Sign in to follow this  
JamesMusslewhite

Hempcrete and Coco-crete - Possible Atlternative to Hollow Block/ Concrete Construction

fred42

Is the rice husk you are using carbonized or not? Carbonized rice husk can be used as a replacement for concrete to a point without losing any strength, but not plain rice husks.

I`ll use  non carbonized rice husk.. I have used it in a 2 inch render coat on my wood fired oven.. Still there with no cracks!.. 

From memory carbonised rice husk actually strengthens Portland cement in a 10% ratio so lots to think about right there.

• Like 1

fred42

@ fred42,

Making Carbonized Rice Husk is easy to make and only takes 1-2 hours.

How to make your own carbonizer

Funny enough,I  built a rice husk cooker about 2 months ago.. It converts the gasses to a blue flame for cooking and produces excellent bio char..

Mine still doesn't have the top burner unit though.. Still trying to find a metal shop to give the design to..

819a80554f9cc33da2b351341b4f187162372f75

• Like 1

littlejohn

I thought those gasifier cookers were neat. Not generally available though.

fred42

Ive got mine going now.. Turn on the fan and it boils a kettle full up in about 5 mins..

One day I`ll build a proper husk gasifier that runs a genny for free power.. Like this.. 

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1175576323/2013_Advanced_biomass_gasifier_power_plant.html

Then I`ll open a husk char hollow block factory... This time next year Rodney!!

Who says it can get boring here?

Edited by fred42
  • Like 2

JamesMusslewhite

Any one thinking of doing a business making mud-clay bricks need to look at this rig in Laos. They are using a process for the extrusion of the finished mud-clay into elongated blocks where it is than slid to a hand-pulled brick cutting unit. the Unit cuts the elongated blocks into single bricks and slides them over onto a piece of wood that is them removed and stacked. I bet 3 men could make over 500-1000 unfired bricks a day..

• Like 3