Sign in to follow this  
poby

Cebu colonoscopy - my experience. (warning graphic content)

tokyoman

A great post!

My Uncle has colon cancer because he did not take that important check up.

philuk

great thread poby,

I had this done about 18 months ago here in the UK, not at all painful just a little discomfort, it is easier without the sedation as the doctor needs for you to roll one way then the other in order to get the thing where it should be, my guy was a pretty good driver, and all the time you can watch it all on TV,

I found the worst part of the whole experience was the bowel prep you have to take before hand, man that stuff works well any water yo drink just goes straigh through like a fire hose flushing you out,

Glad your outcome was not life threatening, But like you i would recomend any member to have it done especially if there are signs of anything slightly out of the ordinary,

Anything found, treated early, gives you the best possible chance of recovery

• Like 1

Half Baked

She turned out to be a rather attractive young lady....

....hmmm, MY FRIEND is quite a bit younger than 50.... but "one can never be too cautious!" ;) BTW, how many of these procedures can MY FRIEND get in, say, a weekend?! lol

panther

I did,nt realise they knocked you out for that op ,well iv,e been knocked out 4 times for the operations iv,e had and I get this horrible nightmare of not waking up ever again ,which why I started crying like a baby on the operating table 7 years ago lol.now am at the big 50 I also need to think about this op to be on the safe side as iv,e been eating mcdonalds all my life lol.

mexiwi

I am due for one, will schedule it in the next week or 2 when I get home to Aus.

I am 42 but have been getting them since I was 30 due my Dad having bowel cancer, and his Dad, and his Dad's Dad, you get the picture.

The prep is much worse than the actual camera up the freckle.

poby

Yeah, everyone says the prep is worse than the procedure.  I actually found both to be quite ordinary.  It wasn't like cramping diarrhea etc.  Rather more like peeing out of your ass.  No pain, no suffering, just tedious.

I did,nt realise they knocked you out for that op

They didn't knock me out as such.  They used Midazolam which is a sedative and supposedly I'm awake but no longer care about what's happening.  However I have no memory of the procedure.  My last memory is of them about to put the drug into my IV.  Next I know, I'm waking up in recovery but with a strange distant dream of pain and discomfort.  Hard to describe... I can remember having toothache for example but this dream is way more distant and indistinct.

• Like 1

Paul

My mom died due to colon cancer. I do not know how long you would have it before it kills you. But, she died about 68 years of age. 

Does anyone know about how long a person generally has, once they get colon cancer, to live? 

I will start having these done at 50, yearly as well. That is, if I live that long to begin with.

So, Dave, how do you feel, now that you are no longer an anal virgin? Do you think you would make it in prison? :D

• Like 2

hyaku

I wasn't put out either. Lay on my side and watched it all on the screen. Had 15 Jpn doctors as an audience who were used to looking at brown leathery colons as opposed to pink and wanted proof that Westerners colons are shorter. Bit embarrassing as they pumped in air to expand. Never farted so much in my life.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1

poby

Apparently 1 in 10 polyps will turn into cancer eventually but will take 10 years to get there.  That's why its a cancer so easily preventable with a colonoscopy.  They just snip snip while inside which doesn't hurt at all.  If no polyps then pretty much no cancer.  Supposedly you should get it done every few years once you hit 50 but even getting it done just once, drastically reduces the cancer risk.  I will get it done again in a year or so cos some areas, were hidden by stuff that hadn't totally evacuated the area. And there was a polyp right adjacent to the hemorrhoid that she couldn't snip due to the proximity.

So, Dave, how do you feel, now that you are no longer an anal virgin? Do you think you would make it in prison?

I can only say that ladyboys and their ilk, I assume would be totally not scared of this procedure.  But for those of us heretofore anal virgins, it only reinforces our choice of gender playmates.  I really can't imagine how anyone can enjoy driving the wrong way up that one way street!

• Like 1

CardiacKid

My wife's sister died of colon cancer last April 24. She was 50 yrs old. She had noticed symptoms such as anal bleeding and pain but refused to see a doctor. By the time the pain grew to the point that she could no longer rationalize it, she was in stage 4 and it had spread throughout her abdomen. A colonoscopy may have detected it if she had one done. My wife had one done and Thank God, she is cancer free. Recommendation now is to get one done at 40.

• Like 1

Jawny

Thanks poby for a useful and informative post.  I've had two colonoscopies done, more or less ten years apart.  The last one was done at Chung Hua, though with a different doctor. 

You gave a nice summary and described my experience pretty much the same.  I understand there are some differences in the procedure at Doctor's Hospital in Cebu, but more related to the prep.  For myself, I don't think they started the bowel cleansing soon enough.  I had an overnight as you did, but it did not clean me out as much as the process I had done a decade ago.  There was no laxative given until late in the night and it was mild.  Around 3 AM or so is when the movements began, but I am pretty sure it was not complete.  

The one I had a decade ago was in a western facility and i was monitored by an attending nurse during the prep.  She examined each batch (no need to get too graphic here).  Her goal was to be sure i was properly prepped.

