Skype performance?

I used to Skype regularly to friends in China and Korea but for last 2 or 3 weeks the Skype performance has been terrible. My friends can Skype to other countries with no performance issues, but Skype performance to the PI, as least for me. has been bad.  I use the PLDT basic package (about .5 mbps) at home.  Has anyone else noticed poor Skype performance lately?  Do you think an upgrade of my PLDT service will alleviate this problem?  

I used to Skype regularly to friends in China and Korea but for last 2 or 3 weeks the Skype performance has been terrible. My friends can Skype to other countries with no performance issues, but Skype performance to the PI, as least for me. has been bad.  I use the PLDT basic package (about .5 mbps) at home.  Has anyone else noticed poor Skype performance lately?  Do you think an upgrade of my PLDT service will alleviate this problem?  

i haven't been able to reach my brother in the u.s. the last 2 weeks, even though it indicates he is on line.  i try out a call and i don't get the beeping noise it usually makes and then it will eventually say call failed.  i try calling my wife at her office here and it works fine. 

Edited by rfm010

I have noticed that video is very choppy theses days when I chat with my SO using Skype.

My wife says Skype to Cebu City and the Province from New England has been same as usual lately.

In general, one needs to establish benchmarks to know how much something is 'off'. Find some speed tests on the internet and get some numbers- then test periodically.

You can do a trace route to an IP address to see how servers in between are responding- thus who to blame:

Using later versions of Windows-

click Explorer button and type

cmd

into the search box

an evil black window should open

type

tracert n.n.n.n

where n.n.n.n

is the IP address of your target

You can do a 'who is' lookup on the internet to find out who/where those weird router names are.

Bon voyage.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Skype has gone to shit since MIcrosoft bought them. I am slowly eliminating skype from my life. Its not easily done overnight because I have several skype in numbers etc 

CardiacKid

Skype has gone to shit since MIcrosoft bought them. I am slowly eliminating skype from my life. Its not easily done overnight because I have several skype in numbers etc 

Doesn't everything Microsoft touches turn to shit? I can't wait to see what they do with Nokia. 

• Like 1

Skypes been working normal(perfectly fine) for me from Cebu to the US. 

PLDT however has been having more problems. We have been getting fairly massive packet loss for the last 1-2 weeks. At some times I literally have to reload a webpage 10+ times to get it to fully load. We had a 2.0mbs plan and upgraded to what I think is a 3.0mbs plan. It didn't help.  An online game I play, AVA, said they have been having a lot of problems with network congestion with PLDT and are trying to work with them to resolve the issue. We shall see.

I use smartbro and skype but if I video call it will drop out. Skype used to be good but now kind of sux...................

BTW, if you're using skype, you can get some 'numbers' by clicking on call/call technical information and reading BW.  These show the bandwidth up and down.

Internet service in the Phils is on the verge of break down. PLDT is still pretty good. They must be having some server issues that the throughput is slow.

More and more people want DSL and that is overload to PLDT. Especially that they go waaaay beyond the mileage limit for a DSL. Maybe they are using boosters or converters to get onto fiber to the Central office.

Smart Bro isn't any faster than the old dial-up days of 56kbs. Poor installations and poor signals are killing any Wi-Fi service there.

Skype has been fair to good for me (USA) and Manila......Gets really tricky to Skype to someone in Mindanao.

Skype is still the better video chat. Yahoo video is awful.

Is there any internet offerings on any cable service there? That 's where the Phils can shine. We get 25mbs down and 3 up on our Comcast cable in the USA.

Fred

Edited by fredanna

Skype is usually crap...dropped calls and poor video. When I was finally allows to do FaceTime calls over 3G here in the US, it was much better in all respects.

David_LivinginTalisay

Take it from me who has used Skype from China (Sichuan and now Hunan), at peak times (evenings usually) the video performance and audio quality really sucks.  Not only that but the call drops out with message 'Trying to reconnect'.

I was advised to give QQi (Software by Tencent) a try as the fellow Brit Teacher, with a Chinese wife and son in Beijing used that all the time to keep in touch.   Most Chinese use QQ for Chat, Tak, Video rather than Skype of Facebook (which is blocked in China).

I posted about this in Post #138 of  Living (& working) in China!

Download, install and try it - chances are those in China already have  QQ and are using it, others in Korea etc will have to also install and use QQi rather than Skype and there is the rub.  

Like Philips V2000 was technically better than Sony Betamax, which itself was better (technology wise - less tape stretch), than VHS, which Video Format was the most popular!The one that most people used, which was VHS (the worst of the 3 formats from performance and technology viewpoint).

Skype is most popular in the Western world, simply because most of the people you might want to connect to, are probably using it.

Skype is BAD, since it is proprietary format and can't interconnect directly with VoIP SIP Phones.  I also read it uses the Network B/W for Routing (Peer to Peer sharing), so is using B/W, if Skype is running on your PC (or Mobile Phone), even if you are NOT making a call to anyone!

Get the latest QQ International and enjoy the most complete communications suite for global citizens! Enjoy multi-user HD video calls, multimedia group streaming, and live chat translations to 50 languages.

Download QQ International

Current version: 2.0 - Released 27 Aug. 2013

QQ International is compatible with Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

And yes, there is also a Mac version!

Join our community on Facebook for news and fun stuff.

QQ-pic.png

I don't think skype is peer to peer anymore, so it doesn't use bandwidth when it's not being used.  One annoying aspect is when it's "trying to reconnect", it's often quicker to hand up and redial.  

I remember 6 or so years back using yahoo messenger, webcam to webcam (External)and it was almost crystal clear to Philippines...the new video call seems to be terrible with connecting and dropouts.

Skype here is a real pain...sis-inlaw has a terrible time trying to talk to her hubby in middle east...

I gave up on Skype a while ago. Using Google Hangouts (previously Google Talk) from the Smartphone or from Gmail works much better. On Smart Buddy or Globe Flash. It's both sufficient most of the time. At least in Bohol or Cebu, but also worked nicely in Bantayan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Edited by nomad4ever