Do you live in Poverty?

mactanfamily

Irenicus

Right.

So, instead of whining ad nauseum about these welfare recipients "scamming" the system to live such luxurious, Beverly Hills lifestyles, why don't you all quit working, get on welfare and keep us updated on how wonderful it is.

:snap:

PM me your blog (a good number have free hosting - I think Obama gave that to them, too) so I can follow your foray into champagne nights and caviar dreams.

• Like 2
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Lauie

• Davaoeno

• hyaku

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You gotta have guns  or the poor people  will break into your house and steal your twinkies and frozen pizzas, chocolate milk, and soda pop.   It's called 'survival of the  un-fittest'.

I think there should be an addendum to the definition of poverty:  if you're overweight you're not in poverty.    Seriously, how could a 300 lb person be poor?  Downsize to a double cheeseburger for

We are the first nation in the history of the world to go to the poor house in an automobile. will rogers

It pays not to work: Hawaii residents receive highest welfare benefits in US

HONOLULU — In Hawaii, it pays not to work.

A new report by Cato Institute, which examines the state-by-state value of welfare for a mother of two, said benefits in Hawaii average $49,175 — tops in the nation.

Michael Tanner, co-author of the Cato study, said that since welfare isn’t taxed, a person would have to earn $60,590 in Hawaii to take home the same $49,175 a person on welfare would.

“To be clear: There is no evidence that people on welfare are lazy. Indeed, surveys of them consistently show their desire for a job. But they’re also not stupid. If you pay them more not to work than they can earn by working, many will choose not to work,” Tanner said in a summary of his report.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/it-pays-not-to-work-hawaiian-residents-receive-highest-welfare-benefits-in-us/123

If you think that worth can be measured by financial means, then you are impoverished.

It doesn't matter how much money you have. Some of the richest people I know, live on a very modest income, but measure their riches in family and friends.

• Like 5
MarinePride

If being poor is incentivized, but you can get by on it,  a lot of people will take that. Human nature virtually guarantees it because the easy way without effort is appealing. Being poor in the USA is nothing like being poor over here.  The poor in the USA are spoiled from what I've seen. 

Every once in a while on my drives around Lapu Lapu City, mainly near the Quezon National Highway that runs near the end of the runway, I see this vey dark and haggered looking native guy carrying his stuff in a sack.  I've seen him off and on in my nearly 4 years here.  That is the example of poor that I fills the really fills the definition of the word.  I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Americans are some of the most coddled people when it comes down to it. 

I volunteer at the local food bank a couple of days a week.  My partner and myself go around to the different local business's and pick up their donations and  take them back to the food bank for sorting and distribution. I gota say, sometimes I think these people are eating as well if not better than we do around my house.  The amount and quality of the donations at first was staggering to me.  I'm sure these folks have a lot of problems in their life but eating isn't at the top of that list.  On the route that I have Target ,Trader Joes and Winco are the big donors for us.  They have at least 8 to 10 shopping carts full of meats, pastries, breads, vegetables, and dairy products waiting for us a couple of days a week.

Doug

• Like 1

That $5 can often buy 3 pounds of raw chicken plus 2 pounds of frozen vegetables at my local supermarket.

Since I started trying to eat healthier myself about a year ago I have found that it doesn't really have to be expensive. Many people seem too lazy to eat healthier rather than too poor to eat healthier.

If crappy frozen pizzas are on sale at 4 for $10, chicken is on sale for $0.99 per pound, and frozen vegetables $1 per pound... I will see way more fat people spend $10 on the 4 frozen pizzas over 5 pounds of chicken and 5 pounds of vegetables.

I don't know where you buy your meat and vegetables from but even at Walmart, for a small skinless chicken breast alone, you're lucky if you can find one that's below $5. So unless you eat plain chicken breast without anything added (spices,  etc.) every night, a dinner that's cheaper than $5 is just not doable if you're being realistic.

Speaking of eating healthy, I'm a healthy eater myself for the most part and it is pretty dang expensive. What I used to spend at Walmart for 2 weeks worth of groceries is only enough money for what I spend at the organic store for a week of juicing. And that's only a 1-2 times a day of juicing 'cause sometimes I make smoothies too, or grill chicken breast for dinner. I'm "glad" my husband doesn't like the healthy stuff (lol), otherwise, we'd spend a fortune buying organic everything.

• Like 1
BossHog

even at Walmart, for a small skinless chicken breast alone, you're lucky if you can find one that's below $5.

Try buying a , erm, whole chicken and a kitchen knife if you don't already have one.

Probably cheaper than just one skinless chicken breast (which is incidently the most flavorless cut of the bird).

I sell both live and dressed chickens here. The foreigners buy dressed chickens the locals insist on the live birds.

Might be time for a remedial home-economics class.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

Home cooked meal costs at least $20 to make. A Big Mac costs less than $5. 

its hard to argue with logic like that !!

• Like 1
Davaoeno

anybody that can think that a home-cooked meal that they prepare for themselves is going to cost $20 needs their head examining.

whippy - you expect people to smile at your witticisms   but seem to have little sense of humor when it comes to other people's !

mmmm after reading post #21 i'm not so sure it was said in jest anymore !!  :ROFLMAO:

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Admin (Retired)

i pay 10.98 for 6 pounds of chicken breast at sams we buy 10 pound bags of chicken quarters at walmart for 5.90

• Like 3

I watched a news show recently that showed a family in the US who "fell on hard times" and were embarrassed to have use their food stamp WIC credit card. They followed her and her family (all grossly overweight) around the store as she loaded her cart. It was FILLED with Dr Pepper, candy, cake mix, cookies, and and about 50 frozen dinners.

"Its just so degrading" she said "Im embarrassed to have to use it".

Im so glad I pay for this.......You know folks, one day I'm gonna just get fed up and join em. I'll put a Hillary sticker on my truck next to my NRA sticker, apply for disability, food stamps, welfare and section 8 housing. Throw in a free Obama phone and Ill even put up some 'vote democrat' signs on my lawn. Wonder if I can stay in Cebu and still collect?

I think you will find it quite interesting that the highest percentage of obesity and morbid obesity are RED States. Ya know-red=repub blue =dem Edited by Baywak
Davaoeno

the fattest Americans i have seen have been in Florida, which according to google is a blue state [democrat]     But i havent been to all of the states 

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

I think you will find it quite interesting that the highest percentage of obesity and morbid obesity are RED States. Ya know-red=repub blue =dem

That because of all those hungry folks pouring out of dieing cities and moving from all those BLUE state to were they can actually find work and food at a more affordable price. :biggrin_01:

If being poor is incentivized, but you can get by on it,  a lot of people will take that. Human nature virtually guarantees it because the easy way without effort is appealing. Being poor in the USA is nothing like being poor over here.  The poor in the USA are spoiled from what I've seen. 

Every once in a while on my drives around Lapu Lapu City, mainly near the Quezon National Highway that runs near the end of the runway, I see this vey dark and haggered looking native guy carrying his stuff in a sack.  I've seen him off and on in my nearly 4 years here.  That is the example of poor that I fills the really fills the definition of the word.  I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Americans are some of the most coddled people when it comes down to it. 

well that is because all his money is invested in pork barrels 

I don't know where you buy your meat and vegetables from but even at Walmart, for a small skinless chicken breast alone, you're lucky if you can find one that's below $5. So unless you eat plain chicken breast without anything added (spices,  etc.) every night, a dinner that's cheaper than $5 is just not doable if you're being realistic.

$5 for one chicken breast? Is that some kind of special hippie free range organic tofu fed halal and kosher certified chicken?

• Like 1