loss.  Mrs was there when I woke up and she told me the doctor had talked to her with the results being a bleeding internal hemorrhoid.  Some polyps were removed and sent to biopsy.

Reading the results, "Limitation of Examination" included "Tortuous colon".  This is apparently caused by too much junk food/not enough fibre.  Decades ago, that was my life but despite having long since changed my wicked dietary ways, the affect lingers.  Doesn't cause cancer or anything but makes the doctor's job harder to navigate the instrument around all the twists and turns.  Also mentioned was still some fecal matter present in parts of the colon.  This was despite following the prep advice to the letter.  Some people say I'm full of shit, now there's proof!

Given the above, I will probably have it done again in a year or so, especially as having done it once, I'm no longer nervous about it.  The whole thing including the prep time, was more of a nuisance than a pain.  Total cost was 13000 php plus 1200 for the polyp biopsy.  Have been prescribed medication for the bleeding hemorrhoid, biopsy result ready in 5 days, doctor said to come back in 2 weeks.

I've written all this in the hope that it might be useful to some, especially given the average expat age is likely to be in the range where they really should have this done. And having it done in Philippines is not as bad as you might think.  At least in my experience.

I'm happy to recommend my doctor:

Dr Lou Angelique Dy-Limquiaco.

Chong Hua Medical Arts Center

Rm 302

10AM - 12noon

3pm - 5pm

My native Country doctor wanted me to get this done. I asked him is it related to my symptoms? No, it's not. He pressured me to get this done and then tried to scare me by saying. Ok I will write it in your chart, you refused it. The way it works is they buy equipment for this procedure or they have some kickback deal with someone so they get points or money in return for putting patients through what is often a inconvenient and sometimes painful procedure. I worked with doctors in the past, I have seen medicine from the other side. The less I have to do with doctors the better I like it.

fredanna

The prep seems to be the main topic. Very different approaches and some very inconvenient. My prep started late PM one day before. Broth and clear liquids. Lottsa liquids. Then the main flush mix starts. I gallon of water mixed into a container with a powder. An RX from the Gastro guy. And the usual Dulcolax (?) No cramps or pain.....but after 1 hour the movement started. By 9 PM it's over! Keep the fluids going as long as I could stand it until 12 midnight. Fluids after that might cause nausea when awakening from the sleepy time (IV). The only way to go.

Some of the preps mentioned here are hard to believe that the gastro guy could see a completely clean colon.

And POBY the Philippines is the last place on earth I would want to be for cancer treatment. I knew many friends of my wife and a close friend (American) who died there from the treatment. The docs go wild with the chemo over there. There are extremely important tests that must be performed before starting Chemo. Bone marrow and your heart health. Can you make red blood cells?? Can your heart take the stress that the lethal chemicals are going to attack your system?

I survived my Lymphoma cancer here in the USA. And it was not goodness. Needed shots to force the body to make red blood cells. Pain right to the bones for hours. This happened after my wife gave birth to our son. She STILL does not understand why I wasn't so excited. Maybe if I wasn't being slowly killed by the chemo, I might be joyful. It was the worst time of my life EVER!!!.

Fred

tim

I have my colonoscopy planned for the 14th... my 3rd... not fun ... ask doctor if I was going to be put out he said no I would get something local. I ask if I could take a few of my pain pills before I show up and he ask why ? I told him because I was going to have a snake crammed up my ass...he laught and said why not... heartless basturb... :snap:

sperry

im going in for one on Friday.  Its my 6th or 7th.

my father dies of colon cancer, as did his sister when she was in her mid 30s.

I will be every surprised if they dont find polyps.

Im not taking fleet this time as it has caused irreversible kidney damage in some case in the past (though rare)

asked quack about 3rd world conoloscopies.  his reply was removing sessile polyps is a skilled job, with definite risk of perforation. Definitely have it done in first world by expert.

and i bet even filipinas would baulk att the idea of shagging a guy with a bag of turds hanging off his side.

im astonsihed that people put off having it done, or would recommend a doctor after OP experience.   but no worries, darwinism is effective for keeping these genes out of future generations.

as far as i am concerned they saved my life

• Like 1

Maybe Next Yr

I had my 1st colonoscopy last month (age 65) here in the US,  my medical provider recommended sigmoidoscopy prior to 65 (I had 2 done, age 55 and 60).  These go into the lower colon only (not as high up).   

For the colonoscopy I had to fast for 24 hours near the end of the fasting day I took "the stuff" and then again in the morning (5 hours before the procedure) ... really cleared it out do that the floor out of my ass looked like piss.  :moon:  I think I'm good for another 10 years.

hoz

I've had 3 in the US. This last one was part of my annual deductible and cost me $1900.00. I'm still paying installments. 

I might have to come to Cebu for my next colonoscopy especially if I can get the pretty lady Doc to do the honors..