Do you live in Poverty?

mactanfamily

I think you will find it quite interesting that the highest percentage of obesity and morbid obesity are RED States. Ya know-red=repub blue =dem

Link? Or are you just basing this on Chris Christie?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Lauie

• Davaoeno

• hyaku

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You gotta have guns  or the poor people  will break into your house and steal your twinkies and frozen pizzas, chocolate milk, and soda pop.   It's called 'survival of the  un-fittest'.

I think there should be an addendum to the definition of poverty:  if you're overweight you're not in poverty.    Seriously, how could a 300 lb person be poor?  Downsize to a double cheeseburger for

We are the first nation in the history of the world to go to the poor house in an automobile. will rogers

Kabisay-an gid

I think you will find it quite interesting that the highest percentage of obesity and morbid obesity are RED States. Ya know-red=repub blue =dem

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Obesity affects some groups more than others

• Non-Hispanic blacks have the highest age-adjusted rates of obesity (49.5%) compared with Mexican Americans (40.4%), all Hispanics (39.1%) and non-Hispanic whites (34.3%) [see JAMA. 2012;307(5):491-497. doi:10.1001/jama.2012.39].

Sources - U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Journal of the American Medical Association

Documented research reveals that the two most obese people groups in the USA are Blacks and Hispanics.

90+ percent of Blacks vote democrat. 70+ percent of Hispanics vote democrat.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is an agency of the federal government. The current Director of the agency is a democrat who was appointed by Obama.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

Link? Or are you just basing this on Chris Christie?

Actually, he's basing it on sheer BS.   :ROFLMAO:  

• Like 1

McDonalds? Can't afford that. Half a kilo of fresh veal mince for 150 pesos. Fat is free, onions, home laid fresh eggs and we get around 8 patties out of that. Fresh fruit off the trees, home killed chicken and pigs in the freezer, fresh fish off the boat brought to the door. We sell eggs in exchange for mozzarella and have to buy home made pizza crusts for 25 peso! Fresh pineapples at 25 too and home cured ham to make Hawaiian steaks. Life is hard!

Edited by hyaku

But feel free to buy the cheapest chicken you can find !  I wont knock you for doing so . 

Chicken is chicken for me. I do not care if they were comfortable or treated badly prior to making it to the grocery store. Price is deciding factor. I don't see the issue unless you have some type of health or religious problems.

20 is cheap!!!!

A bottle of cheap red wine $18

Appetizers with salmon and avocado $4

Lemon sorbet 2 USD

Deer fillet with potatoes au gratin $25

ice cream for dessert $3

Coffee and 4 cl Jon Bertelsen Symphonie X.O. $4

Approximately $56 for a typical home cooked dinner in Norway.

Norwegians have it good. A typical home cooked meal in the US for me was:

x2 instant noodles $0.20

x1 egg $0.08

x1 peanut butter sandwich $0.20

x1 glass of tap water $almost free.

Less than a buck.....including the electricity to run the microwave. (those were college years, I upgraded to lunch meat sandwiches when I got a job)

Obesity is quantity not quality. And of course eating too much of the wrong thing. What makes stuff taste good is fat, salt or sugar. It's a vicious circle for some I guess. Cut down on the volume and the stomach message that tells the brain, "Give me more" eventually stops. It's all about self discipline.

JSL-USMC

This evening I fried a chicken, The back and neck went in the soup pot, picked the meat off the bones when done returned it to the pot,  cooked noodles in the broth. Along with the ubiquitous pot of rice it fed seven people. Dessert was a mango float that my wife made yesterday. Total cost about around $6. I don't know if it was a particularly healthy meal but it sure was cheap. Give a whole chicken to most of the welfare recipients   and they probably wouldn't know what to do with it. I can make a whole chicken serve as the main course for two meals for the seven of us.

Enter your family size (relatives in the house included) and your monthly income to determine if by US standards you live in poverty.

Any number BELOW 100 means you are living below the  poverty level by US standards.

http://www.safetyweb.org/fpl.php

By the way,  American poverty just ain’t what it used to be. A new report from the Census Bureau found that 80.9% of households considered poverty stricken have cell phones along with their landline phones, and 58.2% have computers. 96.1% of those in “poverty” have televisions, and 83% have some sort of DVR!

