Proposed law pertaining to marrying a Filipina

MarinePride

I posted the following in that article:

I predict this proposed legislation is going to run out of steam pretty quickly. It will never see the light of day.

Don't get me wrong here. In the past, I have been a strong supporter of Rep. Gwen Garcia, during her time as Governor of Cebu. But, I feel this is going too far to help protect Filipinos from foreigners.

As a member of my Cebu forum suggested, you should start legislation first, that makes it mandatory for the Filipino father of a child(ren) to be responsible, and to support those children.

Start at home, first.

• Like 2
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• TorJay

• hyaku

• MarinePride

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sure and liquid 250,000 us...???   i guess they can just stay and marry a trike driver and live the good life

oh   stage one get a foreigner with 250,000 Liquid assets  stage two get him to visit ... stage 3 get married .... i would like to see a law that Forces guys who get girls PG to support their children

I think for the most part the philippines benefited by the number of foreigners who not only married the local women  but married them knowing they already had children  and assumed the responsibility

For Real

Ask your wives.

This topic of foreigner exploitation is currently being played out on one of the soap opera's on the TV. 

It would be poetic that a piece of leglislation was seeded in a C grade soap 

• Like 1
Headshot

This is a great idea...really. Gwen just went after the wrong target. They should apply these rules to all Filipinos. I wonder how that proposal would go over? Does she actually think the only deadbeats in this country are foreigners? 

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

In addition, this would only apply to those who wish to marry. I would suppose there are more "deadbeats" (foreigners and Filipinos alike) have no intention of getting married to anybody than there are who wish to marry a Filipina. How would this stop "deadbeats" of any nationality from just living with Filipinas without marrying them? Would the Filipinas be better off then?

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

This is a great idea...really. Gwen just went after the wrong target. They should apply these rules to all Filipinos. I wonder how that proposal would go over? Does she actually think the only deadbeats in this country are foreigners? 

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

Yes she does because she knows they cannot vote whilst the home grown deadbeats do

• Like 1

... should start legislation first, that makes it mandatory for the Filipino father of a child(ren) to be responsible, and to support those children.

Good idea, of course, except that it starts from the premise that Filipinos should hold themselves responsible for the problems of the country. Filipinos seem to unwilling to admit that any of the country's problems are home-grown -- everything is somebody else's fault. Therefore, any proposal holding Filipinos responsible is a nonstarter.

Of course, this proposal is probably also going nowhere, as you and others note, but at least it allows Garcia to do a bit of foreigner-bashing, which is always good for one's political image.

• Like 4
JamesMusslewhite

perhaps they just want to try to protect their citizens from some of the low-life that come here with bad intentions.

It only seems like common sense. You want to travel here and marry a girl than one should have no problem showing them that you can support them, are not already married, and is not twisted or bent. There not asking for too much. The US government did the same when I brought my wife to the US on a fiance Visa in 1987. Big deal....

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

But they didn't require you to have $250,000. Don't know about the rest of you, but I've never had that much in liquid assists.

• Like 2

oh   stage one get a foreigner with 250,000 Liquid assets  stage two get him to visit ... stage 3 get married .... i would like to see a law that Forces guys who get girls PG to support their children  now that is a great law 

deadbeats ???  compared to who and what ?   Before i married my wife she lived on 5,000 peso a month and free food and raised 4 children ,, while her x and his mistress lived on much more how about putting some teeth in child support laws

So a woman would be able to sue the proven father of her child, right? Do you think they are going to continue paying once they lose the case and are asked to pay X,XXX pesos every month?

Ridiculous law. Those girls are prostitutes on their own, without the encouragement of American men. 

And it's stupid. All the Embassy has to do is add another paragraph to the legal capacity. Maybe the Cebu consular agent will actually look for proof of the statement, but the US Embassy in Manila won't. 

"I hereby certify that I am of good moral character and that I am currently employed as ___________________."

Sorted but nothing changes. The US Embassy doesn't verify anything about the legal capacity now(it doesn't have the system to do it) and that's why it's an affidavit. 

More than likely it's a case of some politically connected folks having some kind of business plan needing a law so they can expand/start raking in the $$$$$$$.

BTW, I wish the US would adopt some of the non-citizen restrictions RP has.

T

• Like 2

perhaps they just want to try to protect their citizens from some of the low-life that come here with bad intentions.

It only seems like common sense. You want to travel here and marry a girl than one should have no problem showing them that you can support them, are not already married, and is not twisted or bent. There not asking for too much. The US government did the same when I brought my wife to the US on a fiance Visa in 1987. Big deal....

I think for the most part the philippines benefited by the number of foreigners who not only married the local women  but married them knowing they already had children  and assumed the responsibility of the dead beat dads

• Like 5
Dragonladies.org

Garcia

noted that not a few of male foreigners' motive for marriage is to

exploit Filipino women by making them work and worse, by forcing them to

prostitution and other degrading and dehumanizing occupation--done thru

mail-order scheme, Facebook, and other social networking sites--has not

only caused untold misery and sufferings to Filipino women but also

brought dishonor and disgrace to Filipino womanhood.

Hmmm, making a Filipina work is a crime?   Please tell millions of OFWs that.

I do agree, being the wife of some of these guys has to be a degrading and dehumanizing occupation, but they enter into freely.

There is no real 'Mail Order' bride stuff going on now, unless both parties are doing various things illegally to bring it off.  (Like the 'trafficking thread recently)

I suggest if they are worried about the honor of Filipina womanhood, they shut down the sex tourism industry, and chase down the deadbeat pinoy sperm donors and make them pay support.

I know as far as the US Visa stuff goes, USCIS is kind of lax on enforcing a realistic income level for  getting a K1 visa for a bride.  I guess the formula they used is more geared for a resident immigrant type person to bring a bride back from the jungle of his home country, more that it is for a native US person to bring a lady from a developing country?

oh stage one get a foreigner with 250,000 Liquid assets stage two get him to visit ... stage 3 get married .... i would like to see a law that Forces guys who get girls PG to support their children now that is a great law

deadbeats ??? compared to who and what ? Before i married my wife she lived on 5,000 peso a month and free food and raised 4 children ,, while her x and his mistress lived on much more how about putting some teeth in child support laws

I didn't see anything in the article itself about having to have $250,000 worth of assets, just somebody's comment in the comment section.

Don't you already have to get a legal capacity to marry certificate? If you want to bring them to the US, USEM is going to require all of the things the bill proposes.

....I'm not sure this article shows everything this bill proposes. However the things it does mention U.S. men that want to marry a Filipina have to meet those qualifications anyway. I got my wife to The U.S. on a Fiance Visa and her sister came on a Spousal Visa. In both cases we were thoroughly interrogated by immigration before we were allowed to bring our wives here.

Ridiculous law. Those girls are prostitutes on their own, without the encouragement of American men.

Every Filipina that marries a foreigner is a prostitute??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:banghead: 

I believe the proposed law is directed at people like you.