Do you live in Poverty?

mactanfamily

mactanfamily

Enter your family size (relatives in the house included) and your monthly income to determine if by US standards you live in poverty.

Any number BELOW 100 means you are living below the  poverty level by US standards.

http://www.safetyweb.org/fpl.php

By the way,  American poverty just ain’t what it used to be. A new report from the Census Bureau found that 80.9% of households considered poverty stricken have cell phones along with their landline phones, and 58.2% have computers. 96.1% of those in “poverty” have televisions, and 83% have some sort of DVR!

The percentage owning refrigerators? 97.8%
Gas or electric stoves? 96.6%.
Microwaves? 93.2%
Air conditioning? Over 83%.
Washer? 68.7%
Dryer? 65.3%
People still don’t mind washing dishes, apparently; only 44.9% surveyed had a dishwasher.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Lauie

• Davaoeno

• hyaku

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You gotta have guns  or the poor people  will break into your house and steal your twinkies and frozen pizzas, chocolate milk, and soda pop.   It's called 'survival of the  un-fittest'.

I think there should be an addendum to the definition of poverty:  if you're overweight you're not in poverty.    Seriously, how could a 300 lb person be poor?  Downsize to a double cheeseburger for

We are the first nation in the history of the world to go to the poor house in an automobile. will rogers

• Admin (Retired)

We are the first nation in the history of the world to go to the poor house in an automobile.

will rogers

• Like 6
blaze pontaine

I think there should be an addendum to the definition of poverty:  if you're overweight you're not in poverty. 

Seriously, how could a 300 lb person be poor?  Downsize to a double cheeseburger for dinner instead of the triple bacon cheeseburger and you might be able to pay save some money for rent.

• Like 7
mactanfamily

I watched a news show recently that showed a family in the US who "fell on hard times" and were embarrassed to have use their food stamp WIC credit card. They followed her and her family (all grossly overweight) around the store as she loaded her cart. It was FILLED with Dr Pepper, candy, cake mix, cookies, and and about 50 frozen dinners.

"Its just so degrading" she said "Im embarrassed to have to use it".

Im so glad I pay for this.......You know folks, one day I'm gonna just get fed up and join em. I'll put a Hillary sticker on my truck next to my NRA sticker, apply for disability, food stamps, welfare and section 8 housing. Throw in a free Obama phone and Ill even put up some 'vote democrat' signs on my lawn. Wonder if I can stay in Cebu and still collect?

• Like 2

Every country and every race has scammers just have to accept it as the way of the world     in the late 80 i bought a fishing boat from the SBA and paid 65,000 us the boat originally cost 235,000 when build 7 years earlier it was sold to a Viet namise family thru the SBA they made 6 payments then stopped and it took years to get the boat back because they claimed they could not understand the court action by the SBA as it was not their native dialectic. But they used the boat and did 0 maint for years and finally the SBA got the boat back and i bought it ... it was one of 6 boats this family owned the other 5 were still in the court process so in amount scammed this one family did way over 1.5 million us .... So i just dont get excited about someone scamming 200 us a month on food stamps especially an american  ///////////////  side note they received the loan 255,000 us per family member at  1% and still did not pay . of course the SBA offered to loan me money as a VETERAN at 5%   guess i should of  been on the other side during viet nam to get the real bennies

Edited by smokey
  • Like 2

Seriously, how could a 300 lb person be poor? 

Home cooked meal costs at least $20 to make. A Big Mac costs less than $5. 

• Like 1
Dragonladies.org

Downsize to a double cheeseburger for dinner instead of the triple

bacon cheeseburger and you might be able to pay save some money for

rent.

The really poor people aren't exactly hitting the burger joints for meals.   (They don't take food stamps)

You can probably COOK a meal for the typical family in the US for under $3 a head...if you actually COOK, not warm up crap or use pre-packaged stuff.

We're not talking steak and taters every night, but not boxed macaroni and cheese, either.

Few people actually cook in the US anymore.

When you go to the store and see frozen waffles, pancakes, biscuits....WTF?  Walk an aisle over and they have this stuff at 1/3 the price in a packaged pre-mix envelope.   How hard is it to add a cup of water, stir, heat up a skillet....etc.

convenience foods have become staple items. 

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I've heard that cheap foods are usually more fattening than foods you should be eating, but are often more expensive.

Edited by Salty Dog

Home cooked meal costs at least $20 to make. A Big Mac costs less than $5. 

That $5 can often buy 3 pounds of raw chicken plus 2 pounds of frozen vegetables at my local supermarket.

Since I started trying to eat healthier myself about a year ago I have found that it doesn't really have to be expensive. Many people seem too lazy to eat healthier rather than too poor to eat healthier.

If crappy frozen pizzas are on sale at 4 for $10, chicken is on sale for $0.99 per pound, and frozen vegetables $1 per pound... I will see way more fat people spend $10 on the 4 frozen pizzas over 5 pounds of chicken and 5 pounds of vegetables.

• Like 6

In Australia we are 'fed' a constant meme that an unemployed person in America can receive 'the dole' for 18 months (?) and then they are left to starve to death!

Could one of you folk clarify, in broad terms, what is the real situation?

Thanks

• Admin (Retired)

we cook from basic ingredients .. home cooking is better and cheaper than mcdonalds

we don't even buy pancake mix it's easy and cheap to make your own same for brownies

people now days are forgetting more and more how to cook truly from scratch

• Like 6
mactanfamily

In Australia we are 'fed' a constant meme that an unemployed person in America can receive 'the dole' for 18 months (?) and then they are left to starve to death!

Could one of you folk clarify, in broad terms, what is the real situation?

Thanks

LOL

Unemployment , now available up to 73 weeks, depending on the state. On average, unemployed Americans can receive 53 weeks of unemployment insurance, up from 26 weeks before the recession.

Over 8.9 million adults received disability insurance from the Social Security Administration in July 2013, the latest data available. The number of people receiving benefits is 23 percent higher compared to five years earlier and 55 percent higher than 2003. Benefits are higher, too. Recipients get an average of $1,129 monthly, 12 percent more than in 2008 and 35 percent more than in 2003.

Over 47 million Americans receive benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly food stamps). 47 MILLION!

No there is also subsidized health care for those earning below 400 percent of the poverty line under OBUMBERCare.

Now for the real kicker......
Welfare benefits pay more than a minimum wage job in 33 states. Even worse, welfare pays more than $15 per hour in 13 states.
Hawaii is the biggest offender, where welfare recipients earn $29.13 per hour, or a $60,590 yearly salary, all for doing nothing. 
Edited by mactanfamily
  • Like 1

Correct me where I am wrong please,

-Unemployment is a State benefit,

-Disability insurance is Federal benefit,

-Health care is a Federal benefit,

-Food stamps is a Federal benefit.

And who provides housing subsidy/benefit?

Thanks again...

mactanfamily

Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. § 1437f), often simply known as Section 8, authorizes the payment of rental housing assistance to private landlords on behalf of approximately 3.1 million low-income households.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development manages the Section 8 programs.

A lot of renters in Guam have it. The places at the end of the lease are destroyed and basically unlivable. Getting harder to find owners willing to accept section 8 payment.

udonthani

anybody that can think that a home-cooked meal that they prepare for themselves is going to cost $20 needs their head examining.

• Like 2