Tracking Point System – Now Anyone Can Be A Deadly Sniper

Knowdafish

Knowdafish

http://wonderfulengineering.com/tracking-point-system-now-anyone-can-be-a-deadly-sniper

Tracking-Point-Xact-System4-610x423.jpg

We are talking about rifles today and in particular, a smart sniper system . Ask any gun enthusiast or hunter and he would tell you the same thing; the biggest error comes from the human taking the shot. Maybe he miscalculated or maybe he missed out on something. But they all agree on one point; human error while taking a shot exceeds all other errors. This particular rifle was designed keeping one goal in mind; to reduce this human error. Tracking Point Xact System is very easy; you need to mark the prey, the computer re-adjusts and calibrates as per the ground conditions and hunter rectifies his aim, finally taking the shot and scoring a perfect hit.

The rifle costs $22,000 and is available now in the market. The rifle makes use of a ballistics computer and a 13 MP camera along with a Linux powered scope and a unique heads up display which is used by the hunter to mark the target. The calculations of the computer are based on; air temperature, humidity and barrel incline. The computer then calibrates and re-adjusts the position of the cross-hair on screen. The hunter has to re-adjust accordingly and take the shot. This rifle has opened up many doors for the future firearms manufacturers.

"Hunting" just got a whole lot easier.  :lol: 

now how is that hunting ?? why not just use a M 79 grenade launcher 

• Like 5

now how is that hunting ?? why not just use a M 79 grenade launcher 

Gritty meat.

Now just hook it to a robot (which they are already working on/doing) and you can eliminate the human entirely.  Terminator, here we come!

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Most shots are missed in the pulling of the trigger. Slow steady finger pull while maintaining proper site alinement and a clean site picture.

• Like 2
Kabisay-an gid

It says nothing about the device being able to calculate windage. Perhaps just an omission by the author of the article, but if it doesn't calculate windage, there are still going to be plenty of misses. So at this time, I'm skeptical it will make "anyone" a "deadly sniper".

At 22 grand, I don't foresee many civilians buying one. It will end up primarily in the hands of the military and law enforcement agencies.

• Like 1

It says nothing about the device being able to calculate windage. Perhaps just an omission by the author of the article, but if it doesn't calculate windage, there are still going to be plenty of misses. So at this time, I'm skeptical it will make "anyone" a "deadly sniper".

At 22 grand, I don't foresee many civilians buying one. It will end up primarily in the hands of the military and law enforcement agencies.

maybe it will be a lot cheaper to just use an M-60 for deer hunting 

I haven't read about this specific model but I read about a similar one a few years back that (at that time) was only available to military.  It did calculate windage.

They were working on entirely robotic platforms that could be air dropped into an area and either be controlled remotely or work on its own through ai. The scope eliminates the trig, the platform eliminates the other problem that James mentioned...human error. No controlled breaths, no keeping the heart rate low, no smooth trigger pulls, etc. Hook some batteries and solar cells to it and it can sit in the field for a long time...no hunger, thirst, or pissing in your uniform. This was about 6ish yrs or so ago so I wouldn't be surprised if they have working models now.

• Like 1

It has a wind input, but of course that isn't measuring all the points downrange.

and what about this nice unit 

post-35-0-36681700-1379218971_thumb.jpg

and here is one for james also controls the tv 

post-35-0-31851100-1379219035_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It has a wind input, but of course that isn't measuring all the points downrange.

The one I had seen (which I've forgotten the name of) was somehow able to measure the wind at various points downrange. I'm not sure what tech they used but if I recall they were somehow using lasers in the process.

War will be resembling video games more and more. People sitting in front of computers using joysticks. I've been training for this my entire life.... :P

JSL-USMC

Most shots are missed in the pulling of the trigger. Slow steady finger pull while maintaining proper site alinement and a clean site picture.

BRASS

Edited by BGGruff
Knowdafish

and here is one for james also controls the tv 

post-35-0-31851100-1379219035.jpg

I wonder if it comes preprogrammed with all the cop and detective shows?  :hi:

JSL-USMC

Several good novels by Stephen Hunter about a sniper and sniping. They are based, loosely, on a Marine sniper of Vietnam era. Stephen Hunter is  gun enthusiast and the books are well researched...I think. The stories ratchet back and forth from Vietnam to present day.