I only went to the shop.

Britishandproud

Lol, It's because your ancestors brought it over. It's Cockney slang meaning difficult to deal with.

ummm duh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Britishandproud

• udonthani

• hyaku

• Wrye83

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was about 20 mins at the shop, her last message before I went shop was "she's doing something on the net" so I left her to it.   I came back with messages of her being in a little strop, Which I fo

good thing the OP finds it amusing. what's not amusing is him referring to this chatter as his girlfriend. 

Obviously  she was sitting there waiting for you to talk to her and you are absolutley indifferent to her  needs . I think she needs to find a new boyfriend      And I think  your publicizing priva

Posted Images

mikejwoodnz

there can't be many members like you, from the Pitcairn Islands.

also used as in "don't get stroppy with me" (Don't get feisty with me) and to someone displaying aggression towards you as in "feck off you stroppy beaver !" 

stroppy is not cockney slang. It is generalised British slang.

I was always told by cockneys about words we used everywhere that they tagged as their own. But Ozzie's do the same with words brought over from London Jails.

udonthani

I was always told by cockneys about words we used everywhere that they tagged as their own. But Ozzie's do the same with words brought over from London Jails.

cockney slang is usually rhyming slang http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyming_slang

one of the many theories as to how it came about is that was developed by London criminals so any police listening in would not be able to tell what they were talking about, so I would suppose it must have had many speakers who got transported to Australia.

Edited by udonthani

A bit late to the party, but from what I can gather, she was fiddling around with her computer, not actively chatting, and you decided to go to the shop.  She was annoyed you'd disappeared for 20 minutes.  This is known as a "misunderstanding" to those those conversant with the term.  All couples have them, usually they result in rules such as "don't go offline for more than 5 minutes without saying why you're going".  Why OP decided to post it here, I have no idea, but obviously at 5 pages, it was worth it.  I do find it amusing that people saying he should run, people who have had more marriages than cars.

And yes, we have "stroppy" in New Zealand too, meaning aggravated, annoyed.

Well if she's narked if he shops I hate to think what will happen if wants to have a drink with the boys.

I'm computer crazy for games, education, communication etc. Because of the way Filipina use a comp my partner was convinced I must be chatting with the comment, "You must be chatting to someone". Strikes me that they sometimes judge us on what they would do themselves.

• Like 2
Britishandproud

I was playing the new grand theft auto while speaking to her. So my replys were slower. Her and her friend were eating (she didn't eat at work due to someone dying) then without telling her, I turned it off. Then I said what you doing after and she said doing something on computer (she uploaded a picture to Facebook of what her an her friend was eating late at night) I didn't bother to reply and left her to it. I put my phone on charge (you can see on the picture it was on charge) then went shop. She sent messages an I didn't reply till I went shop and went to get my phone. She thought I was ignoring her and too busy on the game.

As you can see I thought it was funny the way something little like that, had her sounding like I hadn't spoke for ages lol.

And just a side note on people thinking it was bad of me to post the conversation, What is the difference when someone speaks about real problems they having in there relationship? Isn't that more personal to share?

They come here to get advice and some of you have been in similar situations. That's why this forum is good.

It's just harmless.

Your playing computer games, seriously how old are you? Each to their own I guess...

Anyway, posting the chat messages isn't a great move. I reckon you need to reasses whether you can handle being with some one who can be easily emotional like this.

Edited by Ricky
Britishandproud
Your playing computer games, seriously how old are you? Each to their own I guess...

Anyway, posting the chat messages isn't a great move. I reckon you need to reasses whether you can handle being with some one who can be easily emotional like this.[/quote

I'm 23 and there's no age limit on games.

Britishandproud

Anyway, posting the chat messages isn't a great move. I reckon you need to reasses whether you can handle being with some one who can be easily emotional like this.

She can also be mean.

post-15008-137977886043_thumb.jpg

I'm 67 and use my tablet for games. 100 doors, 100 floors, and other logic puzzles.

Don't have the reflexes any more for hand eye coordination ones.

• Like 1

Don't think they get any better as they get older. Used a new term of affection once. She went ballistic, since I'd never said that to her she assumed I thought I was taking with someone else.

She was 39 by the way.

• Like 2

amusing that this guy thinks that Filipinos are going to understand what 'strop' means, when even loads of native English speakers are not going to have a clue.

however 'she went into a strop when I went to the shop', does at least rhyme.

amusing that this guy thinks that Filipinos are going to understand what 'strop' means, when even loads of native English speakers are not going to have a clue.

however 'she went into a strop when I went to the shop', does at least rhyme.

Must admit that I had no idea what this post was about at first.  I assumed the OP was an Aussie and trying to decipher the message without the code-book would be an exercise in futility. In retrospect, I see that he is a Brit, and I DO have a UK code-book  :Yay: