Sign in to follow this  
blaze pontaine

20,000 Php reward for whoever can find me a beach resort with these requirments

blaze pontaine

The beach resort I've spent alot of time at the past 5 years has new ownership and will now focus on Korean package tourist divers, needless to say i'm looking for a new resort.

Whoever first mentions the name of the resort where I end up laying my head will receive a 20,000 peso reward.  I've ran 2 USD/PHP contests where the winners received dinner at ayala and I used to have a hotel discount program through this forum.  Basically what i'm saying, I'm good for the money, I will Paypal it and post a trip report about my stay. 

You will probably think some of my requirements are strange, but we all have our idiosyncratic preferences. None of my requirements are absolute, and of course I expect to pay more for higher quality. 

Time:

2-3 month stay in 2014

On the beach, in the Visayas. The room/cottage/nipa hut must be within 20 meters of the sand.  Its ok if I have to walk down some stairs but I don't want to have  to cross a street or walk any distance to reach the sand and water. 

I prefer small islands like Bantayan, Siquior, Camotes, Camiguin, Moalboal, Guimaras, Panglao and of course Boracay.  I'm not opposed to mainland places in the Visayas if they are good.  Sorry, can't do Palawan.

Beach Quality:

I know resorts with premium white sugar sand are going to cost more.  As long as the beach is sandy - not rocky or muddy - it will be good enough.  Also, I don't want a beach that has alot of seagrass or seaweed.  Most importantly, please no beaches where I need to walk 500 meters out at low tide to reach water. 

Ownership:

Must be owned by a foreigner who is always present at the resort.  Preferably American, but Germans, Aussies, and Brits are ok too.  

Resort size:

5-30 rooms.  Anything smaller and it feels like i'm staying at someone's house, anything bigger and large groups of European divers tend to stampede through the resort in Speedos every now and then.

Room type:

An ocean view isn't necessary, neither is a TV, aircon, or daily housekeeping.  What I do need is a refridgerator, Wifi, and a private CR with a hot shower. 

Restaurant:

Must have a nice restaurant on site with a good selection of western food.  Many smaller resorts with restaurants have menus where most of the food is OSS (out of stock sir) - especially in the slow season.  I plan to eat half my meals at the resort restaurant, so a tasty restaurant with an in stock menu is very important. 

Price:

If a room costs 2k per night, it is usually about 30k per month.  There seems to be a standard 50% reduction for monthly stays, assuming cash is paid up front.  My budget for rent is 15-20k per month.  Also, I would like to negotiate with the resort owner (which is why I prefer foreigners) for a further discount if I spend 15-20k per month at the resort restaurant.  If the resort has a diveshop even better, I would spend another 15-20k per month diving. 

For example, a room that is 2k per night and 30k per month, I would offer the owner 45k up front for a month.  15k for the room, 15k credit in the restaurant, and 15k credit for diving. 

Something along these lines would be great, give or take a few thousand pesos.  Some resorts wouldn't accept my offer when busy, but during the slow season its possible.

Out of the thousands of Visayan resorts, there must be a few dozen that meet my requirements.  Any help is appreciated, thanks.

post-3560-0-11753000-1379031613_thumb.jpg

Edited by blaze pontaine

Davaoeno

Preferably American, but Germans, Aussies, and Brits are ok too.  

My friend has a great resort - but unfortunately he is a Canadian so doesnt meet your criteria .

• Like 8

blaze pontaine

Canadian-owned resorts are fine, i just forgot about them.  Its an easy country to overlook on the globe, all tucked away in the corner. 

• Like 2

burnttoast

Maia's Beach Resort Bantayan Island.

blaze pontaine

Maia's Beach Resort Bantayan Island.

I checked out the website and will put it on my list.

Looks good...except for one thing. 

post-3560-0-79075600-1379035649_thumb.jpg

Davaoeno

Blaze is looking for a swimwear optional resort I think ???

LRK

My parents stayed here for almost a week in camiguin

http://www.camiguin.ph/ (action geckos resort)  http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g811339-d1566355-Reviews-Camiguin_Action_Geckos_Dive_Adventure_Resort-Mambajao_Camiguin_Mindanao.html comes out great on tripadvisor.

Visited them while there, great relaxing place. Beach is on your front door step. Reliable internet, good kitchen staff

What made my visit here was good brown bread (homemade!) and he has a wide variety of cheap but tasty asian/europian foods.
Usually has a menu of the day with 1 asian 1 europian 1 vegetarian meal to pick from, tell the kitchen what order you want before 4pm and they'll even pour you a free rum-coke.
Excellent cook, seriously for a non 'top-end' resort (like 5 stars as shangri-la/imperial etc) this was one of the better foods i've eaten in the Philippines

burnttoast

Aw damn the speedos! Yeah sorry about that, the day we visited there were no guests at all. This is the kind of place you can go if you really want to experience the peace and quiet of island life all day, every day. The location is south of bantayan town and west of santa fe, a decent ride from either. Very high attention to quality here from the wood finish of the cottages to the manacured grounds to the rock trail.

Edited by burnttoast

samatm

I like Mikes.. Mikes Beach resort -  Dumagete.    Great guy,  Great  food, (the Chili Fries  after a  dive can't be beat ! )   nice place,    Can't guarantee its Speedo Free -- guess depending on the groups coming in.     

http://mikes-beachresort.com/

I'll send you my paypal :) 

Edited by samatm

blaze pontaine

I've been to Mike's a few times during the day.  Its an awesome place but a little out of my price range.  If he would rent out rooms for 15k per month I would live there!

Salty Dog

I like Mikes.. Mikes Beach resort -  Dumagete.    Great guy,  Great  food, (the Chili Fries  after a  dive can't be beat ! )   nice place,    Can't guarantee its Speedo Free -- guess depending on the groups coming in.     

http://mikes-beachresort.com/

I'll send you my paypal :)

You beat me to it. I was also going to say Mikes. I have a friend who is a picky eater and he loves eating there. I'm not sure though if Mikes even has 10 rooms though. Can't beat the diving with trips to Apa Island.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g659926-d1748321-Reviews-Mike_s_Dauin_Beach_Resort-Dauin_Dumaguete_City_Negros_Island_Visayas.html

So here is another if your really into diving. Liquid is run by a Canadian and British couple. Not 20 rooms, but you have your own hut right off the beach. They ran high end diving shops for years until they could buy their own place. Great people. http://www.liquiddumaguete.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g659926-d2262057-Reviews-Liquid_Dumaguete-Dauin_Dumaguete_City_Negros_Island_Visayas.html

Unfortunately the beaches in the area aren't exactly up to most's idea of a beautiful tropical beach.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

ThomsonJr

Why even bother talking about giving 20,000 pesos while you're most likely not going to send them? Is that an American bluffing trick?

Edited by ThomsonJr

Half Baked

There's HK beach resort in Moalboal. White sand beach. Didn't eat at the restaurant, but they have one. Don't remember if there was a ref in the room.

Pretty decent place.

Davaoeno

Why even bother talking about giving 20,000 pesos while you're most likely not going to send them? Is that an American bluffing trick?

you are implying that Blaze is a dishonest scammer !!  Thats a pretty harsh assessment of someone you have never met .   I think you owe him an appology  

• Like 2

tokyoman

you are implying that Blaze is a dishonest scammer !!  Thats a pretty harsh assessment of someone you have never met .   I think you owe him an appology  

Blaze sounds serious alright

As I live out of hotels/resorts myself I am eager to hear if he finds something

Staying in and having visited hundreds of resorts here I have found that management do NOT like to discount even if it is 90% empty