Here, the only thing the nurses did was give me the meds.

Good luck to you on the biopsy result.  

As to Paul's query, the condition of colon cancer can be rapidly fatal, but that is a bit misleading.  That's like saying the bullet that got you was quick, but it actually took a long time to get there.  From what I know, the condition is easily detected by a colonoscopy and can be treated, if detected.  

My own father neglected a colonoscopy until he was in his 90s.  It revealed cancer and within a few months he died.  If he had check ups prior to that, he may have been spared the surprise ending.

There are some risks to the procedure, and these should be known by the members.  A simple google search will reveal a great deal.  Unfortunately, here, doctors leave the bad news and risks out of the discussion. I strongly suggest becoming informed prior to the consultation. 

There are colonoscopies which are just a show and tell experience.  It is far better to have the procedure done at a facility which can do the polyp removal as well.  

There is also a "virtual colonoscopy" available here which uses a dye and an MRI to examine the patient.  No invasive technique.  Good to have if there are no polyps found.  But, if there are polyps detected, a second procedure needs to be done to remove the polyps.  As well, the MRI can miss the smaller polyps.

The cost was similar as I recall.  I was stressed a bit so I had an anesthesiologist who administered a sedative.  Added to the cost just as it would with a surgery.

When I was wheeled into the endoscopy area, my initial impression was negative as I lay awaiting my turn.  What I first saw was a holding area.  Primitive, not especially "surgical looking".  Then I was wheeled into the actual endoscopy area and it was similar to an operating room.  I felt safe and confident they were set up to do a good job.

I did not remember a thing.  

I also had a gastric endoscopy and glad I did.  As I was waiting for the procedure to begin, the doctor asked me if I wanted to have a gastric endoscopy as well.  It surprised me, but made perfect sense as I was already in the endoscopy unit and would be sedated etc.

Glad I made that choice as he detected and removed some stomach polyps.

There was an additional cost for the second procedure. Again, I don't recall he amount, but it was all reasonable.  Way less cost than in a western hospital/clinic.

As to the posters who feel they need to poke fun, go for it.  KInda immature, but, putting the gay sex jokes aside, the procedure is simple and not as bad as some might think.  

Paul, there is probably no need for annual colonoscopies.  Although it is a simple and safe procedure, there are risks and no need to have the exam more frequently unless the doctor suggests it with good reason. In my case, I have a faher who died of colon cancer, and even with that, the recommendation is not annual exams.

• Like 3

poby

My wife's sister died of colon cancer last April 24. She was 50 yrs old. She had noticed symptoms such as anal bleeding and pain but refused to see a doctor. By the time the pain grew to the point that she could no longer rationalize it, she was in stage 4 and it had spread throughout her abdomen. A colonoscopy may have detected it if she had one done. My wife had one done and Thank God, she is cancer free. Recommendation now is to get one done at 40.

Thats the especially sad thing about colon cancer, how easy it is to detect and prevent but too many people ignore the early signs.  Any kind of rectal bleeding needs to be investigated.  In most cases, it's not cancer but ignoring should not be an option.  Colonoscopy sounds terribly invasive and unpleasant but it's really no big deal and is very effective not only to catch early cancer but to prevent future cancers.

I'm just as guilty as many in that I turned 50 last year and knew I should be tested but kept putting it off. It was only the consistent appearance of what could only be dark blood that forced my hand.  How would I have felt if it had been cancer that would have been prevented if only I had got tested a year ago?!?

Most cancers, by the time it's painful enough to force people to the doctor, it's too late. I was lucky to have internal hemorrhoids, that scared me into a colonoscopy. Everyone should have a prophylactic colonoscopy by age 50 even without any symptoms.

The complications are rare (roughly 1 in every 400) but they are serious and potentially life threatening.  But the risk involved in not getting a colonoscopy is much worse.

I don't think a virtual colonoscopy is of much use.  It is less effective at catching things and if anything is seen, you need to have a colonoscopy anyway to remove it.  The prep is much same either way.

I will get it done again within 12 months because mine was incomplete for reasons already explained.  But in general its the first one that is most important.  After all the polyps are taken out, you probably don't need another for maybe 2 to 5 years depending on age and family history etc.

philuk

It has to be said that staying awake is the way to go. the tube is quit thin compared to what normaly comes out. There is no pain what so ever. besides no one is shoving anything up my ringpiece unless im there to see it.

poby

For myself, I don't think they started the bowel cleansing soon enough.

Yeah, next one I have, I will skip the last meal at least.  I was surprised that she said I could eat normal dinner the night before.  Next one I have I want to be totally cleaned out so as to avoid areas inside being hidden.

I'm very glad for the sedative.  I was nervous as heck and couldn't wait for the drugs to make everything ok.  I was surprised at the affect.  One moment, they about to insert the drugs into my IV, the next I'm waking up in recovery.  I suspect however, there was pain involved that I just don't remember because I have this vivid memory of a distant dream on waking that involved pain and discomfort.  Not being able to remember the pain somehow makes it ok though