Sign in to follow this  
poby

Cebu colonoscopy - my experience. (warning graphic content)

Contango

Yes thanks for this thread poby, you have motivated me to at least put some colon action on my to do list.

afmayer

My mom died due to colon cancer. I do not know how long you would have it before it kills you. But, she died about 68 years of age.

If your Mom died of colon cancer at 68, you should immediately (if not sooner) schedule a colonoscopy as you have a genetic predisposition. I forget your exact age (40-45?) but colon cancer can strike as young as the 30's.

• Like 1

batman2525

I had this done about 18 months ago here in the UK

Hi,

Did you get this done on the NHS?

• Like 1

HTM

Total cost was 13000 php plus 1200 for the polyp biopsy

How much was covered by PhilHealth?

Paul

If your Mom died of colon cancer at 68, you should immediately (if not sooner) schedule a colonoscopy as you have a genetic predisposition. I forget your exact age (40-45?) but colon cancer can strike as young as the 30's.

I'm 47, currently. 48 next June.

sperry

interesting to see how you did the prep.

when I've had mine, I have to drink two litres of prep just before I go to hospital.

four litres the night before with no time limit.

the liquid is much easier to get down if you flavour it with a fruit syrup.

If you havent had one done and you are thinking of it, then get your mortgage applications and life insurance policies before you do.

these will be MUCH more expensive (and sometimes refused) if polyps are found.

the operation isnt risk free;

if you have sessile polyps there is a good chance they will grow back as they are hard to remove;

afmayer

I'm 47, currently. 48 next June.

I have had several done already. The worst part is drinking huge amounts of foul tasting/smelling liquid the night before... and having to hang out on the toilet for the next 8-10 hours. The best part is the drug (usually propofol) they give you which puts you in a dreamlike (not quite unconsciousness, but not aware of much) state/trance. Most people don't even realize they had the procedure. It is no big deal... get it done so you can stop worrying.

• Like 2

Scruffydog

Everyone should have a colonoscopy once they hit 50.  It's the best prophylactic measure to avoid dying of colon cancer, which usually has no substantive symptoms until you are dead man walking.

However, like most people, I am averse to having my ass violated by a 4 foot dildo, even when it's for my own good. So I've been putting it off.  Recently, I've observed some unusual dark red material where there was none before, such occurring regularly over the past month or so.  Hence my reluctant decision to get this procedure done.

After considerable thought and investigation, I decided to get it done here in cebu.  In Australia it would cost me nothing and probably less chance of catastrophic complications, but seems a bit silly to fly all the way back there just for a simple anal raping procedure, and then fly back again.  I also considered what if it was cancer.  What would I do?  I decided if it was, I would rather find out about it here and get it treated here.  For the sole reason that despite the increased risks, I want to be with my Mrs, especially if I'm facing a possibly terminal event.  Better a shorter life with her by my side than a longer one without her.

Anyway, on to the main event...

I found a gastroenterologist/internist recommended by someone online as being good with their colonoscopy, and that being the only recommendation I found, I chose to go see her.  She turned out to be a rather attractive young lady with impeccable english.  I asked how many of these had she done and she said, no idea but well into the hundreds.  Had she ever had any complications?  Not so far.  I was surprised she was able to schedule the procedure for 8am the following morning.  I thought 24 hours of drastic prep time was required - liquid diet etc.  But actually, she said I could eat a normal dinner and just take some disgusting tasting phospho sodium at 7pm and 8pm and drink lots and lots of water or sprite.

The laxative seemed to do little until I woke up at 3am and that's when the evacuation began.  Pretty much continued until 5am when I was due to insert a couple of dulcolax suppositories.  That was about as much fun as you can imagine.  The anal squirting continued for another hour or so and then we headed off to the old chong hua building C.  Incidentally, I wish I had drunk a lot more sprite/water cos I was extremely thirsty at this stage but no liquids allowed after midnight.  Bear this in mind, if you have similar instructions. Get as much water into you as you can stomach before the cutoff time.

Chong Hua building C 2nd floor endoscopy unit is old and not as well lit as a modern facility.  Which gives an initial impression of uncleanness.  But if you actually look more closely, it does seem to be quite clean.  (The same certainly can't be said for chong hua medical arts building!)

Arrived there with 15 minutes to spare; the nice lady doctor arrived 15 minutes late and then there was a further delay as all the operating rooms were busy.  All the paperwork was done and forms signed and finally in to business by 9am. Gowned up, tabled and IV needle stuck into the back of my hand and then wheeled into the scary room with the machines that go "ping" and gowned/masked people.  I was impatient for the drugs as I'd never had anything like this before and wanted to be off in lala land asap.  They stuck the oxygen tubes thing in my nostrils, had me roll onto my side and then were about to put the drugs in at which time I no longer remember much until waking up in recovery.

I have a vague memory of pain and discomfort, like a dimly remembered dream.  But no pain on waking.  Just lingering short term memory loss.  Mrs was there when I woke up and she told me the doctor had talked to her with the results being a bleeding internal hemorrhoid.  Some polyps were removed and sent to biopsy.

Reading the results, "Limitation of Examination" included "Tortuous colon".  This is apparently caused by too much junk food/not enough fibre.  Decades ago, that was my life but despite having long since changed my wicked dietary ways, the affect lingers.  Doesn't cause cancer or anything but makes the doctor's job harder to navigate the instrument around all the twists and turns.  Also mentioned was still some fecal matter present in parts of the colon.  This was despite following the prep advice to the letter.  Some people say I'm full of shit, now there's proof!