The percentage owning refrigerators? 97.8%
Gas or electric stoves? 96.6%.
Microwaves? 93.2%
Air conditioning? Over 83%.
Washer? 68.7%
Dryer? 65.3%
People still don’t mind washing dishes, apparently; only 44.9% surveyed had a dishwasher.

Failed to mention that there are nearly as many whites on welfare as black.

Source: US Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Commerce, CATO Institute

Welfare Statistics

Total number of Americans on welfare 12,800,000

Total number of Americans on food stamps 46,700,000

Total number of Americans on unemployment insurance 5,600,000

Percent of the US population on welfare 4.1 %

Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment) $131.9 billion

Welfare Demographics

Percent of recipients who are white 38.8 %

Percent of recipients who are black 39.8 %

Percent of recipients who are Hispanic 15.7 %

Percent of recipients who are Asian 2.4 %

Percent of recipients who are Other 3.3 %

Welfare Statistics

Total amount of money you can make monthly and still receive Welfare $1000

Total Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than an $8 per hour job 39

Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than a $12 per hour job 6

Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than the average salary of a U.S. Teacher 8

Average Time on AFCD (Aid to Families with Dependent Children) Time on AFDC Percent of Recipients Less than 7 months 19% 7 to 12 months 15.2% 1 to 2 years 19.3% 2 to 5 years 26.9% Over 5 years 19.6%

Top 10 Hourly Wage Equivalent Welfare States in U.S. State Hourly Wage Equivalent

Hawaii $17.50

Alaska $15.48

Massachusetts $14.66

Connecticut $14.23

Washington, D.C. $13.99

New York $13.13

New Jersey $12.55

Rhode Island $12.55

California $11.59

Virginia $11.11

Edited by Reynaldo

According to that calculator, I am living in poverty.

Allow for the fact that almost all UK prices are 50% higher than the US would make it even more obvious.

However, I live very well and far better than most.

I do tend to shop and live economically, which is just a life-long habit.

Many people dont shop to save, they shop for what they want (not what they need) irrespective if cost.

As fo rthe preceeding post, in the UK, for those on benefits, lose  some or all of the benefit is they earn over £4 in any one week.

• Admin (Retired)

I'm assuming you're talking about frozen.

yes frozen if i remember correctly the ones that are not frozen from a different local store are about .89 cents a pound so basically 9 dollars for 10 pounds

but seeing as we are going to put them in the freezer when we get home we don't bother paying the extra

So i just dont get excited about someone scamming 200 us a month on food stamps especially an american

It's hardly someone though Smokey.  It's half the freakin country.

we cook from basic ingredients .. home cooking is better and cheaper than mcdonalds

we don't even buy pancake mix it's easy and cheap to make your own same for brownies

people now days are forgetting more and more how to cook truly from scratch

But I don't have time.  I have to hold down that couch for twelve hours.  It's hard.

• Like 2
Knowdafish

Home cooked meal costs at least $20 to make.

For some maybe, but that is not even close to being true for most people. I guess if one wants to eat steak and lobster at every meal it may cost $20. 

• Admin (Retired)

But I don't have time.  I have to hold down that couch for twelve hours.  It's hard.

that's what people say or how they feel.. but really it doesn't take longer or much longer and the results are much better

sure cooking just like anything else takes learning.. but it's something worth learning

we eat every day we should learn to enjoy it more the entire process

the things considered the great foods today were the peasant recipes of the past

learning to make great things with the things on hand, the things you can afford is the mark, always has been, of a great cook

but to each their own

we also like to garden and can but we haven't done that in a few years cause of moving around, already planning out next years garden though 

MattFromGA

A bottle of cheap red wine $18 Appetizers with salmon and avocado $4 Lemon sorbet 2 USD Deer fillet with potatoes au gratin $25 ice cream for dessert $3 Coffee and 4 cl Jon Bertelsen Symphonie X.O. $4

Nice comparative meal against a single Big Mac (not even a value meal, just the sandwich).