Sign in to follow this  
poby

Cebu colonoscopy - my experience. (warning graphic content)

Lordblacknail

Whenever I go in for something like this, where there is a lot of pre procedure and everybody standing around, I always ask, in my best Bubba voice, Hey, What You'll doing that for? I only came in here to have my toenail removed? You can hear a pin drop.

I have a mild case of a disease that requires me to have this procedure frequently like every two years. I hate the laxative part, but like you say, you don't remember much of the procedure.

I will never forget when I woke up in the recovery room after having my first one, for pretty much the same reasons you did, the nurse looks at me and says you have a disease, and I remember clearly thinking to my self, ok give me a shot or a prescription and send me home. Then she continued. And it is incurable. If that doesn't get your attention, nothing will.

• Like 1

Cipro

Did you get a kiss? Hug? Anything?

jtmwatchbiz

I'm awake but no longer care about what's happening.

have you been reading my diary? :)

• Like 1

Skywalker

Then she continued. And it is incurable.

Nice bedside manner that one has!

ozboy

Ha ha...must be the abruptness here..I had just come out of ICU n relaxing in room when a doc. id never met but must have been a secondary expert, walked half way in and said ''Sir, you have COPD Stage 4 and there is no cure, so i suggest you go back to your country'' then walked out, leaving me speechless lol

Davaoeno

Here in the states I've been told that without any unusual medical history once every 5 years is the recommendation (my health care provider).

That is exactly the same in Canada.  Start at age 50 and every 5 years after that.   They always us an IV sedative.  YOu are supposed to be semi conscious and aware what is happening  but I never remember a thing until i wake up in the recovery room

Headshot

Ha ha...must be the abruptness here..I had just come out of ICU n relaxing in room when a doc. id never met but must have been a secondary expert, walked half way in and said ''Sir, you have COPD Stage 4 and there is no cure, so i suggest you go back to your country'' then walked out, leaving me speechless lol

Dang...they found that performing a colonoscopy?  :hyper:

questsea73

If you do the research on what some of the bad things that can happen to you if things go wrong during this procedure considered routine by many doctors you will want to have it done in a country where you have big medical dollar coverage and access to effective malpractice avenues to try to take care of the medical conditition created by the doctor/anesthisiaologist/staff.  (I have had 2 of these procedures in USA, now at age 70).

Ken

sperry

If you do the research on what some of the bad things that can happen to you if things go wrong during this procedure considered routine by many doctors you will want to have it done in a country where you have big medical dollar coverage and access to effective malpractice avenues to try to take care of the medical conditition created by the doctor/anesthisiaologist/staff.  (I have had 2 of these procedures in USA, now at age 70).

Ken

yes.

i must say I dont share the OP recommendation at all.

there is a risk in the procedure, amongst others perforated colon/bowel, hep C if the "probe" isnt sterilised correctly, and I have also heard of nasty internal burns when the hot tools they use ignited a fart.

also removing sessile polyps can be a difficult job and requires a certian amount of dexterity. if they arent removed correctly the first time they can be very difficult to remove later on

so in OP case he will have to through 100% of the unpleasantness and danger in one year just because the doctor could not be bothered prescribling the prep correctly. IMHO such a lackadaisical approach could easily mean she is as careless removing the polyps.

after this experience, I wont get my next one in cebu. I will be in civilisation. 100% sure.

finally ive heard is safer to be semi conscious as that way you can scream in pain before the probe goes through the side of your colon.  but im a baby so i ask for my lights out.

fwiw i have had 5

Edited by sperry

batman2525

and I have also heard of nasty internal burns when the hot tools they use ignited a fart.

Really...

gasturbine

Yes Dr. Lim is very good doctor. My wife had a colonoscopy done by her and I did as well. Both procedures were painless and done in a very professional manner. However, I must take issue on the statement the Endoscopy lab is not up to standard. I just had my colonoscopy this year and the lab was modern clean and well equipped. However a word of warning on the prep Fleets Phospor Soda. It has been banned for colonoscopy preps in the USA due its tendency to cause kidney failure.  I have had 6 colonoscopy's but refused to use the Fleets this past  time. A very easy painless prep is the ducolax ,MIralax prep. You take 8oz of Miralax or Purelax plus 2 to 4 ducolax tablets. I only used 2. You take  it with lemon lime Gatorade and it is a non event no foul taste almost like drinking  Gatorade only .  However, you should definitely  fast the day before the procedure. I cut my food intake 3 days prior to procedure to be sure I was toally empty.  David

• Like 2

Jawny

Thanks David. I share your opinion of the facility at Chung Hua. As to the prep, I don't recall the fleets phosphor soda but do recall the ducolax. My doctor was Rudi Go. I am interested in your recommendation of Dr Lim and assume she is in the medical arts facility?

Not sure fasting would serve that much purpose as the contents take so long to pass.

Years ago I had a prep done at a western facility and the nurse would examine the contents until there were three clear movements (there was a warning this would be graphic). After several hours of this prep, and three clear movements......whoops, along comes a special delivery. It surprised her but we just waited a bit longer before the prep was considered complete. I got the impression she was "graded" by the physician as to how well the prep was done.

Lighting farts? Now that's an entertaining aspect to add to the mix of real and unrealistic fears.

How about this one? I was going to have a colonoscopy done at a provincial facility but the physician did not have the equipment available which would allow polyp removal. So, it could have resulted in two exams. Besides, the doctor advised me that the facility is under renovation and they had a brown out during his last exam. He preferred I use the Chung Hua facility.

Jack_be_nimble

Thanks, Poby, for starting this thread.  It's puts the thought back in my head.

18 months ago, while still in the US, I went to have to done, followed the prep instructions to the letter, emptied out all night before.  While being prepped for the OR ( i.v., etc) I got the impression they were super busy, and had many queued up for the proceedure - that made me nervous because if the staff feels 'rushed' mistakes can happen.

Anyway, I got wheeled in, put to sleep. Next thing I remember I was in recovery.  I was told they couldn't perform/complete the proceedure because they said I was not 100% cleaned out and claimed I did not follow instructions. Total BS !!!!

I also had a very, very bad dizzy spell hours after, dry heaves, etc.  I also experienced bleading for 2 days after the procedure.

And if that wasn't bad enough, I had problems with my insurance co. trying to avoid payment ( I was charged for the procedure anyway). I had called them before signing up for the procedure and asked if it was covered, ins rep told me yes.  But when I asked after claim was denied, they said, "You have a history in your family of cancer, so no coverage".   I did manage to win on appeal though.  After they paid, I dropped them.

I've been fine since, but, still have not mentally gotten myself to the point for trying it again.  I was thinking of a visit to Thailand to have it done, now that I'm living close by here in the RP.

Edited by Jack_be_nimble

Kabisay-an gid

Anybody wanting to have this procedure done in the Philippines needs to make darn sure they have it done in a top-notch medical facility. If that means traveling to Manila, then do it.

I know of a guy in the States who died from complications of a botched colonoscopy. I'm betting the chances of a botched procedure are noticeably higher in the Phils.

Salty Dog

crack_xlarge.jpeg