Given the above, I will probably have it done again in a year or so, especially as having done it once, I'm no longer nervous about it.  The whole thing including the prep time, was more of a nuisance than a pain.  Total cost was 13000 php plus 1200 for the polyp biopsy.  Have been prescribed medication for the bleeding hemorrhoid, biopsy result ready in 5 days, doctor said to come back in 2 weeks.

I've written all this in the hope that it might be useful to some, especially given the average expat age is likely to be in the range where they really should have this done. And having it done in Philippines is not as bad as you might think.  At least in my experience.

I'm happy to recommend my doctor:

Dr Lou Angelique Dy-Limquiaco.

Chong Hua Medical Arts Center

Rm 302

10AM - 12noon

3pm - 5pm

I just had one here in the U.s same experience but the total cost was over 4k. Just the DOC was 1,500 US.  

I did have a belly full of gas after

I did,nt realise they knocked you out for that op ,well iv,e been knocked out 4 times for the operations iv,e had and I get this horrible nightmare of not waking up ever again ,which why I started crying like a baby on the operating table 7 years ago lol.now am at the big 50 I also need to think about this op to be on the safe side as iv,e been eating mcdonalds all my life lol.

I am 52 and had been dreading it..I  was out cold and do not remember it all.Nothing to it

• Like 1

philuk

Hi,

Did you get this done on the NHS?

Hi batman, yes was done on the NHS, i had been on very strong pain killers for very painful shoulders for about a year, when i came off them i had a painful lower abdomen just above the clever bits, they found nothing wrong at all, turned out i had strained myself from being constipated from the pain killers, can still be a little tender even now,

Advise to all if you have problem shoulders like I do, (due to what i do for a living) dont be fobbed off with pain killer, demand a cortisone injection,

• Like 1

Paddy

I recently had a gastric endoscopy here. In the initial few minutes before I went out like a light, the doctor discovered that I had never had a colonoscopy. He seemed to be insisting that I set up an appointment on my way out. It actually felt like he needed to make a payment on his yacht. I declined to set up the appointment but I did speak to my GP the next day.

Screening for colon cancer should begin based on age at 50 (other factors could mean sooner). A colonoscopy is the gold standard for the screening and it is not without risk (fairly low level for an invasive procedure). A pamphlet I was reading before the endoscopy suggested about 1 in 1000 patients might experience some complications from a colonoscopy.

There are non-invasive alternatives although these are not obviously as "good" as the colonoscopy. One such used in Canada is stool testing and I have done this one. The procedure for collecting the sample(s) for analysis is tedious and a little gross, but it is easy. No laxatives or other preparation required. Just the ability to "catch/float" the stools long enough to get the samples.  

So, if you are over 50, get screened. If you cannot face the thought of a colonoscopy, at least get screened by one of the non-invasive alternatives.

Now...who is going to start the cystoscopy thread?

Maybe Next Yr

Given the above, I will probably have it done again in a year or so

Here in the states I've been told that without any unusual medical history once every 5 years is the recommendation (my health care provider).

• Like 1

ellenbrook2001

oh nice too know you where quiet happy in Chong Hua building a did have the procedure years ago in AUSTRALIA  but they did give me that yellow liquid too drink the night before?

but in your case would be better in AUSTRALIA free from Medicare then if you did have bad news maybe you could get medication free but do not know your case for me they did cut my concession card no more free prescription?

sure that fine too have it here but if his a bad new  can we get access the right treatment???

thanks anywhere for the information.

ozboy

Really great n timely topic...I noticed a bit of rectal bleeding yesterday and did a bit of research...from what I can gather it could be as simple as hemmorhoids or burst vein etc or possible early stages of colon cancer......so would it be safe enough if I had the test in 2 months from now back in Oz or check it now?

afmayer

Really great n timely topic...I noticed a bit of rectal bleeding yesterday and did a bit of research...from what I can gather it could be as simple as hemmorhoids or burst vein etc or possible early stages of colon cancer......so would it be safe enough if I had the test in 2 months from now back in Oz or check it now?

If it is hemorrhoids a simple check will do. Most physicians can tell if the bleeding is local to the mouth of the anus or not. I would get a local (phils) check immediately... if they can't tell (or don't know) get a colonoscopy immediately... better safe than sorry...

poby

In most cases, the cause of rectal bleeding is not cancer, especially if it is bright red which might mean a hemorrhoid near the exit.  Dark red or black streaks that occur more or less consistently are more concerning as they indicate a bleeder higher up in the system.  But the only way to be sure is to see a doctor and if he has doubts then a colonoscopy.  I'm certainly not going to advise you to wait but if I were you, I would look at my age and family/medical history and weigh up the risk of waiting vs the likelihood of cancer.  In my case, I am just over 50, no family history of colon cancer but the evidence was dark red streaks consistent over weeks and my return to Australia is next year. Also on my mind was that I never had a colonoscopy before and even if turned out to be harmless, everyone should have one done when they around 50.

A colonoscopy would be safer (and cheaper) in Australia but only you can decide whether to wait a couple of months or not.  The best approach I suggest is to see a doctor here and take into account what he suggests.